PC does not reegonize FYSECT s6 after uploading ONSTEP

Juan Sebastian

Hi guys,

any advice or fix regarding this issue?

i have fysect s6 v2.0, im able to upload onstep without issues

But then when i took off the jumper and conect the board again to use it, nothing happens, it does not show in the device manager, i tried 3 different computers, and different usb ports, does anyone know what is happening?

Khalid Baheyeldin

Did you use the following options when flashing?

  • U(S)ART Support -> Enabled (generic 'Serial')
  • USB Support (if available) -> CDC (generic 'Serial' supercede U(S)ART)
  • USB Speed (if available) -> Low/Full Speed

Without these, USB is not configured right.

Juan Sebastian

Yes i use them as depicted in the following picture

Juan Sebastian

Hi Khalid, yes im doing that, but it still does not recognize the board after flashing it, BTW im using Arduino 1.8.13 on a win 10, the board is new, this is the fisrt time i touch it... i tried even with 3 different cables, im able to flash but no to see it on com port after i take out the boot jumper

Dave Schwartz

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 12:56 AM, <jbastian.casas@...> wrote:
Hi Khalid, yes im doing that, but it still does not recognize the board after flashing it, BTW im using Arduino 1.8.13 on a win 10, the board is new, this is the fisrt time i touch it... i tried even with 3 different cables, im able to flash but no to see it on com port after i take out the boot jumper

 The resolution is too bad to read the red-on-black text of the IDE output so I can't tell... are you absolutely sure you changed the upload address in the batch file and that the base upload address was 0x8010000?

Juan Sebastian

100% sure I did that on STM32CubeProg.bat just before flashing

Juan Sebastian

Installed Arduino 1.8.13, STM32CubeProgrammer and changed the stm32CubeProg.bat on other PC, did all the process to flash the S6v2 again. I was able to do it (Pic attached), but it stills does not work (is not recognized) when i remove the boot jumper.... Im seeing that the stm32 installed in the boards manager is not the 1.4.0 as the wiki shows, now it is 2.0.0 (updated 2-6 days ago) https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32 can that be the problem? does anyone know how to download the 1.4.0??'

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM, <jbastian.casas@...> wrote:
Im seeing that the stm32 installed in the boards manager is not the 1.4.0 as the wiki shows, now it is 2.0.0 (updated 2-6 days ago) https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32 can that be the problem? does anyone know how to download the 1.4.0??'
I'm on 1.9.0, perhaps this link still works:
https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardManagerFiles/raw/master/STM32/package_stm_index.json

Who knows, but lets just say it wouldn't be a great surprise if that update broke something.

Dave Schwartz

In the boards manager there is a dropdown with previous versions in it. Find your 'esp32' board manager in the 'all' type, select the version you want from there and the install button right beside it. I have the 1.0.6 board manager and no problems (because I set the baud rate explicitly on both ends and use SWAP OFF) but strange that it does not offer any upgradable version to that.

On 2021-04-27 1:56 p.m., jbastian.casas@gmail.com wrote:
Installed Arduino 1.8.13, STM32CubeProgrammer and changed the stm32CubeProg.bat on other PC, did all the process to flash the S6v2 again. I was able to do it (Pic attached), but it stills does not work (is not recognized) when i remove the boot jumper.... Im seeing that the stm32 installed in the boards manager is not the 1.4.0 as the wiki shows, now it is 2.0.0 (updated 2-6 days ago) https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32 <https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32> can that be the problem? does anyone know how to download the 1.4.0??'

Dave Schwartz

Disregard that bit about the esp32 BM version... I got the wrong end of the stick.

On 2021-04-27 1:56 p.m., jbastian.casas@gmail.com wrote:
Installed Arduino 1.8.13, STM32CubeProgrammer and changed the stm32CubeProg.bat on other PC, did all the process to flash the S6v2 again. I was able to do it (Pic attached), but it stills does not work (is not recognized) when i remove the boot jumper.... Im seeing that the stm32 installed in the boards manager is not the 1.4.0 as the wiki shows, now it is 2.0.0 (updated 2-6 days ago) https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32 <https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32> can that be the problem? does anyone know how to download the 1.4.0??'

Juan Sebastian

STM32 v2.0.0 dosnt have the previous versions dropdown

I was able to download 1.9.0 with the link Howard provided https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardManagerFiles/raw/master/STM32/package_stm_index.json

I tried with it, again i was able to upload Onstep, but It stills does not show up in COM after the flash, no sound no nothing, any ideas about what could i do?

But the ligths turn on, so far i tried 2 pcs, 4 different cables

BTW there is any reason to not use the FYSETC addon? ​ https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FYSETC/ArduinoAddons/master/package_fysetc_index.json

Dave Schwartz

Those LEDs only show the 5V and 3.3V buses have power on them. If you add the tracking LED, that will show you when OnStep gets through it initialization.

No point to that FYSETC addon... it is for the F6, not the S6... two totally different boards and the F6 is not supported by OnStep.

I was able to download 1.9.0 with the link Howard provided https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardManagerFiles/raw/master/STM32/package_stm_index.json <https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardManagerFiles/raw/master/STM32/package_stm_index.json>

I tried with it, again i was able to upload Onstep, but It stills does not show up in COM after the flash, no sound no nothing, any ideas about what could i do?

But the ligths turn on, so far i tried 2 pcs, 4 different cables

BTW there is any reason to not use the FYSETC addon? ​ https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FYSETC/ArduinoAddons/master/package_fysetc_index.json <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FYSETC/ArduinoAddons/master/package_fysetc_index.json>

Dave Schwartz

I can confirm that the new STM32 package is not compatible with OnStep (5.1v). I removed 1.9.0 and installed 2.0.0 (being careful to update the batch file address) and it did not work in at least two ways on my S6 V1.2: a) the serial port for the GPS on Serial3 no longer set the time/location even though the module had fixed and b) after setting the time manually via the app, after starting a 1-star align on Mirach the buzzer just came on solid and there was no mount movement (although the web server status page and SHC were still refreshing so it wasn't a hard lockup).

After reinstalling 1.9.0 (I left the URL to it in the preferences list) and changing the batch file again, all is back to normal.

So its something that's got to be fixed eventually, either by STMicroelectronics fixing a bug introduced in 2.0.0 or by OnStep incorporating changes that 2.0.0 requires. Hard to say which (or both) may be the ultimate resolution.

In the meantime, don't upgrade from 1.9.0.

On 2021-04-27 2:05 p.m., Howard Dutton wrote:
On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM, <jbastian.casas@gmail.com> wrote:

Im seeing that the stm32 installed in the boards manager is not
the 1.4.0 as the wiki shows, now it is 2.0.0 (updated 2-6 days
ago) https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32
<https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32> can that be the
problem? does anyone know how to download the 1.4.0??'

I'm on 1.9.0, perhaps this link still works:
https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardManagerFiles/raw/master/STM32/package_stm_index.json <https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardManagerFiles/raw/master/STM32/package_stm_index.json>

Who knows, but lets just say it wouldn't be a great surprise if that update broke something.

John Petterson

That is interesting.  Here is what I am getting:

I'm not sure if that is a problem or not.  But since the link to the library source is the same (at least the same as I have in my environment), it looks like they have deleted all the old versions.

Try disconnecting the USB cable from your PC, then right click on the windows box and select "device manager", then click on ports (COM & LPT).  Note the com ports that are shown.  Then reconnect the USB cable and see if the list of ports changes.  The window will redisplay if it sees a new port, so you can leave that open and try various combinations with your board and cable - try plugging into a different PC port, try moving the power selection jumper, etc.

Dave Schwartz

Odd that they decided to make 2.0.0 a completely different board manager instead of just an update. Forces you to uninstall one before installing the other as new.

I've got both URLs in my preferences now (so both show up under an 'stm32' search) because eventually we'll go to a new 2.>0.0 package and this way I can flip back and forth to see who fixes it first.

On 2021-04-27 3:33 p.m., jbastian.casas@gmail.com wrote:
STM32 v2.0.0 dosnt have the previous versions dropdown

I was able to download 1.9.0 with the link Howard provided https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardManagerFiles/raw/master/STM32/package_stm_index.json <https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardManagerFiles/raw/master/STM32/package_stm_index.json>

I tried with it, again i was able to upload Onstep, but It stills does not show up in COM after the flash, no sound no nothing, any ideas about what could i do?

But the ligths turn on, so far i tried 2 pcs, 4 different cables

BTW there is any reason to not use the FYSETC addon? ​ https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FYSETC/ArduinoAddons/master/package_fysetc_index.json <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FYSETC/ArduinoAddons/master/package_fysetc_index.json>

Dave Schwartz

The updated the package in the old github location. You're seeing that because the board manager is following both it internal Arduino URL and the URLs in the additional board managers in the preferences - they didn't have to update the installed package for the text to change like that. Fortunately, the 1.9.0 package is still installable (and all the older ones are still there in the dropdown from the old URL too).

I don't know how they expected many people to notice that since there was no push notification... I would never have seen it if it was not mentioned here because I don't go around spelunking through my board manager lists unless there's a good reason.

On 2021-04-27 3:56 p.m., John Petterson wrote:

That is interesting.  Here is what I am getting:

I'm not sure if that is a problem or not.  But since the link to the library source is the same (at least the same as I have in my environment), it looks like they have deleted all the old versions.

Try disconnecting the USB cable from your PC, then right click on the windows box and select "device manager", then click on ports (COM & LPT).  Note the com ports that are shown.  Then reconnect the USB cable and see if the list of ports changes. The window will redisplay if it sees a new port, so you can leave that open and try various combinations with your board and cable - try plugging into a different PC port, try moving the power selection jumper, etc.

John Petterson

Sorry, you already said it does not show up there in the device manager.

Are you certain that you never tried to program it before setting the starting address?  If you did that once you have overwritten the boot code and the FYSETC will not start up and connect.  I would try reloading the firmware as described in the Wiki, I have had that recover a board for me.

I do have a couple of FYSETC S6 boards that have failed that way - both V1.2 and V2.0.  One was replaced by the vendor as it was a DOA board.  The other one I let the magic smoke out at one point by having it on my desktop and dropping another board on top of it while it was powered up...

Juan Sebastian

Hi Jhon, i did the upload with STM32 V2.0 on both PCs first before even realizing, to install with 1.9.0 i think it is not enough to unistall 2.0 and install 1.9 with the old link rigth?

BTW about the Address in the STM32CubeProg.bat nope i checked that, this board always uploaded with 0x8010000 but just to be sure ill follow the wiki and see if something happens, it just arrived yesterday nigth... :/ i hope the issue is on my side and noth on the board, i really do not what to wait again 1 month for a replacement

Juan Sebastian

I did the BOOT restore and it wooorkss weird, i double checked that the address were rigth...  but well it is solved now

John Petterson

I am happy it worked.