hello everyone, i have a new question. If I install a powerful servo motor with encoder instead of stepper motor, will the system work? #mount

hello everyone, i have a new question.  If I install a powerful servo motor with encoder instead of stepper motor, will the system work?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 04:13 PM, sami wrote:
If I install a powerful servo motor with encoder instead of stepper motor, will the system work?
In general, OnStep is desgined for stepper motors, in an open loop design (i.e. no feed back from an encoder).

However, there are some specialized stepper drivers that are able to drive servo motors.
They are driven by Pulse and Dir pins, and therefore can be driven from OnStep controllers, with some rewiring.
Pulse is the same as Step in stepper motors.

Example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392270382709

I find it worth a shot.
Because my goal is a bigger carrier. and connect and operate a larger telescope

The Step/Dir interface is an industry standard and is not limited to driving stepper motors.

There is no end to the options available, most of us use stepper motors with open loop control since it's cheap and effective.  I doubt the scale of whatever "larger telescope" is beyond something that can be handled by a stepper motor of some sort but nothing stopping you from using a servo.

Here's another source that's been mentioned here before:
https://www.teknic.com/products/clearpath-brushless-dc-servo-motors/clearpath-sd-stepper-replacement/

I also want to get a ready plug and play onstep control box with everything the last system.this was sold? and where can i buy

Howard Dutton

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 03:53 PM, sami wrote:
I also want to get a ready plug and play onstep control box with everything the last system.this was sold? and where can i buy
We are DIY here, currently I know of no one selling complete controllers.

When my work is finished, I'm going to have a big swaddle and a telescope.
First of all, I thank you and the entire onstep family. howard and halid...