MaxPCB2 + GPS +BME280, is it possible?

Marco Lorenzi

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 10:16 AM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
I don't know why you'd consider that as incorrect
I just quoted what the linked page in the wiki said :"on the MaxPCB version 2.0, the PPS signal was incorrectly routed to the 32KHZ pin of the DS3231 where it should have gone to the SQW pin". But you are right, that error is fixed in the schematic.
Thanks for the comment on the PPS, good to know!
Regards
Marco

Dave Schwartz

From the Schematic and board layout, SQW (which is the 1Hz output from the DS3231) is connected to Pin 28 of the Teensy which is defined as the PPS pin in the pinmap so I don't know why you'd consider that as incorrect. That should be good enough for all intents and purposes as the PPS from the GPS. Of course, you could modify your DS3231 so as not to connect SQW to the socket and instead run PPS from your GPS to it. Seems like a lot of work for no foreseeable benefit - you'll never be able to tell the difference.

On 2021-10-09 12:34 p.m., Marco Lorenzi wrote:
On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 08:36 AM, Dave Schwartz wrote:

And the MaxPCB2 design on EasyEDA
(https://easyeda.com/hdutton/maxpcb2) says that the second serial
port (Serial4), to which you would connect the GPS, is on the 5
pin header J13 which is under the DS3231.

Thanks Dave. I got a bit confused as on the wiki <https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/26601> it is reported "adding a GPS to OnStep requires specifying an otherwise un-allocated hardware serial port for GPS use..for a Teensy3.5/3.6 you could use Serial6 for instance and add the following line to Config.h: "#define SerialGPS Serial6", and serial 6 was also mentioned <https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/81777915#32058> by the fella which used a Neo-6M in the past.. So in fact I can just use the Serial 4 for the GPS, thanks for clarifying :)
But what about the PPS signal? Should I re-route it from the DS3231 RTC (which seems also to be incorrectly connected <https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/8960>) to the GPS module instead?
Thanks for your suggestion :)
Marco

Marco Lorenzi

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 08:36 AM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
And the MaxPCB2 design on EasyEDA (https://easyeda.com/hdutton/maxpcb2) says that the second serial port (Serial4), to which you would connect the GPS, is on the 5 pin header J13 which is under the DS3231.
Thanks Dave. I got a bit confused as on the wiki it is reported "adding a GPS to OnStep requires specifying an otherwise un-allocated hardware serial port for GPS use..for a Teensy3.5/3.6 you could use Serial6 for instance and add the following line to Config.h: "#define SerialGPS Serial6", and serial 6 was also mentioned by the fella which used a Neo-6M in the past.. So in fact I can just use the Serial 4 for the GPS, thanks for clarifying :)
But what about the PPS signal? Should I re-route it from the DS3231 RTC (which seems also to be incorrectly connected) to the GPS module instead?
Thanks for your suggestion :)
Marco

Dave Schwartz

Just from reading up on it, the BME280 (an I2C device) would be supported by connecting to the unused 4-pin end of the DS3231. Those 4 pins just bring the I2C bus from the 6-pin end of the DS3231 and that's the standard way of doing that on the STM32 Blue Pill PCB.

On 2021-10-09 10:37 a.m., Marco Lorenzi wrote:
Hi all, I am wondering if the MaxPCB can supports at the same time a GPS module (I have a U-Blox NEO 7M which works well on a FYSETC) and a BME280 (I2C).
I saw in the past somebody got it working with a GPS module (here <https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/message/32058>) and the BME280 support is declared in the wiki, but how to connect both at the same time? Any suggestion?
Thanks
Marco

Marco Lorenzi

Hi all, I am wondering if the MaxPCB can supports at the same time a GPS module (I have a U-Blox NEO 7M which works well on a FYSETC) and a BME280 (I2C).
I saw in the past somebody got it working with a GPS module (here) and the BME280 support is declared in the wiki, but how to connect both at the same time? Any suggestion?
Thanks
Marco