WiFi not working (edited)

Martin Chapman

Morning all.
I have just installed the latest version of Onstep, now my Wi-Fi is playing up, I'm using the Wemos D1 mini V3.0, the blue light keeps flashing, my phone, tablet and laptop all say they are connected to the wifi with a good signal strength, but when I open the app on the phone and tablet, and Sky planetarium on the laptop, they all say cannot connect. I am using the MKS GenL V2.0 board with the latest release of Onstep.
Any Idea what dumb thing I have overlooked this time? I suspect it is an ID10T issue.......
Any help would be appreciated.
Mart.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

The blinking led indicates that OnStep and the Wemos are not connecting. The WiFi does not start until it is connected with OnStep so the presence of a WiFi signal is baffling. Please post your config files (as an attachment). Also, are you using the SWS from OnStep or the newer "standalone" SWS? Please post the version numbers from OnStep and SWS also. They are in the OnStep.ino and SmartWebServer.ino files.

Martin Chapman

Hi Drew, I'm trying to use Onstep version 2.24 I have attached the configs for Onstep and the Wifi. No idea about SWS, for the laptop I just set the Wifi to Onstep, it connects and  then I can use Skyplanetarium, or at least I could until now. When I loaded the latest version of Onstep, I did not change the Wifi, dou you think I need to reload the Wemos too?
Take care and stay safe.
Mart.

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 1:13 PM Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ <drewbolce@...> wrote:
The blinking led indicates that OnStep and the Wemos are not connecting. The WiFi does not start until it is connected with OnStep so the presence of a WiFi signal is baffling. Please post your config files (as an attachment). Also, are you using the SWS from OnStep or the newer "standalone" SWS? Please post the version numbers from OnStep and SWS also. They are in the OnStep.ino and SmartWebServer.ino files.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

SWS = SmartWebServer, it is an anachronism for the Wemos code. You should change SERIAL_B_BAUD_DEFAULT   from 9600 to 57600 in the OnStep config.h. This is not your problem but will help.

Yes, you should flash the Wemos with the latest software. https://github.com/hjd1964/SmartWebServer

Martin Chapman

Thanks, I'll try this.
Take care and stay safe.
Mart.

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 2:35 PM Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ <drewbolce@...> wrote:
SWS = SmartWebServer, it is an anachronism for the Wemos code. You should change SERIAL_B_BAUD_DEFAULT   from 9600 to 57600 in the OnStep config.h. This is not your problem but will help.

Yes, you should flash the Wemos with the latest software. https://github.com/hjd1964/SmartWebServer

On my MKS 2.0, I have the Config file set this way below.  I believe Serial C must be enabled.  I recall another user who had the same issue, and once he enabled Serial C, the connection to Onstep was made.

Also, I am using firmware 2.4.2 for the Wemos D1 Mini.  It is stable and works well.

#define PINMAP                        MksGenL2 //    OFF, Choose from: MiniPCB, MiniPCB2, MaxPCB, MaxPCB2, STM32Blue,             <-Req'd
                                          //         Ramps14, MaxESP2, MaxESP3.  Check Constants.h for more info.

On my MKS, I have Serial A, B and C all set to 9600 baud.  See below

#define SERIAL_A_BAUD_DEFAULT        9600 //   9600, n. Where n=9600,19200,57600,115200 (common baud rates.)                  Infreq
#define SERIAL_B_BAUD_DEFAULT        9600 //   9600, n. See (src/HAL/) for your MCU Serial port # etc.                        Option
#define SERIAL_B_ESP_FLASHING         OFF //    OFF, ON Upload ESP8266 WiFi firmware through SERIAL_B with :ESPFLASH# cmd.    Option
#define SERIAL_C_BAUD_DEFAULT        9600  //    OFF, n, ON for ESP32 Bluetooth.                                               Option
#define SERIAL_C_BLUETOOTH_NAME  "OnStep" // "On..", Bluetooth device name for ESP32.                                         Option

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Thanks, Otto I am not familiar with that board and the Wiki is somewhat obscure on it. There are three serial ports available, so this may be his problem. He may want to look at his old config.h (which was working) and see if serial C was enabled.

I retract my statement about the 57600 baud. It is probably best to keep the 9600 baud with this processor.

Martin Chapman

Hi Otto, thanks for this, that sorted the Wifi out a treat, appears to be just as it was, one odd thing though, my max goto rate is only 0.5 deg/sec, any ideas where that is coming from, my Config file hase the base rate set to 2 deg/sec.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 07:14 AM, Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ wrote:
and the Wiki is somewhat obscure on it.
It was obscure... and incorrect in some places, should be better now.

RAMPS and MKS Gen-L

Tom M

Howard,  Is a plug-in necessary on Stellarium v 0.21.1 to get the Onstep ASCOM Driver to communicate with it?  The user guide on Stellarium is not clear or committal on this.
Thomas

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 1:35 PM Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 07:14 AM, Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ wrote:
and the Wiki is somewhat obscure on it.
It was obscure... and incorrect in some places, should be better now.

RAMPS and MKS Gen-L

Dave Schwartz

No, Stellarium now supports the ASCOM interface natively.

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 1:35 PM Howard Dutton <hjd1964@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 07:14 AM, Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ wrote:

and the Wiki is somewhat obscure on it.

It was obscure... and incorrect in some places, should be better now.

RAMPS and MKS Gen-L <https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/3996>

AFAIK recent versions have ASCOM support, no plugin required.

Tom M

AFAIK ???

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 4:00 PM Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
AFAIK recent versions have ASCOM support, no plugin required.

Dave Schwartz

Internet acronym for 'As far as I know'

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 12:07 PM, Martin Chapman wrote:
Hi Otto, thanks for this, that sorted the Wifi out a treat, appears to be just as it was, one odd thing though, my max goto rate is only 0.5 deg/sec, any ideas where that is coming from, my Config file hase the base rate set to 2 deg/sec.
Martin, you will have to check to be sure your Config.h file is adjusting the microstep to a lower value when slewing/Goto.  This will give you a faster slew.  Was your slew/goto faster before you upgraded?  I also suspect many things changed in your config.h when you did the upgrade, so you will want to verify all of the values are what they should be.

FYI...If you are using TMC2209 drivers (like I am), they are not SPI, so OnStep cannot change the microstep value on the fly.  They are fixed and set by jumpers.  I use 32 microsteps, but use Pulse vs Square.  I get decent slews of a bit less than 1deg/sec.  Yes, it's on the slower side, but honestly, I don't mind it.

Martin Chapman

Hi, I only changed the version of Onstep to the latest, plus the WiFi. Am using 5160 drivers, as I have been for a while, used to get 4 deg/sec

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 11:30 AM, Martin Chapman wrote:
Hi, I only changed the version of Onstep to the latest, plus the WiFi. Am using 5160 drivers, as I have been for a while, used to get 4 deg/sec

Assuming your posted Config file is the one you were using, your GOTO microsteps are set to 1050.  I think that is the problem. Lower it to 8 or 16.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

You could also try setting STEP_WAVE_FORM to PULSE in OnStep.

Martin Chapman

Thanks, Drew, I will try that, was square before though...

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021, 22:33 Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️, <drewbolce@...> wrote:
You could also try setting STEP_WAVE_FORM to PULSE in OnStep.

marorte otero

Hello Otto, as it is possible that I connect the Wemos esp32 via usb to the computer, the WiFi esp8266 mini connects perfectly and when I connect it to the power supply it keeps blinking all the time and does not connect