Dave Schwartz

I assume you have a fairly recent SMP? Early versions didn't work with OnStep due to an expectation difference in the protocol but that's been fixed for nearly 2 years.

I had it working yesterday with the current SWS so its not a systemic issue. Try enabling the SMP communications log.

On 2021-10-29 2:27 p.m., Chris Lambert wrote:
OK. About to pull my hair out.
I have stellarium running on a raspberry pi with an arduino mega 2560 connected via USB with a ramps1.4 connected onto it.
I cannot seem to love or money get anything to work properly. I have however managed to get stellarium on my phone to connect via WiFi but when it probes lx200 it just won't connect, see attached pic. So with that in mind, I can assume I have the right ip and port open.
What am I missing?

Chris Lambert

OK, pardon my ignorance, but what is SMP?
in not sure what version etc I'm using

Dave Schwartz

SMP == Stellarium Mobile Plus.

In the current version, the comms log is the icon to the right of the 'Network' type dropdown.

On 2021-10-29 2:35 p.m., Chris Lambert wrote:
OK, pardon my ignorance, but what is SMP?
in not sure what version etc I'm using

Chris Lambert

Ah OK.
I don't have that  , just normal free stellarium.  Does that matter?

Dave Schwartz

I don't think telescope control works in the non-Plus edition. See https://stellarium-labs.com/stellarium-mobile-plus/

On 2021-10-29 3:50 p.m., Chris Lambert wrote:
Ah OK.
I don't have that  , just normal free stellarium.  Does that matter?

Chris Lambert

Well bugger me. I never knew that 😳 🤦
No wonder the app doesn't connect. I guess I shall purchase the correct app.
Many thanks for that info.
Additionally I have a screen attached to my pi with stellarium loaded onto the pi. Can I then assume that also has the wrong version loaded on it and also hence why I can't control my ramps from it, or would there be an additional issue?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 04:04 PM, Chris Lambert wrote:
Additionally I have a screen attached to my pi with stellarium loaded onto the pi. Can I then assume that also has the wrong version loaded on it and also hence why I can't control my ramps from it, or would there be an additional issue?
You mean you have Stellarium running on Linux which runs on the Pi?
if not, which operating system do you have on the Pi?

Dave Schwartz

Stellarium the open source project and Stellarium Mobile [Plus] the Android/iOS app that is a closed-source product of Stellarium Labs run by two of the original creators of Stellarium are two different things. The PC/Linux/Mac version you get from the open source project does support telescope control natively (and via ASCOM on PC) and this is probably the same source used to build the Rpi version.

On 2021-10-29 4:04 p.m., Chris Lambert wrote:
Well bugger me. I never knew that 😳 🤦
No wonder the app doesn't connect. I guess I shall purchase the correct app.
Many thanks for that info.
Additionally I have a screen attached to my pi with stellarium loaded onto the pi. Can I then assume that also has the wrong version loaded on it and also hence why I can't control my ramps from it, or would there be an additional issue?

Chris Lambert

I think it's got a standard raspbian installed then stellarium installed.

I just keep getting this error report from the mobile app regarding the connection issue.

Start scanning telescopes
Searching for: SkyWatcher SynScan App
Starting telescope connection on Network
Host: 127.0.0.1 Port: 11882
Serial link status changed: connecting
Serial link status changed: disconnected
Could not find: SkyWatcher SynScan App
Searching for: Meade Stella Wifi Module / Sky Safari SkyFi / ZWO ASIAIR
Starting telescope connection on Network
Host: 10.0.0.1 Port: 4030
Serial link status changed: connecting
Serial link status changed: disconnected
Could not find: Meade Stella Wifi Module / Sky Safari SkyFi / ZWO ASIAIR
Scan over, no scopes found
Starting telescope connection on Network
Host: 192.168.0.226 Port: 10001
Serial link status changed: connecting
Starting telescope connection on Network
Host: 192.168.0.226 Port: 9998
Serial link status changed: connecting
Serial link status changed: connected
Identifying telescope controller...
Trying NexStar...
Ka => TRX timeout
Echo not working, no NexStar-compatible controller connected
Trying LX200...
# =>
Serial link status changed: closing
Serial link status changed: connecting
Cannot identify a telescope protocol on serial connection

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 04:21 PM, Chris Lambert wrote:
I think it's got a standard raspbian installed then stellarium installed.
Stellarium desktop is not really the best planetarium, apart from its attempts to give a realistic visual depiction of the sky.
Also integration with OnStep is kind of odd. Unless you have been using Stellarium desktop for a long time, there is no benefit in starting to use it.

Since you use Raspbian, KStars/Ekos/INDI is a much better fit, though KStars itself is a couple of features behind other free planetariums. The integration with Ekos, plate solving, sequence management, ...etc. all makes up for that.

Chris Lambert

OK, that's interesting.  So in your opinion,  what would be best to use and would integrate/setup easily with onstep  using my ramps config please.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 04:33 PM, Chris Lambert wrote:
So in your opinion,  what would be best to use and would integrate/setup easily with onstep  using my ramps config please.
There is no absolute "best".
It depends on many factors.
Given that you already run a version of Linux, then KStars would be the best fit.
There are several people using AstroBerry on this list, which is a Pi operating system with software on it for astrophotography.

Dave Schwartz

Stellarium is still a good choice if your needs are simple. I've grown to like its user interface and use both the mobile and PC version. I don't try to pile anything else on it so its very uncomplicated to integrate. In the observatory where I do imaging, I still use it to select objects and move around the telescope but control of the camera as well as plate-solving to fine-tune the positioning and focusing are done through SharpCap which coexists quite happily with ASCOM connected to the same mount. Its obvious though that I'm a PC guy.

But this is now becoming a religious argument.

YMMV.

On 2021-10-29 4:33 p.m., Chris Lambert wrote:
OK, that's interesting.  So in your opinion,  what would be best to use and would integrate/setup easily with onstep  using my ramps config please.

Chris Lambert

To be honest, I'm not really bothered by what app/program to use, just as long as I can get it all to work and to make My telescope to move.
Ideally I wanted to control it remotely,  say from the comfort of my lounge.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 06:13 PM, Chris Lambert wrote:
Ideally I wanted to control it remotely,  say from the comfort of my lounge.
That is exactly how I do it, to avoid the cold in the cooler months, and mosquitoes in summer.
I use KStars/Ekos running on an older laptop that is under the mount.
Then over WiFi, I control it from my laptop indoors.

You can do the exact same, just replacing the mount side laptop with the Pi that you have.

My software stack is: Xubuntu + KStars/Ekos/INDI
You just replace Xubuntu with Raspian.

This is not the only way to do it, there are other software stacks. However, with Raspbian
this is the most common stack.
You can also use CCDCiel + CdC/SkyChart + INDI.

Chris Lambert

OK, so here is where I'm at.
Got kstars downloaded and already looks promising,  however,
As you can see from my pic, it has found the connection that my mega/ramps is connected too but nothing is happening.  Is there something I need to add/change possibly in the onstep programming etc for it to move my telescope?

Ken Hunter

Have you set tracking ON? My steppers are not energized until I do that.

Chris Lambert

I'm not sure tbh. How do I check?
I do know before I turn things on , the motors are free to move, but once the Mega is turned on, the motors "lock" like they are energized

Khalid Baheyeldin

Chris,

Which version of OnStep are you using?
Older versions required certain actions before you can start a slew (e.g. start an alignment).
But the latest 4.24 does not require any of that, as long as you set the location, date, time and UTC offset.
If you set the above, then you can start slewing right away, without starting an alignment.

Enabling tracking in Config.h is no longer necessary.

Another thing: are you getting values in the tabs that are further to the right?
In there, there should be the OnStep version, the returned values from :GU, alignment status, and so on.