Wemos R32 CNCV3 controller test issues #wemos

astrosathya

Those who have been following my build will know that I somehow managed to fry one wemos d1 R32 board because I gave 12V to it directly (though it has a Buck converter and V regulator). This time, upon advice from a friend of mine as well as Oddvar who recently completed his build, I powered the wemos using ONLY the USB cable which doubled up for comms, and powered the motors through the CNCV3 shield using the 12V SMPS.
However, one thing I noticed is the sound at the beginning, mid point (while crossing meridian i think) and end of the slew as if a large, heavy truck is slowing down. I am not sure if thats ok. I also know the its pointing in the wrong direction too. Motors are reversed maybe? Anyone who has an idea, i'll be happy to take advice from.
The video of the Test is HERE
TIA.
Sathya.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 03:25 AM, astrosathya wrote:
However, one thing I noticed is the sound at the beginning, mid point (while crossing meridian i think) and end of the slew as if a large, heavy truck is slowing down.
That's stepper motor resonance or ringing.  Lower current can help (about 50% of the motor rating,) higher voltage can help, motors with lower inductance (higher current) can help.

I am not sure if thats ok. I also know the its pointing in the wrong direction too. Motors are reversed maybe? Anyone who has an idea, i'll be happy to take advice from.
Frequently Asked Questions

Item #2.

astrosathya

Thank You Howard for that. Yes, the RA and DEC were interchanged. I connected the wires to the right drivers, but RA started moving in the opposite direction, which of course meant that the coils need to be interchanged. Slews are now 100% perfect, or as perfect as I can check indoors. after PA with the SkEye app.
i will try to make a half decent YouTube video for the benefit of beginners.
Thanks to Howard, Khalid, George, Ken,  Oddvar and others who helped me out.

I have received parts for the STM32 controller, only the PCB is yet to reach me. I will start that build after a couple of months. :)

Regards,
Sathya.