Celestron AVX NEMA Stepper Mount/Enclosure Models/STLs? #celestron #mount

Ed Stroh

Hey all,

I'm considering purchasing a used AVX and converting it to OnStep. I've already done a conversion on a Meade LX65 so I'm familiar with the process. However, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to 3D modeling and prefer to stand on the shoulders of giants whenever possible than to have to start from scratch. I was thankfully able to use some excellent models by Roman Hujer on Thingiverse (check him out!) for my LX65 project which work wonderfully. 

Can anyone provide or point me in the direction of some existing models for mounting NEMA stepper motors that would be compatible with the AVX? I know I'm not the first to pursue this project, so I have to assume they're out there somewhere. 

Thanks, and clear skies to all!

-Ed

Khalid Baheyeldin

There is a wealth of 3D printed parts in the Files section of the Wiki.

Check it out, it may have what you need.

Ed Stroh

I see some stuff for CGEM in there but doesn't look like there's anything AVX-compatible. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks anyway!

George Cushing

Hey Ed, any photos of the LX65 conversion? I know of a few LS mounts that need help.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Ed Stroh

Hey George!

Sorry for the delay. Been a busy week. Here's an album. Custom items I made myself was a PSU enclosure and a small distribution block mounted to the side of the scope. It works great! I love it! Thanks for the parts and your support!

Paul Nixon <khobar95@...>

Hi Ed,

Looks good!

What material did you use?

Paul

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2021 5:32 PM
To: main@onstep.groups.io
Subject: Re: [onstep] Celestron AVX NEMA Stepper Mount/Enclosure Models/STLs?

Hey George!

Sorry for the delay. Been a busy week. Here's an album. Custom items I made myself was a PSU enclosure and a small distribution block mounted to the side of the scope. It works great! I love it! Thanks for the parts and your support!

Ed Stroh

Thanks, Paul! Roman's models really worked great. Can't thank him enough for his work. I was selfishly hoping he might have something for AVXs but no such luck, sadly... 

It's a mix of PETG and ABS but mostly the former. That said, I don't really print with PETG anymore. Too many ruined glass beds... Mostly using ASA now for anything functional. 

Reg. the AVX, I took all the standard enclosure plastic to see what I was working with. It's possible I might be able to reuse the existing enclosures but, if not, I did find something on Thingiverse that states it was designed with the intent of allowing more space for a belt mod. Not sure I see the need for more room with the parts I'm planning to use but it might come in handy. I'm waiting for some NEMA11s to show up. I'll find out when I get them. I'll probably have to make something from scratch for the motherboard. I'm gonna buy a MiniPCB kit from George and try and put it in the same position as the OEM board. At first, I thought the OEM board enclosure might work but it's just a little too small. Time to pull out the calipers...

Thanks Ed.

I printed some stuff a while back using PLA. I tried ABS with little success. I just got a reel of PETG and my first two prints were okay, but I’m having some issues with layer shift.

I got lucky with the glass – my first PETG print came loose. I then read about the need for adhesive not just to make it stick but to save the glass. Otherwise…

ASA looks interesting.

Anyway, thanks again.

Paul

Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2021 7:58 PM

Thanks, Paul! Roman's models really worked great. Can't thank him enough for his work. I was selfishly hoping he might have something for AVXs but no such luck, sadly... 

It's a mix of PETG and ABS but mostly the former. That said, I don't really print with PETG anymore. Too many ruined glass beds... Mostly using ASA now for anything functional. 

Reg. the AVX, I took all the standard enclosure plastic to see what I was working with. It's possible I might be able to reuse the existing enclosures but, if not, I did find something on Thingiverse that states it was designed with the intent of allowing more space for a belt mod. Not sure I see the need for more room with the parts I'm planning to use but it might come in handy. I'm waiting for some NEMA11s to show up. I'll find out when I get them. I'll probably have to make something from scratch for the motherboard. I'm gonna buy a MiniPCB kit from George and try and put it in the same position as the OEM board. At first, I thought the OEM board enclosure might work but it's just a little too small. Time to pull out the calipers...

Brian Davis

I went through this process with my CGEM, and one of the guys here jumped in and strongly recommended ASA filament because of heat resistance.   Mounts that sit out in the sun, or in a hot car, can easily soften PLA to the point it begins to flow.  PETG is better, but still vulnerable.  ASA is probably the best in this circumstance, and it's considered an "Engineering" quality plastic.  So I used that to print my motor mounts, and so forth.  But it was a pain to get it to print well,  Still, it's worth the effort I think, if it keeps you from having to come back and replace mounted parts later on.  Its also the only filament that is UV/Chemical resistant.

That's what I recommend.

65176574053__470BF83F-6969-451D-8D0C-FC5960980C26.jpg

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 10:31 AM Paul Nixon <khobar95@...> wrote:

Thanks Ed.

I printed some stuff a while back using PLA. I tried ABS with little success. I just got a reel of PETG and my first two prints were okay, but I’m having some issues with layer shift.

I got lucky with the glass – my first PETG print came loose. I then read about the need for adhesive not just to make it stick but to save the glass. Otherwise…

ASA looks interesting.

Anyway, thanks again.

Paul

I learned the hard way about PLA and the sun here in Arizona! My PLA stuff warped. I tried ABS but just doesn’t seem to work for me. I just started trying PETG and got two reasonably okay prints, but suddenly things went south. I found a grub screw had come loose on the y-axis, but even after I fixed that something is not right. I can print low pieces like box end panels, but going over about ½” something happens. Like I said, I’ve just started with this the past couple of days, so I’m not jumping to any conclusions yet. I did “upgrade” my printer to a dual rail system to help with keeping the bed level, and maybe I missed something.

If I get things figured out, I’ll give ASA a go. It sure does look good.

Paul

Sent: Monday, August 30, 2021 9:52 AM

I went through this process with my CGEM, and one of the guys here jumped in and strongly recommended ASA filament because of heat resistance.   Mounts that sit out in the sun, or in a hot car, can easily soften PLA to the point it begins to flow.  PETG is better, but still vulnerable.  ASA is probably the best in this circumstance, and it's considered an "Engineering" quality plastic.  So I used that to print my motor mounts, and so forth.  But it was a pain to get it to print well,  Still, it's worth the effort I think, if it keeps you from having to come back and replace mounted parts later on.  Its also the only filament that is UV/Chemical resistant.

That's what I recommend.

Thanks Ed.

ASA looks interesting.

Anyway, thanks again.

Paul

Chad Gray

I have been using PETG for my parts.  Good UV resistance and temperature.

My Prusa with the textured sheets love PETG... of course they are better be!  PETG is what Prusa uses to make their printers so they are excellent PETG printers.

Another material to try is PC Blend.  Prusament PC Blend is an excellent filament.  It is harder to print with.  It tends to warp up or lift off of the print surface at sharp corners.

Chad

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 1:08 PM Paul Nixon <khobar95@...> wrote:

I learned the hard way about PLA and the sun here in Arizona! My PLA stuff warped. I tried ABS but just doesn’t seem to work for me. I just started trying PETG and got two reasonably okay prints, but suddenly things went south. I found a grub screw had come loose on the y-axis, but even after I fixed that something is not right. I can print low pieces like box end panels, but going over about ½” something happens. Like I said, I’ve just started with this the past couple of days, so I’m not jumping to any conclusions yet. I did “upgrade” my printer to a dual rail system to help with keeping the bed level, and maybe I missed something.

If I get things figured out, I’ll give ASA a go. It sure does look good.

Paul

Sent: Monday, August 30, 2021 9:52 AM

That's what I recommend.

Thanks Ed.

ASA looks interesting.

Anyway, thanks again.

Paul

--
I am working on a CGE Pro conversion kit to OnStep
https://chadgray.info/cge-pro-bolt-on-stepper-motor-conversion-kit/

HI Chad,

I have a Tronxy 3 that’s given mixed performance from the beginning. I added the dual-rail hoping a more stable bed would solve problems but, so far, the jury is out.

I have used special bed adhesive to help, but it seems glue stick works better. I read that PETG prefers to be laid down rather than squished, so my gap is slightly loose. I dunno…

Paul

Sent: Monday, August 30, 2021 11:21 AM

I have been using PETG for my parts.  Good UV resistance and temperature.

My Prusa with the textured sheets love PETG... of course they are better be!  PETG is what Prusa uses to make their printers so they are excellent PETG printers.

Another material to try is PC Blend.  Prusament PC Blend is an excellent filament.  It is harder to print with.  It tends to warp up or lift off of the print surface at sharp corners.

Chad

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 12:51 PM, Brian Davis wrote:
ASA is probably the best in this circumstance, and it's considered an "Engineering" quality plastic.  So I used that to print my motor mounts, and so forth.  But it was a pain to get it to print well,  Still, it's worth the effort I think
I use ASA almost exclusively and have had little trouble printing it. I use "near" ABS settings. This is the ASA I use, so yours may be different and require different settings. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QN4BKMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I print it at 245C nozzle, 85C bed, 45 mm/sec print speed, no cooling fan, 8mm brim, 0.1 or 0.15mm layers for final print. I apply a slurry of ASA and Acetone to the glass for an adhesive layer.  I use this for removal https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-in-Soft-Grip-Wallpaper-Stripper-WPS-HUS/310955143.

For structural parts I use a 50% infill, Gyroid pattern (Cura).

I got some PETG for comparison and have been unable to get what I  consider an acceptable print. I need to find some good settings for it.

I made some house numbers which I have mounted outside with direct Southern exposure. After 6 months they show no sign of UV deterioration.

Chip Louie

Hi Ed,

Are there any .stp, .step or .sldprt format files available for these parts? 

--

Chip Louie, Chief Daydreamer Imagination Hardware

Ed Stroh

Are there any .stp, .step or .sldprt format files available for these parts? 

Chip,

The motor mounts I used for my LXD65 can be found here. My PSU case is here and PDU here.