OnStep replacement board for #eq6

Roman Hujer

It is my OnStep replacement board for EQ 6 Pro

Key properties:

  • Easy replacement of the original Synscan board (four screws and reconnect three wires)

  • Big USB B port

  • Bluetooth

  • Wi-Fi

  • Internal real time clock and PPS with battery backup

  • Port for polar scope illuminator

  • Three-channel controller for dew heaters or fans

  • DSLR timer

  • Weather sensor - temperature, pressure and humidity

Panel for 3D printing on Thingiverse

Wiring diagram and PCB are on EasyEDA.

Pinmaps is based on MaxESP3 but requires the following minor modifications:

#define Aux7             36  // 36 is internal DS3132 PPS or 39 external (GPS) PPS
#define OneWirePin       15  // OneWire
#define ReticlePin       19  // Polar scope iluminator
#define TonePin          2   // Tone

// PEC  Optional - not use now
#define PecPin              39
#define AnalogPecPin        A3   // PEC Sense, analog or digital (GPIO39)

Roman

Mike Ahner

Very impressive, Roman! Very well done!

I think it could be mounted into a 3D printed box and used externally as a standalone controller, like the other boards. And everything is there, ready to go.

Good job and thanks for your work!
-Mike

Roman Hujer

I've already considered a design and a separate box for this board. Roman

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

As always, top notch work Roman! I did notice that the link to your FreeCad files did not work.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Great solution Roman ...

One improvement: the temperature sensor is inside the mount housing, and near heat emitting sources (drivers, motors).

If you have that sensor mounted in a way that it is outside the enclosure, it may get a better reading of real ambient temperature and humidity.

Mike Ahner

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 05:51 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
One improvement: the temperature sensor is inside the mount housing, and near heat emitting sources (drivers, motors).

If you have that sensor mounted in a way that it is outside the enclosure, it may get a better reading of real ambient temperature and humidity.
Actually, it appears the BME280 is mounted on the pcb using a standoff socket and is located in the square hole to the left of the power connector and to the right of the DSLR Timer jack, allowing it to sense outside air.

-Mike

Roman Hujer

Hi Drew
FreeCAD Link is https://github.com/romanhujer/OnStep-Box/blob/master/EQ6.FCStd
On EasyEDA now Fix :-) Roman

Roman Hujer

Hi Khalid

Yes this is possible, BME280 in the socket, wall is at the installation site very thin can be easily cut out and the sensor placed completely outside the box. I currently have foam insulation glued to the bottom of the sensor, the motor controllers are TMC5160, which, unlike TMC2130, do not generate as much heat.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 07:54 AM, Mike Ahner wrote:

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 05:51 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

One improvement: the temperature sensor is inside the mount housing, and near heat emitting sources (drivers, motors).

If you have that sensor mounted in a way that it is outside the enclosure, it may get a better reading of real ambient temperature and humidity.

Actually, it appears the BME280 is mounted on the pcb using a standoff socket and is located in the square hole to the left of the power connector and to the right of the DSLR Timer jack, allowing it to sense outside air.

-Mike

no_name

Hello and greetings from Serbia!
I have an old mount EQ6 with Boxdörfer MTS-3 SLP and want to convert it to onstep fully working mount...
Can you please help me with this...
I would buy what ever I need for that, or even better if I can find it like a fully working kit, so I can just install it...
Thanks in advance!

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 07:42 PM, <2204986@...> wrote:
I have an old mount EQ6 with Boxdörfer MTS-3 SLP and want to convert it to onstep fully working mount...
Can you please help me with this...
I would buy what ever I need for that, or even better if I can find it like a fully working kit, so I can just install it...
First and most important and difficult part is the motors.
Does the mount already have stepper motors?
If it does, then you already have half the solution.

Second, electronics: there are plenty of solutions, with varying characteristics.
Some are full featured, others with less features.
Most are fast, few are slow.
Some require electronics and soldering skills, others require almost no assembly.
What is your electronics skill level? Can you solder?

no_name

- Mount has pulse motors, like you can see in pictures
- For now I would be satisfied with goto function and guiding
- If I can use what I have to build goto or to put in use,. that would be great start
- Yes I can solder, but SMD, even I have station I am not in to it... Because of that, these PCB of mr Rowan is bound my capabilities, and I cannot find any full god solutions for fully manufactured unit via online... And his solution I think right now is the best solution for any EQ6....

George Cushing

Great old motors. Vixen's stand by. But on the Great Polaris with an intermediary 1:! ratio and the 120:1 gearbox the pulses were visible. Think this mount has a 180:1 crown to worm ratio. So conversions use a tooth belt and pullies to get a lower ratio. The goto version of this mount used these Han Son NEMA 14 steppers available here

Some links you may want to visit: belt drive mod
CN discussion of EQ6 options.
OnStep group EQ-6 and black HEQ-5.

On the whole you may want to look at the MiniPCB2. A lot easier to construct and it should fit in the mount. The Han Son motors are rated for 10Ncm (14.16oz.in) holding torque, but there are NEMA 17 motors with the same torque and 400 set resolution that are only 21mm deep. These will give you better resolution.