Onstep total beginner question #EQ3 #bluepill

Francois94

Hello all ,
as a total beginner in Onstep , and generally speaking in goto , i have certainly a stupid question :
Assuming my onstep conf is ok , north hemisphere, lat/long , utc offset , date&time correctly documented , mount tuned to the good angle and pointing the north ,home position set .
If i stand in front of the mount , counterweight just in front of me , and i push the right button on the SHC , should the RA axis turn clockwise or anticlokwise ?
Same question for the DEC , if i push the up button , should it turn clockwise or anticlokwise ?

This question may looks stup for lots of you , but on my side , doing a lot of tests during the day as the weather is really horrible , i'm often changing time to simulate a later one and match with stellarium and sometimes , pushing the same button on the controler launch the mount in one direction and sometimes in the other so i'm a bit lost . I've understood that for goto , it will calculate the "shortest" path to the target , according the current position so i can start on one side or opposite , but for manual operation , i don't really know .

Thanks in advance for reading me and answering my newbie question .

George Cushing

There is no answer for this other than "it depends."

It depends:
  1. On the design of the mount
  2. On the end of the worm where the drive is connected.
  3. The drive direction setting it the configuration file.
  4. The manner in which the controller to drive conductors are run
Generally, the controller switch at 3 o'clock is the one used to correct for westward drift, that is it moves the FOV to the west. If you are standing to the south of a German mount, the scope "should" move CCW.

Francois94

Here is my setup  and indeed , if i stand south of the mount , pushing the 3 O'clock button , the RA axis is turning CCW:

George Cushing

Looks good. Your RA drive looks well designed. Are you using a printed motor mount?

Francois94

Yes , design comes from Frank in that topic : https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/my_skywatcher_150p_on_an/83327227?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,120,83327227
I just made some minor changes to improve stability as the RA mount is only fixed