Another GPS Module: AGM336H

Khalid Baheyeldin

I tested the AGM336H GPS module with OnStep on a FYSETC S6, and can confirm that it works.

How is this module different from the more widely used NEO 7M ones?
It is very small (15.7 x 13.1 mm), works with all the satellite constellations (USA, Russia, China, Japan, Europe), and comes with a ceramic antenna that can fit inside the box (one less cable!)

They claim it can get a fix from cold start in 32 seconds. Testing indoors, it is much more than that.
About 1 minute 50 seconds, but at least it does get a fix. The NEO 7M with an proper external antenna
usually does not get a fix for me indoors.

It is also somewhat cheaper, but not by much.

Here is where you can buy it on eBay, and a page with the specifications.

koal01

Good to know, i'd like to test this module
On the paper it is written that the Neo6 can get a fix after 18 seconds,  i tested this module indoor and outdoor and was not disappointed, around 30 seconds for time and date and between 2 and 4 minutes to get the location after the triangulation of several satellites.
In my setup I soldered a 30 mm wire on the central pin o the antenna and leave it outside the box (i had nothing better around me), actually it helps a lot

koal01

...erratum the wire is 30 cm and not 30 mm

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 04:49 AM, koal01 wrote:
On the paper it is written that the Neo6 can get a fix after 18 seconds,  i tested this module indoor and outdoor and was not disappointed, around 30 seconds for time and date and between 2 and 4 minutes to get the location after the triangulation of several satellites.
I don't have a Ublox NEO 6M, but I do have a NEO 7M.
The 7M looks very similar to the one in your picture, with a microUSB port, and the antenna connector.

It does not work indoors at all without an antenna, although it has a large ceramic built in antenna.
When I connect the external antenna, it took 1 minute 20 seconds to get a fix.

Performance is similar to the the AGM336H, but the latter has the advantage of the antenna being inside the box (no cables hanging out).

koal01

The ATGM 336H will soon be tested Khalid, i tested today the Neo-8, what can i say...tested indoor and without antenna 10 seconds and satellites fixed just the time you need to open the monitor.
The big drawback is that it is not using the TinyGPSplus library...only the NeoGPS one