Building an old black eq6... #eq6


Luca Era (Lukewas)
 

Dear all,
I found an old eq6 mount without motors and electronics...do you think that is possible to rebuild it using nema motors used for onstep, with gears and belts? Or I have to rebuild all the original mount?
Thanks in advance.


Dave Schwartz
 

As long as the worm gears are there is will absolutely be possible to add motors and OnStep to make a fine goto mount. You should be able to find lots of pictures online of how the NEMA 17 motors are mounted inside the 'bread loaf' on the DEC axis. If the motor brackets and gears/pulley's are not present, I would recommend getting the Rowan Astronomy belt-drive upgrade kit because it comes with the pulleys, belts and adapter brackets needed.

On 2021-04-26 11:47 a.m., lukewas77@gmail.com wrote:
Dear all,
I found an old eq6 mount without motors and electronics...do you think that is possible to rebuild it using nema motors used for onstep, with gears and belts? Or I have to rebuild all the original mount?
Thanks in advance.


Luca Era (Lukewas)
 

Ok thanks a lot for the informations...
do you think that I have to know in deeper the status of the movement also? Like bearing and so on?
do you have some link where I can see what you said?


Dave Schwartz
 
Edited

I did the Rowan Astronomy belt drive upgrade mod to mine and so know all about taking them apart and putting back together. The EQ6 has two large ball bearings on each axis so it moves like butter when properly greased and tightened.

You are going to need to know the ratio of the transfer gears or belt system as well as the worm. The worm gear ratio (GR2) is 180:1 on both axes.The original transfer gear ratio (GR1) on the Synscan GoTo version was 3.91666666:1 (which the Rowan belt drive exactly emulates with a 12 and 47 tooth pulleys) but I see from Cloudy Nights that the non-GoTo version had 1:1 transfer gears.

The Rowan Astronomy mod link is here: http://www.rowanastronomy.com/productsa2.htm and the page also links to their installation instructions which has a great picture reference for the mount even if you don't buy the kit. The kit was well worth it to eliminate backlash and non-periodic error of the transfer gears and also the horrible gear chatter that the transfer gears had.

Although I haven't watched it, this is probably a good video about installing the kit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHmWMl_rfo.
I had watched another one by some german guy but he was a bit of a fumble-fingers because he let a few bearings fall on the floor while he was disassembling. Probably a good reference even if you aren't installing the upgrade kit.

On 2021-04-26 2:37 p.m., lukewas77@gmail.com wrote:
Ok thanks a lot for the informations...
do you think that I have to know in deeper the status of the movement also? Like bearing and so on?
do you have some link where I can see what you said?


andrea tasselli
 

I also happen to have dismounted and remounted the original EQ6. I do have a couple of replacement worms in brass, should you want one (or 2).

Cheers

Andrea


no_name
 

Hello!
Can someone share where can I buy a rowan belt kit here in EU at a good price...
I have an old eq6 that I want to upgrade with Rowan belt kit, and maybe with some bearings and to grease it and then I want to install onstep on it....
Any help advice will be appreciated...

I saw Roman onstep board and it seems the best solution for onstep but I am not good at SMD soldering, and also min order is 5x, maybe we can make some group purchase...


astrosathya
 

You can buy it from First Light Optics UK. I bought mine there last year, they're fast and cost 5 bucks less than Rowan's site.

Thanks and Regards
Sathyakumar Sharma,
Founder & Partner,
Universal Immersive Media and Education,
Bangalore. 


On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 7:41 PM <2204986@...> wrote:
Hello!
Can someone share where can I buy a rowan belt kit here in EU at a good price...
I have an old eq6 that I want to upgrade with Rowan belt kit, and maybe with some bearings and to grease it and then I want to install onstep on it....
Any help advice will be appreciated...

I saw Roman onstep board and it seems the best solution for onstep but I am not good at SMD soldering, and also min order is 5x, maybe we can make some group purchase...


no_name
 

Bought it from them also, and now I am looking for controller