CNCv3 and S109

OuttaControl

Hi,
I have CNCv3 on Wemos D1 R32 board, and I have it perfectly working with LV8729, but unfortunately when I plug in S109 it does not work for some reason, it is not able to boot, I get this error when debugging verbose:

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x33 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
invalid header: 0xffffffff
invalid header: 0xffffffff
invalid header: 0xffffffff
invalid header: 0xffffffff
invalid header: 0xffffffff
invalid header: 0xffffffff
invalid header: 0xffffffff
invalid header: 0xffffffff
ets Jul 29 2019 12:21:46
Fun fact, I get same error when I try to plug TMC2209

When I boot with LV8729 plugged in I get following status and it all works as a charm:

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fff0030,len:1240
load:0x40078000,len:13012
load:0x40080400,len:3648
entry 0x400805f8

One maybe important fact is that I actually did not get Wemos D1 R32, but aliex seller sent me ESPDUINO32, they look the same, and it works with LV drivers

Howard Dutton

I'm guessing the GPIO12 pin, used for all four drivers ENable, is being pulled logic HIGH by S109's when it must be LOW.

Install a pulldown resistor if you'd like to test that theory, perhaps 4.7k or 2.2k to be sure it's LOW at boot.

George Cushing

The 2208/09, S109 and LV8729 have a different pin arrangements. So if you cable for the LV8729 which has the Pololu pattern is It going to work for the A109? Yes, the is the same, but the coils are reversed as will be the direction rotation. The S109 can put out 4A a 0.9A motor will not take that for long. The LV8729 cable is also fine on the 2208/09 driver, but again the coils are reversed.

OuttaControl

Well I forgot to mention when i short EN and GND i get TMC2209 working, but S109 does not and shows same error,  I will try with resistor, unfortunately I do not have one at hand with those specifications so I have to order, or scrap something :D

OuttaControl

Thanks George, I newer saw that, I am still prototyping so I do not have direction at this moment but it could make me confused indeed.

Do not worry about current I take care I do not overload my steppers, I even keep them under their required amps(~70%), and it works flawlessly as they are not under big load, no need to waste electricity :D