OnstepX Maxpcb3.6 - Focuser 's Problem #onstepx

Debalme Stephane

Hi,
I've just build a Maxpcb3.6 + teensy4.1 and run it with OnstepX.
The motor Mount run with 2 TMC5160 and seems ok on the table (the steeper Motor run)
But I cannot run the focuser motor. I m using a TMC2130.
I m using the ethernet addon (w5500 and teensy 3.2). When I change the config.h the focuser never appear in the sws. I 'm using the axis4 for the focuser.
I can see the axis3 (rotator) if I activate it by choosing a driver model but it doesn t work with the axis4. I m missing something but don(t see what.
As someome get the focuser run in that configuration?
thanks
stéphane

Howard Dutton

Not with that specific hardware but yes I've gotten the focusers to work with X.

I wonder if you're using an older version SWS as the detection and use of focusers has changed in X.

This is what you should be using:
https://github.com/hjd1964/SmartWebServer/tree/main

Debalme Stephane

thanks,
I was using the sws 1.0....
I got the right one but I still don't see the focuser.
The rotator does work (I mean I m able to see it in the sws)
I add some pic

Debalme Stephane

same problem with the ascom.

Howard Dutton

No idea what's going on there.

Debalme Stephane

For information, I tried different things:
- I tried to activate the other focusers (Axis5 ) but without success
- I changed the driver type. I used a TMC5160 instead of the TMC2130.
I could never see Axis 4 or more in the SWS.
I wondered if I had not made a mistake by forgetting a parameter in the config.h. I checked both config.h files (onstepX and SWS),but couldn't find anything. I tried many change but with no success.
From what I currently understand, the software acts as if the activation of the focuser does not work or as if I do not know how to activate it.
I think it's more the second option because you already made it work with OnstepX.
If you want me to test something, don't hesitate, I don't have many other ideas at the moment

milcha001@...

I have Teensy 4.1, MaxPcb3.6 - my focuser worked with either TMC5160 and TMC2130. For the appearance on web site I had to wipe NV and, just for the case, erased flash (for wemos esp32 mini).

debalmes71@...

For information, I tried different things:
- I tried to activate the other focusers (Axis5 ) but without success
- I changed the driver type. I used a TMC5160 instead of the TMC2130.
I could never see Axis 4 or more in the SWS.
I wondered if I had not made a mistake by forgetting a parameter in the config.h. I checked both config.h files (onstepX and SWS),but couldn't find anything. I tried many change but with no success.
From what I currently understand, the software acts as if the activation of the focuser does not work or as if I do not know how to activate it.
I think it's more the second option because you already made it work with OnstepX.
If you want me to test something, don't hesitate, I don't have many other ideas at the moment

Howard Dutton

It is my bet that the focuser isn't being activated for whatever reason.

You could use the debug option (Extended.config.h) to see what OnStepX finds when it tries to activate that focuser:
#define DEBUG VERBOSE

Howard Dutton

Edited

Note that you have errors in your configuration...

Should have _DRIVER_MICROSTEPS set to some value (OnStepX detects OFF and defaults to 1.)
Should have _DRIVER_STATUS ON (technically HIGH is allowed but certainly not correct here.)
Should have FOCUSER_TEMPERATURE OFF (as BME280_0x76 isn't a valid option for this setting.)

None of these should keep it from working though and I checked to confirm that.  The BME280 is valid as a WEATHER sensor only, the focuser subsystem will fall back to using it if no point temperature source is available.

Debalme Stephane

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 03:55 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
None of these should keep it from working though and I checked to confirm that.
thank you for the corrections. I will already correct these problems this evening and also debug

Debalme Stephane

I made the changes and many tries to change some values but couldn't get it start.

Debalme Stephane

But _DRIVER_STATUS ON give a bad result as shown on the pics

Howard Dutton

Update to the latest OnStepX and Teensyduino.

Upload then run :ENVRESET# to clear EEPROM settings so past bad settings overriding Config.h don't trip it up.

Turn OFF driver status if it doesn't work.

Debalme Stephane

Thanks Howard,
Ok I did the test with the OnstepX version that I downloaded last night, I'm trying with the new version tonight. Ok for teensyduino too.
Does this mean that uploading a new config.h is not enough to overwrite the eeprom?
This makes sense because in the debug list, one of the errors says Axis4 subdivisions should be > subdivisionsgoto, which was actually not true in some previous config.h (they were equal) but fixed in latest config.h (256 > 8)
About the driver status, I tried all the options (OFF, ON, HIGH and LOW) and it only works with the HIGH option, I was planning to leave it like that. It is a problem?
I l let you know as soon as I finish the test.

Howard Dutton

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 11:17 PM, Debalme Stephane wrote:
Does this mean that uploading a new config.h is not enough to overwrite the eeprom?
// If runtime axis settings are enabled changes in the section below may be ignored unless you reset to defaults:
// \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
#define AXIS4_STEPS_PER_MICRON        0.5 //    0.5, n. Steps per micrometer. Figure this out by testing or other means.      Adjust
#define AXIS4_REVERSE                 OFF //    OFF, ON Reverses movement direction, or reverse wiring instead to correct.    Option
#define AXIS4_LIMIT_MIN                 0 //      0, n. Where n=0..500 (millimeters.) Minimum allowed position.               Adjust
#define AXIS4_LIMIT_MAX                50 //     50, n. Where n=0..500 (millimeters.) Maximum allowed position.               Adjust

#define AXIS4_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS        32 //    OFF, n. Microstep mode when tracking.                                         Option
#define AXIS4_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS_GOTO    8 //    OFF, n. Microstep mode used during slews. OFF uses _DRIVER_MICROSTEPS.        Option

// for TMC2130, TMC5160, and TMC2209U STEP/DIR driver models:
#define AXIS4_DRIVER_IHOLD            OFF //    OFF, n, (mA.) Current during standstill. OFF uses IRUN/2.0                    Option
#define AXIS4_DRIVER_IRUN             OFF //    OFF, n, (mA.) Current during tracking, appropriate for stepper/driver/etc.    Option
#define AXIS4_DRIVER_IGOTO            OFF //    OFF, n, (mA.) Current during slews. OFF uses IRUN.                            Option
// /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /

Debalme Stephane

It works. Sorry I didn't come to the idea to reset. Everything is fine now. The new SWS is very nice! I ll go further in my testing. Thanks a lot, this design is very nice

stéphane

debalmes71@...

by the way the _DRIVER_STATUS ON does work now .
stéphane

Howard Dutton

Good to hear.

Debalme Stephane

Hi,
I'm using a Maxpcb3.6 + teensy4.1 and run it with OnstepX, the ethernet addon (w5500 and teensy 3.2).
I ve the following problem: I used the focuser for test with the SWS and everything was ok.
I tried to use the ascom but meet the following problem shown on the picture.
I put 10 step/um, if I give a target at 260.000 um in SWS, I should have 2.600.000 step. But I only got 2.599.999 step in the ascom driver. wich is a problem for Nina. The soft return that the focuser is stuck. I tried many diffrent config but I still have the same problem. Thanks stéphane