Focuser not working, FYSETC S6 v2.0 #fysetc

Sean

I'm trying to add a Onstep focuser for the first time now to my FYSETC S6 v2.0 but the motor fails to move.

In the config.h I've enabled the AXIS 4 FOCUSER 1 (see attached pic)

I've uploaded this to my board, plugged a BIGTREETECH TMC2130 v3.0 stepper motor driver into the E0-MOT socket, as well as plugged a NEMA17 200 step per revolution motor into the E0-MOT plug.

In NINA, I can succesfully connect to the ONSTEP focuser but it fails to move.

I'm thinking the problem is the fact that I'm using a almost 4ft wire to the motor.  I'm not sure of the gauge, but its thin.  Just standard 6 wire flat cable with RJ12 ends.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sean

ssalb

My two cents on this, as I had a similar issue not long ago, although it seems you have these points covered already.
First I thought I connected the driver to the E0-MOT slot but it was actually the Z axis one (I also have the S6).
After that I thought it wasn't working, but I was wrong and it was just moving veeery slowly.

philippe.larrieux@...

Did you slew before trying focus ? If I remember well, focuser motor is powered only after slewing.

Sean

Ok I'll try slewing first.  Maybe thats all I need.

Fingers crossed.

I double checked where everything is plugged in.

Sean

Slewing first didn't work for me.  Focus motor still not working.

Does it matter that my focuser stepper motor driver is not exactly the same?  It is a BIGTREETECH TMC2130 v3.0 spi, and my RA/DEC axis' are FYSETC TMC2130'S v1.0 that I've modified for spi.

philippe.larrieux@...

Ok, too bad.

Regarding drivers, it shouldn't matter. If you didn't try it already, I would swap the bigtreetech to one of the working axis, try both focuser with fysetc and slew with bigtreetech, just to be sure that it works properly. I presume that you changed board jumpers for spi, right?

Sean

Ok good idea to try swapping the stepper drivers around, I'll try that.

As for the jumpers, my board came with the jumpers pre-configured for spi mode enabled.

Robert Benward

Check the voltage on the enable pin (pin 1 on the driver) during and after a drive (we're not slewing anywhere I suspect).  Make sure it is low (~0v) during the drive.
Bob

Chad Gray

I got confused trying to get my focuser working.  I found that the mount has to be tracking in order for the focuser too work.