FYSETC S6 Mount control via USB and Wifi not working #EQ5 #fysetc #S6

Sebastian Hessel

I've bought this OnStep EQ5 mount a few months ago. The previous owner Martin (who did the OnStep conversion) documented the build process here, I also attached the pdf to this message.
When I got the mount, connecting&controlling it via USB with my laptop (using the OnStep Ascom driver) worked just fine, controlling it via Wifi using the OnStep App worked too. Because Martin had set some limits on the axes which caused me problems I changed them back to the default setting in the config file. Also somehow the RA Axis was wired in reverse so I inverted it in the config file. I accidentally flashed the firmware to the wrong memory address (0x8000000) instead of (0x8010000) and corrupted the bootloader. I then refreshed the bootloader using the STM32 Cube Programmer following this tutorial and then flashed the firmware to the correct address.
After that everything worked fine as long as I was using the Hand Controller, but I wasn't able to connect to OnStep via USB anymore. Controlling OnStep using the App or the browser page of the webserver only works sometimes to some extent, but most of the time the app outputs "Command failed". The webserver page says "Serial Interface to OnStep is Down!", picture below.

The board is running the OnStep 4.23d beta, you can download the code I'm currently running here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgyPySSHgAsP6TmCvLa9_atFemm9?e=8yNWBR
I've already reflashed the board and refreshed the bootloader again but that didn't help. I also tried flashing the Onstep 4.24 release since the FYSETC S6 Wiki page says that you should use this version but still no change.
The only changes I did to the config were setting the axes limits to default and inverting the RA axis.
The issue most likely was caused by my mistake of corrupting the bootloader since everything worked before that but I wasn't able to fix it yet.
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me fixing this issue, I only need the USB connection to be working since I would like to use autoguiding.
I'm sorry for possible spelling and grammatical mistakes, English isn't my native language.

Best regards
Sebastian

Khalid Baheyeldin

Check the RX and TX wires that go from UART1 on the S6 to the Wemos.
Make sure that TX goes to RX and RX goes to TX.
Check the soldering, if it is soldered.
Check the Dupont wires, or replace them if you are using those.

Sebastian Hessel

Checked it, everything is wired correctly. Also checked the wiring using a multimeter, all connections are working. I'm not using any Dupont wires.
I just found out that controlling Onstep via Wifi using the browser page and the app does work as long as the SHC isn't connected. When I turn it off, connect the SHC and turn it back on the message "Serial interface is down" shows up at the browser page again most of the time. Sometimes the status page does show up for a short time, but the information it's displaying changes every time I refresh the page. Connecting Onstep to my PC still doesn't work, whether the SHC is connected or not. The board shows up in the windows device manager as "Serial USB-Device".

Khalid Baheyeldin

I got lost ...
From what you said, is this an accurate description of the problem?

- S6 + SHC, WiFi does not work
- S6 + no SHC, WiFi works

In both cases, USB does not work either.

Is the above correct?

When you flashed the board, did you make sure that you have the following:

- U(S)ART Support -> Enabled (generic 'Serial')
- USB Support (if available) -> CDC (generic 'Serial' supercede U(S)ART)
- USB Speed (if available) -> Low/Full Speed

Without those, USB will not work.
As for the SHC, I don't have a port for it on my S6.
Perhaps Dave will be able to test that.

Glenn Sammes

Does USB Serial device in device manager have a yellow exclamation mark beside it?

Regards,

Glenn.

Checked it, everything is wired correctly. Also checked the wiring using a multimeter, all connections are working. I'm not using any Dupont wires.
I just found out that controlling Onstep via Wifi using the browser page and the app does work as long as the SHC isn't connected. When I turn it off, connect the SHC and turn it back on the message "Serial interface is down" shows up at the browser page again most of the time. Sometimes the status page does show up for a short time, but the information it's displaying changes every time I refresh the page. Connecting Onstep to my PC still doesn't work, whether the SHC is connected or not. The board shows up in the windows device manager as "Serial USB-Device".

Dave Schwartz

The SHC should not interact with any serial device. The four ST4 signal lines that the SHC uses are clearly marked on EXP1 in the Wiki (and I also get my 5V and GND for the ST4 port from EXP1).

On June 13, 2021 4:09:21 p.m. EDT, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
I got lost ...
From what you said, is this an accurate description of the problem?

- S6 + SHC, WiFi does not work
- S6 + no SHC, WiFi works

In both cases, USB does not work either.

Is the above correct?

When you flashed the board, did you make sure that you have the following:

- U(S)ART Support -> Enabled (generic 'Serial')
- USB Support (if available) -> CDC (generic 'Serial' supercede U(S)ART)
- USB Speed (if available) -> Low/Full Speed

Without those, USB will not work.
As for the SHC, I don't have a port for it on my S6.
Perhaps Dave will be able to test that.

Sebastian Hessel

Yay we figured it out, thanks for your help! :D
I'll explain what I did wrong:
When I had to flash Onstep the first time I tried it using windows. Windows kept installing the wrong driver which pervented me from flashing anything so I switched to Manjaro Linux.
Because I didn't pay enougth attention to the Fysetc S6 wiki page, I just did the same thing I did in windows: installing the STM32 Cube Programmer and setting it as the upload method in Arduiono IDE. In the linux version of the STM32 Cube Programmer you also have to change the memory address in the "stm32CubeProg.dll" file which I didn't. This was the reason I corrupted the bootloader when I flashed Onstep the first time. After that I read the wiki page properly and started using the DFU utility but stopped paying attention to the options you have to set because they were only mentioned in the Windows part of the text. Looking back it should have been pretty obvious to me that I also need to select the correct options while using Linux.

The cause of all my issues was that I had set the option "
USB Support (if available)" to "CDC (no generic 'Serial')" instead of "CDC (generic 'Serial' supercede U(S)ART)".
Now the Wifi and the USB is working with the SHC connected.

Thanks for your Help!