Worm replacement? #cge-pro

Timothy Reaves

I have a CGE Pro with a rusted out worm. Has anyone- really with any mount - replaced a worm while still using the main gear?  If it matters, it’s the RA.

Thanks.

andrea tasselli

Yep. Several EQ6s, My CI-700 (this was a swap but the principle is the same). Going to do a few more, I expect.

Timothy Reaves

Would you let me know how you did it? What parts you used, what modifications were needed?  Thanks.

andrea tasselli

I think your mount being a CGE the CI-700 experience is most relevant to you. In this case I swapped the DEC work with the RA worm but else wise having a new part would make no difference. Removed the worm holder casing from the mount and then removed the 3 bearings holding the worm in place. Ordered them (if you're in the US you'll find that SPI is most likely to have them in stock) . Cleaned the worm with white spirit. Put the new bearings in place together with the worm on the holder. Applied with lithium grease to worm. Put the whole lot back on the mount. I could have put a Belleville washer to reduce the backlash in RA but I left it to another day.