Tracking #wemos

Johnnie Pattison

WeMos and CNC v3 build. Raspberry Pi v4 with INDI server. Nikon D90, ZWO guide camera and the mount configured in INDI.  So, I get everything set up, and turned on. Using an Android tablet, I use Bluetooth to connect to OnStep. I set time, and do an alignment. I leave the telescope at the second star I aligned to. I go to tracking in the Android app and select tracking. OnStep starts tracking. I go inside. Once the tablet screen turns off, tracking stops. If I tell OnStep app to keep screen on, it continues to track. Is this expected behavior?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 12:42 PM, Johnnie Pattison wrote:
I go to tracking in the Android app and select tracking. OnStep starts tracking. I go inside. Once the tablet screen turns off, tracking stops. If I tell OnStep app to keep screen on, it continues to track. Is this expected behavior?
I have never seen this.
I do use the Android application, but with WiFi, instead of Bluetooth.
Also, Bluetooth on the CNCv3 is directly inside the Wemos microcontroller.

Could it be that OnStep is blocking on polling Bluetooth if an external app is 'holding it'?

What happens if you start tracking, then exit the Android app?
Does the mount continues to track in that case?

Glenn Sammes

I have a similar action with a different configutation.

Blue Pill over WiFi. D1 mini. Android tablet. If the screen is left on all continues well.

Uncheck “keep screen on” to preserve the tablets battery then when I turn the screen on again (the tablet is still running)

Connection is lost.

From: main@onstep.groups.io <main@onstep.groups.io> On Behalf Of Johnnie Pattison
Sent: Saturday, 14 August 2021 4:42 AM
To: main@onstep.groups.io
Subject: [onstep] Tracking #wemos

WeMos and CNC v3 build. Raspberry Pi v4 with INDI server. Nikon D90, ZWO guide camera and the mount configured in INDI.  So, I get everything set up, and turned on. Using an Android tablet, I use Bluetooth to connect to OnStep. I set time, and do an alignment. I leave the telescope at the second star I aligned to. I go to tracking in the Android app and select tracking. OnStep starts tracking. I go inside. Once the tablet screen turns off, tracking stops. If I tell OnStep app to keep screen on, it continues to track. Is this expected behavior?

Khalid Baheyeldin

Glenn,
The main problem was that the mount stops tracking if the screen turns off.
Do you see the same issue if it is off?
I don't. Regardless of whether the app is running and the screen goes off, or I exit the app, or keep the screen on.
In all cases, the app reconnects and all is good.
But this is with WiFi, which requires a separate microcontroller that runs the WiFi addon, so very different from Bluetooth.

Johnnie Pattison

If I start tracking and then exit, tracking stops. I've been trying to learn the ins and outs of guiding. When I go inside and the tablet screen is on, I see stars in PHD2, windows version, connected to mount and camera via INDI. But if the screen goes to sleep on the tablet, I have stars racing across the screen. Same if I close out of the app on the tablet. 

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021, 11:01 AM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
Glenn,
The main problem was that the mount stops tracking if the screen turns off.
Do you see the same issue if it is off?
I don't. Regardless of whether the app is running and the screen goes off, or I exit the app, or keep the screen on.
In all cases, the app reconnects and all is good.
But this is with WiFi, which requires a separate microcontroller that runs the WiFi addon, so very different from Bluetooth.

Khalid Baheyeldin

I tested it now.
My setup is an STM32 with a Wemos for WiFi (so not Bluetooth).
OnStep is 4.24f, and Wemos is flashed with SWS.

From the Android app, I slewed to Alcor.
After the slew finished the coordinates stayed put and the small star kept blinking (so OnStep is tracking).
Then I started KStars, and connected to OnStep, the coordinates for Alcor stayed where they are.
I exited the Android app. Still the coordinates are the same.
I started the app again, and the coordinates are still the same.

So all works as it should for me.

Must be either something specific to Bluetooth (unlikely since quite a few people use that) or the ESP32.

Johnnie Pattison

I'm gonna have to figure this wifi issue out. I have an esp8266 NodeMCU CP2102 ESP 12-E installed, but can't get it to connect to my home wifi and cannot connect to it with anything. Phone, tablet or laptop. Or upgrade to a different board. 

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021, 12:38 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
I tested it now.
My setup is an STM32 with a Wemos for WiFi (so not Bluetooth).
OnStep is 4.24f, and Wemos is flashed with SWS.

From the Android app, I slewed to Alcor.
After the slew finished the coordinates stayed put and the small star kept blinking (so OnStep is tracking).
Then I started KStars, and connected to OnStep, the coordinates for Alcor stayed where they are.
I exited the Android app. Still the coordinates are the same.
I started the app again, and the coordinates are still the same.

So all works as it should for me.

Must be either something specific to Bluetooth (unlikely since quite a few people use that) or the ESP32.