MKS Gen L v1.0 + TMC2209 V3 UART problem #mks #tmc2209 #fysetc #uart

scepo_88@...

Hi to all i really hope that someone could help me.
I bought MKS Gen L v1.0 board and fysetc TMC2209 v3 stepper drivers.
Problem is i dont know how to connect them in UART i tried everything and watch all tutorials i could find but on all others TMC2209 there are 3 pins on top, but on fysetc there are just two... https://wiki.fysetc.com/Silent2209/
I dont understand schematic, so i would appreciate if someone can tell me what to do.
Thanks in advance

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 04:10 AM, <scepo_88@...> wrote:
Problem is i dont know how to connect them in UART
That is not supported, stand-alone mode only.

scepo_88@...

Are you sure ? What is purpose of upper pins then? I watched lot of tutorials people connecting exact same drivers via uart on SKR.1.3 and 1.4 but not on MKS Gen L...

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 05:02 AM, <scepo_88@...> wrote:
Are you sure ? What is purpose of upper pins then? I watched lot of tutorials people connecting exact same drivers via uart on SKR.1.3 and 1.4 but not on MKS Gen L...
Ok, let me qualify that last statement.  OnStep does not support UART mode for any TMCxxxx driver.

I also have no plans to add that feature at this time.

As Howard said, OnStep cannot use the UART interface.

You can still use the TMC2209, but you are limited to microstepping of: 64,32,16,or 8.
Not a real limitation though, since it covers the range we use it at.