Wemos R32 with CNC V3 over Ethernet #wemos

Mark Mahaffey

I am wondering if someone might be able offer some guidance/advice. I am currently using the WeMos R32 with CNC V3 Shield along with the DS3231 RTC and WeMosD1 Mini ESP8266 running SWS over Wifi. I have two Celestron mounts converted, CG5 and CGEM-DX, running OnStep 4.24. All of the above is working very well and I am extremely pleased with how everything is working. Tracking and Backlash has been greatly improved by having the Celestron gearing removed and replaced with timing belts, (There is NO backlash to content with this design!).  However, I would like to run the Smart Web Server via Ethernet but can’t seem to find the information needed to be able to run the WeMos R32 with CNC V3 via ethernet.

I read the Smart Web Server (Ethernet and WIfi) Wiki page but I am still not sure what is needed or how best to reconfigure the WeMos R32 with CNC V3 for Ethernet. Would the direct plug-in board like the W5500 Ethernet Shield V2.0 work? This board appears to be able to be directly plugged into the Wemos R32 board and the CNC V3 can plug into it. If this board can work, how would one upload the Smart Web Server (SWS) to this board?

Any guidance/advice is greatly appreciated.

Mark

Chad Gray

Hey Mark, if you want hard wired Ethernet Howard had a cool little adapter PCB to take a teensy and the w5500 Ethernet module and make them the same footprint as the 8622.

You load the SWS onto the teensy.

If you don't want the PCB you can just follow the traces to understand how to wire everything up.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022, 4:48 PM Mark Mahaffey <mahaffm@...> wrote:

[...]

Jordi Sese

Hi Mark,

I used that connection some time ago. Eventually, I got back to the usb/serial since I resolved other problems and It was simpler for my configuration, but it worked fine. It required some modification to the code since I used a Wemos D1 Mini instead of a teensy...
Here you have the link to the post where I commented it:

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/84259246#35803

Regards from Barcelona,

Jordi.

Chad Gray

Using the D1 Mini 8266 would be much better than teensy as the cost of Teensy is so high right now.

I read the thread.  Is the current code base compatible to use the w5500 with the 8266 now?  I just need to figure out how to wire them together?

Thanks,
Chad

On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 4:20 PM Jordi Sese via groups.io <jordi_sese=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Mark,

I used that connection some time ago. Eventually, I got back to the usb/serial since I resolved other problems and It was simpler for my configuration, but it worked fine. It required some modification to the code since I used a Wemos D1 Mini instead of a teensy...
Here you have the link to the post where I commented it:

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/topic/84259246#35803

Regards from Barcelona,

Jordi.

Mark Mahaffey

Thanks Chad and Jordi for your responses. I’m with Chad, I read the link but I’m still not sure how to proceed adding Ethernet to my On-Step WeMos R32 and the CNC V3 configuration. It appears from what I’ve read the W5500 Ethernet Shield V2.0 should work but I’m still not sure how/what is needed to configure On-Step to utilize Ethernet with the Smart Web Server for this configuration. Any additional input/help would be helpful.

Is Howard selling his little PCB adapter? I am not opposed to buying a couple of Teensy and doing the Ethernet this way. What version of Teensy is needed and does the same Smart Web Server software, without modifications, work/install on the Teensy?

Thanks,

Mark

Jordi Sese

Hi Chad,

I've had a look at the SWS code right now at Github and it seems that all changes we did at that time (in a experimental branch) are not there any more. At least I cannot see them in the current code. Persistent connection is not there any more, nor ESP8266 support, for W5500 ethernet. I'm sure Howard had a good reason to do that.

If you really want to follow that path you will have to modify the code yourself as I did. In that thread you had the clues on what to edit, but it is not straightforward, you should have some experience with these tools and libraries and understand what you are doing.

Regards,
Jordi.

Chad Gray

Hey Mark, as far as i know no one has the PCBs for sale.

I used a Teensy 4.0 as they are readily available, but expensive.

Chad

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 12:07 PM Mark Mahaffey <mahaffm@...> wrote:

Thanks Chad and Jordi for your responses. I’m with Chad, I read the link but I’m still not sure how to proceed adding Ethernet to my On-Step WeMos R32 and the CNC V3 configuration. It appears from what I’ve read the W5500 Ethernet Shield V2.0 should work but I’m still not sure how/what is needed to configure On-Step to utilize Ethernet with the Smart Web Server for this configuration. Any additional input/help would be helpful.

Is Howard selling his little PCB adapter? I am not opposed to buying a couple of Teensy and doing the Ethernet this way. What version of Teensy is needed and does the same Smart Web Server software, without modifications, work/install on the Teensy?

Thanks,

Mark

George Cushing

I have them for the D1-R32/Hujer controllers I'm building for sale. Someone in the group wants one, with or without parts, just contact me.

When the BluePill went away, there really was no kit that filled the price range under $40. I also got a number of folks pleading total lack of capability to assemble a kit. Guess that dads didn't let them borrow their 300A Weller soldering guns to assemble Heathkits. The D1-R32/Hujer looked like something that would go together quickly and meet this need. I also notice folks having a lot of questions and problems trying to push the envelope of the D1-R32/CNCv3 beyond a simple goto controller. For some it might be educational and fun, but others seemed to just be trying to deal with budget issues.

I felt that $27 would cover my costs, get me a little for my time and help those with a tight budget. Adding the ESP8266 node 1 for WiFi and a RTC I pushed the price to $35. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to assemble one, but I usually sit down and build 5 in stages. Then I check them before they are shipped.

Mark Mahaffey

Hi George,

Thank you for the information. Yes, I would like to purchase this kit, 3 kits. I have extra ESP8266 and DS3231 (RTC) modules and I assume these two modules are the ones you are referencing?  I am able to do the soldering work so supplying the kits with the necessary components is no problem for me to solder them in. I believe I have your email and if so I'll email you shortly to work out the details.

Thanks,
Mark

George Cushing

Roman used these modules, which are included.
image.png