How to ... Align (Webinterface)

Frank

Hello,

is there some Dokumentation about the Web Interface? Or a User guide?
Whats the difference between Home and Park Position?
Sometimes the Alignment shows me 1 Star, sometimes there are more options (3 and 6 Stars)
How do I Align in general? I thought that I am slewing to a Star and choose it to align. But I can only click on it and nothing happens. I want to Use it with Stellarium Mobile Plus.

Do I need other Apps for Alignment?

Many Thanks in advanced

/frank

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 03:00 PM, Frank wrote:
is there some Dokumentation about the Web Interface? Or a User guide?
Whats the difference between Home and Park Position?
Home position is the celestial pole in your hemisphere.
Park position may be different, depending on how you want the telescope 'stored', in case there is a dome or cover, and so on.

How do I Align in general? I thought that I am slewing to a Star and choose it to align. But I can only click on it and nothing happens.
Alignment works like this:
- You tell OnStep that you want to align on n stars (3 is the recommended minimum).
- You then do a slew to the first star, then manually guide to center it, and once centered, you do a Sync.
- Repeat the previous step for the remaining 2 stars.
- OnStep will take some time to calculate the deltas, then display the Alt and Az offsets in the web interface.

I want to Use it with Stellarium Mobile Plus.
Never used it. But if you start an Align from the web interface, then do the remaining steps (slew, center, sync) from Stellarium, it should work.

Do I need other Apps for Alignment?
Technically you don't 'need' it, but I highly recommend the Android App, if you have an Android device.
It supports everything that OnStep offers and is very handy for start and end of session tasks.
It also has a built in catalog of stars, so you can do the alignment completely from it, without needing a planetarium ...

Frank

Thank you for your response!

How do i Sync? is it the accept button?

I Only have got iOS Devices.

Thank you in Advanced

Khalid Baheyeldin

I don't use the Web Interface for alignment, so I don't know if it is the Accept button.

There is an iOS app for OnStep, but it is not written by Howard, so may be missing features, or has bugs.
It is called GotoMote.
Try it and see if it works.

Frank

Thank you for your very fast response!

Ahhh the @ Sign in the middle is the Sync button.

I tried using GotoMote and its Buggy and not compatible with actual iOS versions... I am clicking on Bright Stars or Messier objects it crashes.

But Again to Alignment:

So for example I put the telescope on my balcony… and slew it to Star Arcturus, after that I connect vie Stellarium mobile and choose it with „middle“ so it is selected as middle…

Then press the „1 Star Button“ on the Web GUI? And Sync?

After that I choosed another star in Stellarium which is next to the Arcturus and pressed goto in Stellarium… the telescope was moving ALZ over 360° and pointed ALT to the dark :( After that OnStep crashed for an unknown reason.

in GotoMote there is an accept button too... called accept alignment... don't know if its working and I thought that the sync button is syncing the position?

How do I do a 3 Star alignment? I mean... when does the telescope know if I am align the first or second... third star? there I no feedback that the alignment did work.

Which App do you use? And what are your steps if you do an alignment?

Many Thanks for your time in Advanced

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 04:18 PM, Frank wrote:

But Again to Alignment:

First read this https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/3865

Before you power on the mount, assuming it is an equatorial mount, it has to be pointing to your north celestial pole.
After you power up, you need to have the location, date and time set.

Then you start a 3 star align (do it from the web interface '3*' button, and most likely you need to press Accept after that).
The choose in your mind 3 stars on different sides of the meridian.

Then in Stellarium, you slew to the first star, it will not be in the center of the eyepiece.
You use the guide buttons to center it (N, S, W, E), then press the '@' button on the web interface.
First star is done.

Repeat for the remaining stars.

If you have done it properly, the main page of the web interface will display the Alt and Az errors of alignment.

How do I do a 3 Star alignment? I mean... when does the telescope know if I am align the first or second... third star? there I no feedback that the alignment did work.

An Accept or Sync means that you have done the corrections necessary to center the star that you slewed to.
Sync accepts the alignment point only if you have started an n-star align.

Which App do you use? And what are your steps if you do an alignment?

Android App and KStars.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 04:33 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
Then you start a 3 star align (do it from the web interface '3*' button, and most likely you need to press Accept after that).
Ignore that part. It is a mistake.

You press Accept after you have centered the star.
Or you use the '@' button.
Same effect either way, which is to tell OnStep: I have aligned one star, now expect the next star.

Frank

Hello Khalid,

thank you for your help. I decided to Use SkySafari due it can do an alignment too and its much easier with that. I am now facing other issues, but I will first search the messages :-)

Take care and stay healthy!

simingx@...

Just a quick question; if I use SkySafari to select the star, do I center and align it using the buttons in SkySafari or the Onstep app?

Howard Dutton

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 07:57 AM, <simingx@...> wrote:
Just a quick question; if I use SkySafari to select the star, do I center and align it using the buttons in SkySafari or the Onstep app?
Either, or both if you like ;)