CGEM w/internal FYSETC S6 V2.0 #celestron #fysetc

Sean

I've just completed my OnStep conversion of a Celestron CGEM mount.

I was able to mount the FYSETC board inside the mount.

Other than the FYSETC board, there is a WEMOS D1 MINI, and TMC2130 stepper drivers.

The USB wire and power wire are both fed internally out through the back, where a polar scope would go.

I used NEMA 17 stepper motors with GT2 belts and 12t/60t gears.

I haven't tried it yet under the stars, but daytime slewing and testing looks and sounds great!

Here are a couple pictures.

GuitsBoy

Wow!  Looks great!  I really love the look of the lexan window.  Very nice job.  Good luck with it.

-Tony

On 8/9/2021 9:06 AM, Sean wrote:
I've just completed my OnStep conversion of a Celestron CGEM mount.

I was able to mount the FYSETC board inside the mount.

Other than the FYSETC board, there is a WEMOS D1 MINI, and TMC2130 stepper drivers.

The USB wire and power wire are both fed internally out through the back, where a polar scope would go.

I used NEMA 17 stepper motors with GT2 belts and 12t/60t gears.

I haven't tried it yet under the stars, but daytime slewing and testing looks and sounds great!

Here are a couple pictures.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Good job you did there ... don't recall seeing anyone put the S6 inside a mount.

That transparent window may not work well. The Wemos LED is very bright and will be annoying.
The code can be changed to make it off after the initial blinks.
Either that, or make it opaque, or with a sliding part.
Or just put a dab of black paint ...

Sean

Thanks Khalid,

I painted the back side of it black.  It can be seen in the 3rd picture with everything all set up.

The LED's can still be seen very faintly when its dark out.

Sean

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 12:58 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
Good job you did there ... don't recall seeing anyone put the S6 inside a mount.

That transparent window may not work well. The Wemos LED is very bright and will be annoying.
The code can be changed to make it off after the initial blinks.
Either that, or make it opaque, or with a sliding part.
Or just put a dab of black paint ...

Khalid Baheyeldin

Oh, I see.
I was wondering why the other picture was not showing anything, and thought it was just reflection.
That is a great conversion.

Khalid Baheyeldin

And now it is in the showcase wiki page.

George Cushing

LEDs are generally just on a simple circuit with the power source on one end and ground on the other. They can be pulled and the module will never know.

Chris Vaughan

Nice job. I like the acrylic cover!

jak_kuehn@...

That is SO rad. My biggest hesitation using the S6 (even though I already own) is lack of enclosure. Problem solved!!!

Sean

Thanks Chris and Jak, it was a joint effort with Dad.  We both OnStep'd our CGEM's.  He ended being the guinea pig since his parts showed up first.

If anybody needs help getting a FYSETC into their CGEM, feel free to reach out to me.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021, 10:31 PM jak_kuehn via groups.io, <jak_kuehn=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
That is SO rad. My biggest hesitation using the S6 (even though I already own) is lack of enclosure. Problem solved!!!

kyleowine@...

Sean, any way you could show me how you added the belts and gears? This is something I'd love to do, I already own the ftsec board and would just need to pick up the D1 mini V4 and belts, gears, and steppers. Have you done any imaging with this? What does your RMS error look like, if you have?

Take care,

Kyle

kyleowine@...

I'd love some help on this, I already have the ftsec board, so I would just need the other parts and how to install belts and gears.  Let me know if you have more photos or information. Thank you

Sean

Hi Kyle,

I'd be glad to help.  I attached the PDF that details most of it.

I replaced the brass spur gear from the worm gear, on both axis, with a GT2 60 tooth gear.  You'll see in the PDF some grinding is needed to make it fit.  I used a drill with a burr grinding tool.  It wasn't difficult.

Motors are 400 step, 0.9 degree per step, NEMA 17 steppers.  Nothing special about them.  Got them off Amazon.  12 tooth gear on the motor's.  Belt length was determined using the spreadsheet in the attached file.

The attached zip file even has the motor mounts that my Dad duplicated for us.  He cut them out of a 1/8" aluminum street sign.  We used a featureless faceplate made of acrylic and painted black on the backside.

The only thing I did different from the attached file was (with the help of my Dad who was also doing this conversion) mount the FYSETC inside the CGEM.  It's a tight fit, but will go in as is.  The board is held in with offset standoffs using the 4 corner holes of the FYSETC and the 4 faceplate holes of the CGEM.  They don't line up perfectly, hence the offset standoffs.  I can send pics if you would like.

The USB wire has to be a 90 degree version, and some of the plastic on it needs to filed/sanded down in order for it to fit.

Let me know anything else you would like to know.

Sean

Miguel Rivero

GREAT information.
Miguel.

Chad Gray

Good find Miguel!  This looks like the perfect guide for your CGEM.

I have heard taking the CGEM apart is one of the biggest hurdles and this has information on that process.

Chad

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 1:24 PM Miguel Rivero <pilleway@...> wrote:
GREAT information.
Miguel.

Miguel Rivero

Chad, thanks for replaying.
Taking tthe CGEM apart is not my concern, the concern is more related to how to for the OnStep modification related to the electronic components.
Regards.