New to this project #arduino

nicolassenechal@...

Hello everyone,

I bought a SkyWatcher Dobsonian 8" without any tracking devices, because I had this idea to motorize it even if my knowledge is not that big about... anything actually !

But I do love arduino projects, so I searched for motorizing a dobsonian telescope and I discovered a few projects, this one for example : https://www.instructables.com/Control-Your-Telescope-Using-Stellarium-Arduino/

But I wanted more than that, this project was just good to know where your telescope was pointing at on Stellarium, but I wanted a real Goto system even if the difficulty seemed really hard !

I wanted to combine motorization and tracking, without polar alignement just like the azgti mounts. After a lot of search, I found the OnStep project and I couldn't be happier !

I just wanted to know if a project example from the wiki could help me the best way ? If I understand well, the OnStep project can control Alt-AZ axis with, for example, arduino boards by telling them how to move depending on the celestial body the telescope is pointing at ? There's so much things on the GitHub page, could you tell me what part of the code that does that ? I like to fully understand what I'm building, even if there's some maths (I've watched some videos about spherical trigonometry recently for example).

Thank you !!

kevin

 i haven't done it yet, but a lot of people have, it is mainly mechanical so no need for trigonometry. work your way through the Dobson section of https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/4414 for inspiration.
once onstep controlled you can link it  as a GOTO system in stellarium ( or some others)  if you want, click on a star and it GOTOs it.
Have Fun
Kevin