STM32 Blue Pill : Windows doesn't detect CP2102 #uart

Hemendra Rawat

Hi,

I just finished my Onstep Blue Pill PCB (version 1.8) and I'm in the process of flashing Onstep firmware on STM32. I powered on the board and connected my Windows 10 PC to CP2102 using a micro-USB cable but windows doesn't show any COM ports in the device manager. By reading the wiki, it appears like windows should detect it without installing any special drivers. Am I missing anything ? How do I debug this issue ?

Regards,
Hemendra

Mike Ahner

Windows will detect the CP2102 if things are working. Do you get a red light on the CP2102 when you plug in the USB cable? The CP2102 is powered only from the USB port of the computer, so if you don't have a red led, you don't have a good connection to the computer. Perhaps your cable is bad?

If you have a red led but no COM port in the device manager, then perhaps your USB cable is a charging cable, not a data cable. Again, try another good USB cable.

The CP2102 will light red and show as a COM port without power to the OnStep controller. Another possibility is the CP2102 is defective.

-Mike

Hemendra Rawat

Thanks Mike. It was just a bad Micro USB cable.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020, 8:44 PM Mike Ahner <mahner@...> wrote:
Windows will detect the CP2102 if things are working. Do you get a red light on the CP2102 when you plug in the USB cable? The CP2102 is powered only from the USB port of the computer, so if you don't have a red led, you don't have a good connection to the computer. Perhaps your cable is bad?

If you have a red led but no COM port in the device manager, then perhaps your USB cable is a charging cable, not a data cable. Again, try another good USB cable.

The CP2102 will light red and show as a COM port without power to the OnStep controller. Another possibility is the CP2102 is defective.

-Mike

Dave Schwartz

Try a different cable - one you know works to exchange data.

A lot of micro-USB cables are made as 'power-only'. If you picked up one that came with a device that only needed to charge and not exchange data, the manufacturer likely cheaped-out and omitted the two data wires.

You would not be the first (or second) who has fallen into this trap in this exact situation.