WeMos D1 Mini Pro

Mark Mahaffey

Error trying to flash the SmartWebServer onto the WeMos D1 Mini Pro. The WeMos D1 mini flashes without any issue but when I try to flash to the WeMos D1 mini Pro I'm getting the following errors:
warning: espcom_sync failed
error: espcom_open failed
error: espcom_upload_mem failed
error: espcom_upload_mem failed

I read the Wiki page for the Wifi/SWS and I didn't find anything to point me to how to fix this.
I the Arduino app under tools I tried the LOLIN (WEMOS) D1 Mini, LOLIN (WEMOS) D1 Mini Pro and the Generic ESP8266 Module but I get the same errors.

In the windows device manager the Com port listed for the WeMos D1 Mini Pro states "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge" while for the WeMos D1 Mini it states "USB-SERIAL CH340". Wonder if the issue has to do with the one being "USB-SERIAL" which works but the "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge" does not work?

Any help would be appreciated,
Mark

Marc

I experienced a different kind of strangeness but maybe the same solution will help you.

Try using version 3.0.1 of the ESP8266 board library. It worked on my D1 Mini Pro.

--
Marc

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 3:36 PM Mark Mahaffey <mahaffm@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Marc,

I'm not following, how do I get to version 3.0.1 of the ESP8266 board library? I looked through the libraries via Tools> Manager Libraries but did not find it. The only reference I found to this was in the arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json.

Mark

Mark Mahaffey

I found where to change the ESP8266 board library and I did change from 3.0.2 to 3.0.1 version. I am now getting a different set of errors.
see below:
Serial port COM3
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____.....____Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\mmaha\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1/tools/upload.py", line 66, in <module>
    esptool.main(cmdline)
  File "C:/Users/mmaha/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/3.0.1/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 3552, in main
    esp.connect(args.before, args.connect_attempts)
  File "C:/Users/mmaha/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/3.0.1/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 529, in connect
    raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

Not sure what this is telling me.

Mark

Alain K

Hi Mark and Marc,

I have 3 of this D2 Mini Pro clone from china that have the same problem.
I try many tricks i found on the WEB but nothing that work.
If someone found a solution, please post it here.

Alain.

Szőllősi Tamás

Try to upgrade to ESP8266 Community version 2.4.2

Mark Mahaffey

No luck, did the upgrade to ESP8266 Version 2.4.2 but now getting an error during compile.

Mark

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

I don't know if this is the problem (I only have non-pro versions) but the pro is supposed to have 16mb of flash. There have been some modules claiming to be pros but have only 4mb of flash like the non-pro. These will not flash with 16mb of flash set like in the "Lolin(Wemos) D1 mini Pro" The output from compiling should show the actual amount of flash on the module.

If this is the case you can compile the SWS using the "WeMos D1 R1". It should compile and run. Also try version 2.7.4. It is known to be good.

Mark Mahaffey

It compiled with Version 2.7.4 and I used the WeMos D1 R1 board however still getting the same error. I also tried the Generic ESP8266, LOIN (WeMos) D1mini Pro and getting the same error, see below. It really appears it has something to do with the COM. It tries to connect but times out after about 15 seconds of trying, I tried all of the different baud rates but nothing seems to work getting it to communicate.

Serial port COM3
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____.....____Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\mmaha\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.7.4/tools/upload.py", line 65, in <module>
    esptool.main(cmdline)
  File "C:/Users/mmaha/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.7.4/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 2890, in main
    esp.connect(args.before)
  File "C:/Users/mmaha/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.7.4/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 483, in connect
    raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

I guess it time to go back to the non pro. I wanted the mini for the external antennae. I guess I'll just have to cut the traces on the non pro and solder on the antennae leads that way.

Thanks everyone for your helps,
Mark

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 05:21 PM, Mark Mahaffey wrote:
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header
That looks like the exact same error we see with the ESP32. Try pressing the reset button for several seconds after you see "Connecting........_____....."

Mark Mahaffey

Hi Drew,

Tried pressing the reset button as you suggested but still getting the same errors. Is there any way to test the board to see if it is even working maybe like loading a dummy test program of some sort?

Mark

Alain K

You can try the blank scketch you have when you open the ArduinoIDE, i make that to blank a module.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

The examples section of the left most pull down (files) has several. Try the ESP8266/Blink

Could you post a link or picture of your board? There are many versions out there.

Mark Mahaffey

I tried the ESP8266/Blink but still getting the same errors. I tried all the different boards variations and still getting the same errors.

Attached are pictures, front and back, of the ESP8266 D1 mini Pro

Mark

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Try the LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 R2 & mini

Do you have a link to the vendor?

Mark Mahaffey

Tried the LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 R2 & Mini and still getting the same errors.

Here's the link to Amazon for the ESp3266 Boards that I purchased, Amazon.com: AITRIP 3PCS D1 Mini Pro 4MB ESP8266 ESP-8266EX CP2104 WiFi External Antenna Connector Micro USB Serial Converter Development Board PWM/12C/1-Wire Compatible with Arduino : Electronics.

Wonder if anyone is using the pro and if so where did you purchase from? Given all of the testing so far I just don't think the ones I purchased from Amazon are going to work.

Mark

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

I would not give up just yet. Arduino boards are problematic because they are widely copied. In your case your board is not a Pro since it has only 4Mb of flash. A true Pro has 16Mb. It is really a mini with a external antenna socket.

That being said many are having issues with the "Pro" versions. The mini has proven to be the most reliable. George has been adding his own external antenna's to them. I 3D print a plastic top to the OnStep case.

Try updating the board to the latest v3.0.2 and selecting LOLIN(WEMOS) d1 mini (clone).

BTW, you are getting data back when you select "Get Board info"?

Mark Mahaffey

Updated the board to V3.0.2 and selected LOLIN(WEMOS) d1 mini (clone) and still getting the same errors.

Selected Get Board Info and got this
BN: Unknown Board
VID: 10C4
PID: EA60

Not sure if this is actually being return from the board or not.

Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 05:14 PM, Mark Mahaffey wrote:
Not sure if this is actually being return from the board or not.
That tells me that you are connecting to the board and it is responding.  There must be something in the board settings that we are missing. Try reducing the baud rate to 115200. You might try changing some of the other setting such as Flash Mode to DIO.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

One more idea is to check your usb port driver. In Windows it will be in the device manager/ports. I found someone who reported success with the Lolin clone board selection and "VCP driver (win10): CH340g".

I have had weird results in the past with these USB drivers. It can be a pain to find the right one/version for a particular chip.