moderated Ramps 1.4 and stellarium not working

Chris Lambert

OK. So I got my ramps 1.4 connected to my arduino mega 2560 all connected to mh raspberry pi running stellarium. Trying to configure and get it talking and my telescope isn't moving.
The green light is constantly on green on the ramps, so I'm guessing I have selected the correct setting to tell the software where the ramps is etc, but when I go to slew etc or try to move the telescope nothing happens.
I also can't get the stellarium app to connect to the raspberry pi to control it. Got a feeling the port number is wrong 😕 currently 22. 🤷

Mike Ahner

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 05:20 PM, <clambert24@...> wrote:
So I got my ramps 1.4 connected to my arduino mega 2560 all connected to mh raspberry pi running stellarium. Trying to configure and get it talking and my telescope isn't moving.
I can't speak for anything to do with Raspbery Pi or Stellarium, but I wonder if you've tested this OnStep controller without the Pi? You don't mention if this is a new build or if you're just adding the Pi & Stellarium but your controller has to work standalone first.

Also, I'm not sure if OnStep will move the telescope until Tracking is enabled. Default power up is tracking off. That may have changed for some operations, but not sure.

There a few ways to start tracking:
1) Begin an alignment process, this turns tracking on.
2) Turn tracking on via the Wifi Webserver or the Android app.
3) Set tracking to start at power up in the Config.h file, but that's not recommended for normal use.

"Guilherme Vênere

Port 22 is also probably wrong. This is the port for the SSH service which you use to connect to a Linux terminal.

OnStep uses ports 9999 and 9998. In Stellarium you need to use port 9998 which is the persistent connection

Guilherme

On Thursday, June 10, 2021, Mike Ahner <mahner@...> wrote:
[...]

OK, 1 thing I forgot to mention, I have a screen attached to my pi so I can control it from that, effectively having a laptop plugged in i guess just running stellarium, but it still isn't moving. How/where do I enable tracking?
I try using my phone with port 9998 and it sees the connection, but won't connect. Do j need to change setting in the software of stellarium?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 09:18 PM, Mike Ahner wrote:
Also, I'm not sure if OnStep will move the telescope until Tracking is enabled. Default power up is tracking off. That may have changed for some operations, but not sure.
Starting an align is no longer necessary with the current stable 4.24 version.

If OnStep sees that the location, date and time are updated, it will allow slewing right away without an align.

Very convenient, and more in line with the behaviour of all other mounts.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 02:36 AM, <clambert24@...> wrote:
How/where do I enable tracking?
If you entered the location, date and time, then OnStep 4.24 will be ready to slew right away.

I try using my phone with port 9998 and it sees the connection, but won't connect. Do j need to change setting in the software of stellarium?
If you are using the OnStep android app, then the port is 9999 for it.
For Stellarium Mobile Plus on Android, the port is 9998.

Chris Lambert

OK, so none of that worked and still nothing. Have I put the motor controllers in the right connections as such on the ramps? (See previous pic)
The date, time and location is correct but still no response.  It seems like its connected, just not responding 😕

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 04:30 PM, <clambert24@...> wrote:
Have I put the motor controllers in the right connections as such on the ramps? (See previous pic)
Looks like you used the correct connectors for axis 1 (X) and axis 2 (Y), per this diagram.

One more thing to try.

Exit Stellarium, and start the Arduino IDE.
Open Serial Monitor, set the baud to 9600, then enter the commands at the very bottom of this page.
See if:
a) you get responses
b) the motors move.

Chris Lambert

Do I need to enable/change anything on this?

Chris Lambert

OK, tried what you said, and no nothing. Arduino recognises that it's connected and found the board, but that's it.

Khalid Baheyeldin

That means OnStep on the Arduin Mega 2560 is not responding.
Or that OnStep was never properly uploaded to it.

Try to upload again, and copy/paste the output here.

Chris Lambert

Edited

Ah OK. Is there any way of seeing what files etc are actually saved to the arduino?

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 05:02 PM, Chris Lambert wrote:
Is there any way of seeing what files etc are actually saved to the arduino?
No.
They are binary code anyway, so not understandable in anyway, nor is it files even ...

The proof is that the code runs and does something.

Glenn Sammes

Please do not leave links to software that is un-related and considered by many to be spyware.

Outlook for Android.

Cheers,

Glenn.

Ah OK. Is there any way of seeing what files etc are actually saved to the arduino?

That means OnStep on the Arduin Mega 2560 is not responding.
Or that OnStep was never properly uploaded to it.

Try to upload again, and copy/paste the output here.

Chris Lambert

Hi. So I re uploaded to the arduino and it said done and the green led was flashing.
Unplugged it and connected back onto the telescope but still nothing.
The arduino ide program on my pi said that it's connected and can see it still tho. I installed onstep app on my phone, but it can't see it and keeps saying connection failed. 😒
What could I be missing?