Tandem Mount #celestron #S6

Sean

Hi Guy's,

What needs to be done to the code, if anything, for a GEM with Tandem Mount configuration?

I am still awaiting components (FYSETC S6, TMC2130) to start my Celestron CGEM conversion to stepper motors and haven't seen anything on this site about having a tandem mount.

Thanks,

Sean

Dave Schwartz

Describe how it is physically different from a GEM.

On June 5, 2021 6:17:24 p.m. EDT, Sean <seanwaring@...> wrote:
Hi Guy's,

What needs to be done to the code, if anything, for a GEM with Tandem Mount configuration?

I am still awaiting components (FYSETC S6, TMC2130) to start my Celestron CGEM conversion to stepper motors and haven't seen anything on this site about having a tandem mount.

Thanks,

Sean

Sean

I don't have experience with other brands of mounts, but on my Celestron CGEM when you have a tandem configuration, or dual saddle, the OTA's point to the eastern horizon, instead of the North celestial pole to start your alignment.

I suppose I could accurately rotate the index marks 90 degrees so as the OTA's now point north, but was curious if Onstep has a setting for that.

Sean

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021, 7:57 PM Dave Schwartz, <Dave.Schwartz@...> wrote:
Describe how it is physically different from a GEM.

On June 5, 2021 6:17:24 p.m. EDT, Sean <seanwaring@...> wrote:
Hi Guy's,

What needs to be done to the code, if anything, for a GEM with Tandem Mount configuration?

I am still awaiting components (FYSETC S6, TMC2130) to start my Celestron CGEM conversion to stepper motors and haven't seen anything on this site about having a tandem mount.

Thanks,

Sean

If all you want is have two optical tubes on your mount, then you don't need to do anything in OnStep.

Just point it to the celestial pole before you power up, and proceed normally.

Dave Schwartz

If you really want the home position to be 'counterweights down, OTAs pointing east' OnStep does let you set it up that way. Read the 'Using OnStep' Wiki https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/3865 and follow the link in the third list item in the 'Tips' list in the 'Mount Orientation' section. There are AXISn_HOME_DEFAULT settings (described at the end of the AXIS1 and AXIS2 sections) but they have to be added manually.

On 2021-06-05 7:56 p.m., Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
If all you want is have two optical tubes on your mount, then you don't need to do anything in OnStep.

Just point it to the celestial pole before you power up, and proceed normally.

Sean

Ok perfect, thanks.

That gives me something to try if I still want them pointing east at the start.

Sean

On 2021-06-05 7:56 p.m., Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> If all you want is have two optical tubes on your mount, then you
> don't need to do anything in OnStep.
>
> Just point it to the celestial pole before you power up, and proceed
> normally.

Rafael Barberá Córdoba

I’m using this tandem configuration every time that I put a teleobjetive and a guider scope in parallel.

as Kalhid has said before there is no difference. Your start position will be counterweight down and optics pointing to the pole. That’s all