Stepper Motor doesn't do anything...

Burton

I have the MaxESP3 board with TMC5160 drivers and 100:1 geared nema17 motors. I am just trying to test out the functionality before I start work on attaching it to my telescope, and I can confirm through the serial monitor that the board runs, and I have it plugged into a 12 volt power supply. I connected my phone to it through the app over Bluetooth, and I can do a few things so I know that works I think. But, when I try to move it using the app or set a home position, the buzzer starts beeping and the led flashes but no movement in the stepper motor. I tried using a multimeter to see if there was even any voltage coming out to the wires going to the motor while slewing, but I didn't see anything...

the drivers are Bigtreetech TMC5160 v1.2 and according to the wiki it says I may need to cut the CLK pin. So I tried connecting the driver with jumpers, just not connecting the CLK pin, and still nothing.

I noticed the pinout on the 5160 differs from the writing on the PCB for the stepper wires, so I attached a picture showing that. I used the pcb diagram on EasyEDA in order to find which pin leads where in order to put the stepper wires according to the 5160, so maybe that is the issue?

What are some things I should try doing to figure out what the issue is?

Does it effect anything that I only have one stepper motor connected instead of both?

Burton

Here's a picture of how the stepper motor is connected if that helps:

Curly

Hi Burton
I have the same drivers and needed to cut the clk pin to stop it connecting to the pcb but also make a jumper to connect clk to ground.
Cheers
Curly

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 at 09:19, Burton <burton.rasmussen000@...> wrote:
Here's a picture of how the stepper motor is connected if that helps:

Burton

Okay, so I cut the CLK pin and made a jumper from CLK to ground. I still don't show any movement on the stepper motor.

is there a command I can do from the serial monitor to see if maybe the OnStep app is the problem?

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 07:55 AM, Burton wrote:
is there a command I can do from the serial monitor to see if maybe the OnStep app is the problem?
Seems unlikely.

Lets see the Config.h file.

Burton

There's that. All the MaxESP3 board seems to do is start beeping and flashing when I tell it to track from the OnStep app

adraasch

Burton,

You asked for a command reference for OnStep.

The command reference for OnStep is here:
https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/23755

But these should help you in determining if your issue is with your board, or the software driving the board.

:GVP#

(Should return On-Step# )
(You may have to send this twice, the first time around.)

:R4#
(Set current slew rate to 4), which should be 4x sidereal  Valid values are 1-9.
Try slower values 1-4 at first while figuring things out...  Slew rate 1 may move so slowly that the stepper motor barely moves, so it is hard to see motion...

:Me#
(slew scope East at current slew rate)

:Q#
(stop scope (all axes))

:Mw#
(slew scope West at current slew rate)

:Q#
(Stop scope (all axes))

:Ms#
(slew scope South at current slew rate)

:Q#
(Stop scope (all axes))

:Mn#
(slew scope North at current slew rate)

:Q#
(Stop scope (all axes))

Hope this helps,

Arlen

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 08:32 AM, Burton wrote:
There's that. All the MaxESP3 board seems to do is start beeping and flashing when I tell it to track from the OnStep app
Seems ok and should work as-is, though you should specify IRUN to match your motors.

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 09:06 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
though you should specify IRUN to match your motors.
That is, about 50% of the motor rated current to start.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Several things in config.h. Most importantly you are using the TMC5160's but you do not have any current going to them. No wonder they don't move. Here are the settings I use for mine (1.2A motors)

#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MODEL            TMC5160_QUIET //    OFF, (See above.) Stepper driver model.                                      <-Often
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS       64 //    OFF, n. Microstep mode when tracking.                                        <-Often
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS_GOTO  16 //    OFF, n. Microstep mode used during gotos.                                     Option
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_IHOLD            400 //    OFF, n, (mA.) Current during standstill. OFF uses IRUN/2.0                    Option
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_IRUN             900 //    OFF, n, (mA.) Current during tracking, appropriate for stepper/driver/etc.    Option
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_IGOTO            700 //    OFF, n, (mA.) Current during slews. OFF uses same as IRUN.                    Option

You also have:

#define AXIS1_STEPS_PER_WORMROT   1280000

Seem very high, set it to 0 initially

There are other questionable settings but this should get you started..

Burton

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 10:06 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 09:06 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
though you should specify IRUN to match your motors.
That is, about 50% of the motor rated current to start.
So on the motor datasheet it says 1.68 amps. should I try 800 for the value since it says in (mA.) in Config.h?

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

My motors are 1.68A not 1.2 (was thinking of my old ones). So the settings I gave you should work fine.

Burton

Okay. So I set all those values for axis1 and axis2, and using the serial monitor commands, I can do commands that return 1 or 0 and get 1, so it doesn't seem to be failing there. Though, I still don't get movement when I try :Mw# or :Ms#

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 09:10 AM, Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ wrote:
Several things in config.h. Most importantly you are using the TMC5160's but you do not have any current going to them. No wonder they don't move.
If OFF, IRUN defaults to 600mA for TMC5160's so it still should have worked.  Nice to set the correct value, but no surprise it's not the problem.

Burton

I'm just getting even more confused.😤

I added the second stepper motor to the board, and then they started vibrating when I put it into tracking. It didn't really show any signs of movement, though sometimes and I'm not sure what I did, it would move ever so slowly when in GOTO, but vibrating pretty bad and irregularly.

How am I supposed to wire the motors up?

Also, I burnt my only fuse because I guess it was drawing too many amps for what the fuse could handle? My bench power supply is at 12v and 3amps maximum. So now I'm afraid to try anything else and don't know where to get more fuses.

Burton

the motor that was moving was on axis 1, and I had not cut the clk or connected clk to ground on axis 1. axis 2 doesn't move at all. So now I think I cut the clk pin for nothing and now I need a new driver possibly? I thought I knew what I was doing lol

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 11:22 AM, Burton wrote:
I added the second stepper motor to the board, and then they started vibrating when I put it into tracking. It didn't really show any signs of movement, though sometimes and I'm not sure what I did, it would move ever so slowly when in GOTO, but vibrating pretty bad and irregularly.

How am I supposed to wire the motors up?
Back of a MaxSTM board here (MaxESP3 is the same for our purposes.)  The squiggly lines represent the motor coils, two per motor with the lines leading toward the adjacent related terminals, I think that gets the point across.  Use a multi-meter on ohms if you want to identify which pairs of wires are common in a CAT5 cable after plugging in.

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 11:55 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
Use a multi-meter on ohms if you want to identify which pairs of wires are common in a CAT5 cable after plugging in.
Also use a multi-meter on ohms to identify which leads of a motor are common to each coil.

Glenn Sammes

Suggest the stepper is not connected correctly. Either the coil wiring is wrong or bad contact.

Cheers,

Glenn.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 11:24 AM, Burton wrote:
the motor that was moving was on axis 1, and I had not cut the clk or connected clk to ground on axis 1. axis 2 doesn't move at all. So now I think I cut the clk pin for nothing and now I need a new driver possibly? I thought I knew what I was doing lol
Good advice was given about that, you might be able to get away with plugging in and it kind of working without cutting CLK but it's not the way to go.

AFAIK V1.2 of the Bigtree 5160 supposedly has grounded CLK already (probably pulled low via resistor,) they messed up with V1.1 it wasn't grounded (some users though said 1.2 still wasn't grounded.)

OnStep has a trace leading from that pin to the module's SPI/SDO pin...  so any SPI commands might overcome that resistor and change CLK from low to high (or it will mess up SDO.)  I hope/assume the currents are limited so probably no damage.  That trace is standard step stick design so older DRV8825 and A4988 can work, those pins are called SLP./RST and RST pulls SLP the right way to keep the driver active when connected together.