Problems with firmware

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 11:28 AM, Tom M wrote:
It is kind of hard to keep up!
The extent of my involvement with that is they seem to have copied some of my work (MaxESP3?) I've never really looked at it.

Tom M

image.png
Board top.JPGBoard bottom.JPG
Not incomplete or inaccurate, but general may be a better way to describe them.  Trying to trace out all the connections on a board this small is especially difficult for me.  A schematic specific to my board would sure be a help.

1)  I notice a BME280 sensor (temp, press, humidity?) on the above EDA sketch.  As far as I can tell, with my limited electronics knowledge, my controller (above) does not have this module.  Consequently, is there a reason I would want to download the (3) Adafruit Libraries I listed in my previous email?

2)  Also, it looks like (or I can't identify) whether my board has the DS3231 module. Same question as No. 1 as to the RTC library.
3)  I am rather confused with the "U" designations on the PCB.  For instance, The PCB designates U8 as the WeMos module, whereas the EDA schematic calls it "U2".  Similarly, the ESP32S is designated as "U9" on the PCB whereas the EDA schematic calls it "U1".  These two modules are obvious but it would help the uninitiated (me)   to find my way around the board
4) There is a yellow jumper across the terminals labeled "J1" just above the main blade fuse.  Is there any reason an on/off switch should/could be added here?
5)  Notice that the pins for "PWR" and "STAT" (top view, upper left) are left unconnected.  Would these be used for external LED connections?
6)  Finally, I have a PCB (assembled by George Cushing) designed by Howard Dutton, and modified by A. Kinlough but a Roman design?  It is kind of hard to keep up!

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 11:54 AM ghpicard <ghpicard@...> wrote:
I have built a complete MaxESP clone on prototype board following the EasyEDA schematic and can vouch for it being complete and accurate. I know the MaxESP is not the same as the MiniESP but what sometimes looks as incomplete wiring description just boils down to the fact that to make the boards more flexible, there are several jumpers and selectors where the wires change label. One has to help oneself with the printed circuit schematic to understand that changes.
But... What leads you to think that the schematics are incomplete/inaccurate?

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021, 12:31 Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 08:25 AM, Tom M wrote:
Is there a complete schematic for the MiniESP3 other than the EASY EDA version?  One that perhaps shows complete wiring?
Again, not my design (Roman,) but I seriously doubt the EasyEDA schematic is lacking any information.

What libraries are required depends on options are enabled, so strictly speaking none of those are "required."

ghpicard

[...]

What libraries are required depends on what options are enabled, so strictly speaking none of those are "required."

Tom M

Edited

Howard,
Is there a complete schematic for the MiniESP3 other than the EASY EDA version?  One that perhaps shows complete wiring?
Also, for this controller, are all of the following libraries required?

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 8:45 AM Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
Generally we just don't know a lot about Instein controllers and support in OnStep release-4.24 (what most use here) is basically an educated guess that seems to work.  I have no desire to become an expert on them either...

Now, feel free to ask specific questions about OnStep in general and I'll comment on these specific issues you mentioned.  First let me say please read the Wiki, learn how to flash your controller (with the software in my Github account or from Instein's sources if you can figure that out) you'll have to become your own expert, this is DIY here. ;)

For meridian flips be sure the Preferred Pier Side is set to East.
Be sure the Meridian limits (E/W) are set properly and such that there is an overlap region (where the flip is allowed.)
Be sure the controlling software is configured to trigger the flip in that overlap region.
This works for many users of both SGP and NINA.

For the guide rate issues... I will only say there are two guide rates in OnStep.  The normal guide rate and the pulse guide rate.  The pulse guide rate is remembered across power cycles and is only set/changed when a guide rate at or below 1X is set.  You can set 0.5x once then go set higher rates all you like and the pulse guide rate will still be 0.5x.  The exact behavior is described in the Wiki.  Also, technically the pulse guide rate is an optional feature but usually enabled by default in recent OnSteps.  Pulse guiding is used by my ASCOM driver.

Howard Dutton

[...]

"Guilherme Vênere

Hello Villem

Can you take a look at the OnStep FAQ (here: https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/7118 search for Instein there) and also in the document linked from there and see if it helps answer your question?

Guilherme

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 5:52 PM <villem989@...> wrote:

Hello, Im using OnStep (made by Instein) with Losmandy G11. There seems to be few things that I cant do via SGP or PHD2 and Im really stuck with these issues.

The first issue seems to be that OnStep doesnt allow automatic meridian flips via SGP. I think Id need to update my firmware and add an option there to allow it but it seems quite complicated. Ive never done it because I bought the mount second hand.

Second issue is that if there is a power loss OnStep seems to lose its guide rate setting. I dont know why but anything above 0.25x is totally unusable in PHD2 because even with 5ms pulses the motors seem to spin very fast. So fast that the guide stars are out of the frame! I seem to get around this problem by setting the guide rate manually and recalibrating my guider but its a pain.

Any thoughts on how to start digging into this? I tried emailing the Instein customer service but they just stopped responding out of the blue. :(

villem989@...