CGEM w/internal FYSETC S6 V2.0 #celestron #fysetc

Sean

I've just completed my OnStep conversion of a Celestron CGEM mount.

I was able to mount the FYSETC board inside the mount.

Other than the FYSETC board, there is a WEMOS D1 MINI, and TMC2130 stepper drivers.

The USB wire and power wire are both fed internally out through the back, where a polar scope would go.

I used NEMA 17 stepper motors with GT2 belts and 12t/60t gears.

I haven't tried it yet under the stars, but daytime slewing and testing looks and sounds great!

Here are a couple pictures.

GuitsBoy

Wow!  Looks great!  I really love the look of the lexan window.  Very nice job.  Good luck with it.

-Tony

On 8/9/2021 9:06 AM, Sean wrote:
I've just completed my OnStep conversion of a Celestron CGEM mount.

I was able to mount the FYSETC board inside the mount.

Other than the FYSETC board, there is a WEMOS D1 MINI, and TMC2130 stepper drivers.

The USB wire and power wire are both fed internally out through the back, where a polar scope would go.

I used NEMA 17 stepper motors with GT2 belts and 12t/60t gears.

I haven't tried it yet under the stars, but daytime slewing and testing looks and sounds great!

Here are a couple pictures.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Good job you did there ... don't recall seeing anyone put the S6 inside a mount.

That transparent window may not work well. The Wemos LED is very bright and will be annoying.
The code can be changed to make it off after the initial blinks.
Either that, or make it opaque, or with a sliding part.
Or just put a dab of black paint ...

Sean

Thanks Khalid,

I painted the back side of it black.  It can be seen in the 3rd picture with everything all set up.

The LED's can still be seen very faintly when its dark out.

Sean

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 12:58 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
Good job you did there ... don't recall seeing anyone put the S6 inside a mount.

That transparent window may not work well. The Wemos LED is very bright and will be annoying.
The code can be changed to make it off after the initial blinks.
Either that, or make it opaque, or with a sliding part.
Or just put a dab of black paint ...

Khalid Baheyeldin

Oh, I see.
I was wondering why the other picture was not showing anything, and thought it was just reflection.
That is a great conversion.

Khalid Baheyeldin

And now it is in the showcase wiki page.

George Cushing

LEDs are generally just on a simple circuit with the power source on one end and ground on the other. They can be pulled and the module will never know.

Chris Vaughan

Nice job. I like the acrylic cover!

jak_kuehn@...

That is SO rad. My biggest hesitation using the S6 (even though I already own) is lack of enclosure. Problem solved!!!

Sean

Thanks Chris and Jak, it was a joint effort with Dad.  We both OnStep'd our CGEM's.  He ended being the guinea pig since his parts showed up first.

If anybody needs help getting a FYSETC into their CGEM, feel free to reach out to me.