Topics

Flashing S6 #fysetc

Lloyd Simons

Happy New Year everyone. The Fysetc S6 (V2) I ordered was delivered today (the USPS must be trying to get caught up) and I am having trouble flashing. I went through the extensive list of steps on the Wiki (adding the STM libraries, changing the address line in the .bat file, installing stmcube programmer etc.) and can get Onstep (4.23d) to compile. However, when i try to upload to the board, I keep getting an error when it tries to open the COM port. The bootloader shows up in the device list at the start and as soon as the Arduino IDE gives the error, the COM port then shows up in the device manger. I tried what is described here https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/message/27157 with no success. Any ideas?

Khalid Baheyeldin

I got a FYSETC S6 V2 recently, and was able to flash it normally.
The two things that I had to figure out are:

- What is the position for the Boot0 header? Turns out that you have to jumper the two pins closer to the USB port.
- Where does 5V power come from? Since there was no power supply, I jumpered it for 5V from the USB cable.

Once I did that, it flashed normally.

Not sure if any of the above will help in your case, since you may be facing a Windows driver issue, which I can't advice
on one way or the other, since I don't use that operating system.

Lloyd Simons

Khalid,
I figured the boot0 jumper by trial and error. I've tried 5v by USB and from DC5V and neither works. I'll try the driver.
Lloyd

Lloyd Simons

Progress! I updated the driver and I was successfully able to flash. Now I can use the serial monitor and the wifi server to communicate with the board. However, if I try to interface with the board by usb using the ASCOM driver it says it can't find Onstep.

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 02:16 PM, Lloyd Simons wrote:
Progress! I updated the driver and I was successfully able to flash. Now I can use the serial monitor and the wifi server to communicate with the board. However, if I try to interface with the board by usb using the ASCOM driver it says it can't find Onstep.
The DTR control is required for any STM32F4 using the onboard USB virtual serial.

Lloyd Simons

That did it. I always wondered when that check box was needed. Thanks Howard.

Ken

Hi Lloyd,

I am having issues connecting to the target as well, same board (v2.0), set jumpers for 5v on USB and boot. The device shows up as a com port (com3) in device mgr. I am using Win 10. Upon upload, my error is Target device not found. What driver did you update?
Ken

Khalid Baheyeldin

Did you wire the Boot0 jumper correctly?
In order for the board to be in DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode, you need the two pins closer to the USB port to connected together, before you power on the board.

Lloyd Simons

If you right click on the device in the manger and open the properties there is a button to update the driver. I'm not 100% sure this is what solved the issue. I found that restarting Arduino IDE before I flashed was needed to have it flash properly. Make sure you have the boot0 jumpered properly and 5V on USB. Then plug it in to your PC. Confirm the DFU device (bootloader) in in Device manager. Then open Arduino and try to flash. The Arduino will not show a com port when you start this process but it should show up after flashing.

Ken

Thank you both! I was able to update the driver and pointed it to STM32Bootloader.inf from the DFU_Driver dir. This seemed to fix it and it flashed successfully.

Andreas Haug

Hello,

i did everything what was described in the manual for flashing the FYSETC S6 (V2) board.
I have received the following status:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: "3D printer boards, FYSETC_S6, STM32CubeProgrammer (DFU), Enabled (generic 'Serial'), CDC (generic 'Serial' supersede U(S)ART), Low/Full Speed, Fastest (-O3), Newlib Nano + Float Printf/Scanf"
Der Sketch verwendet 179856 Bytes (39%) des Programmspeicherplatzes. Das Maximum sind 458752 Bytes.
Globale Variablen verwenden 14016 Bytes (10%) des dynamischen Speichers, 117056 Bytes für lokale Variablen verbleiben. Das Maximum sind 131072 Bytes.

                       STM32CubeProgrammer v2.5.0
USB speed   : Full Speed (12MBit/s)
Manuf. ID   : STMicroelectronics
Product ID  : STM32  BOOTLOADER
SN          : STM32FxSTM32
FW version  : 0x011a
Device ID   : 0x0421
Device name : STM32F446xx
Flash size  : 512 KBytes (default)
Device type : MCU
Device CPU  : Cortex-M4

Memory Programming ...

Opening and parsing file: OnStep.ino.bin
  File          : OnStep.ino.bin
  Size          : 180352 Bytes
  Address       : 0x08010000
Erasing memory corresponding to segment 0:
Erasing internal memory sectors [4 5]
erasing sector 0004 @: 0x08010000 done
erasing sector 0005 @: 0x08020000 done
Download in Progress:
File download complete
Time elapsed during download operation: 00:00:07.226
RUNNING Program ...
  Address:      : 0x8000000
Start operation achieved successfully

I assume the flash was sucessfull. How to open the onstep program and check if it works ?

Sorry - i give myself a big facepalm.. But i don't know how to open the interface to the card and the screen as seen in the previous post from Ken.

Thanks
Andy

Dave Schwartz

With the Arduino IDE, when you open the OnStep.ino file it will automatically load all the other files from that directory in separate tabs and when you click the 'Upload' arrow it will automagically pull in everything needed to complete the compilation and upload it as a single executable.

On 2021-01-17 10:24 a.m., masterploxis@web.de wrote:
Hello,

how exactly is the flashing done ?

- what files re needed to be loaded in Ardunio IDE ?

I have managed everything else (STM32, CubeProgrammer, DFU Mode)
Only the process of flashing and wha files need to be flashed is currently my biggest question..

And sorry for double incase my previous post will show up someday..

Andy

Dave Schwartz

Perfect.

As to testing whether OnStep is running, read the last section of the 'Uploading the Firmware' chapter of the Wiki https://groups.io/g/onstep/wiki/Getting%2C-Configuring-and-Uploading-Firmware

On 2021-01-17 10:56 a.m., masterploxis@web.de wrote:
Hello,

[...]

Hi Dave,

thanks for the fast response.

The serial monitor indeed gives me the response : On-Step#
So the firmware was flashed successfully and the board is working with the onstep firmware.

Now i can go futher with my project.

Thanks again
Andy