any advice on GX12 aviator connectors

koal01

Hi Onstep members ! I intend to solder GX12 4 pin aviator connextors on a maxpcb2 for the AXIS 1 and 2. I prefer using them and already got them actually. On the wiki some panels are already avalaible to use round connectors so it would be quite easy to set them inside the box.
Those components are shown below but i'm still wondering what would be the best way, the smaller part goes inside the pcb and the longer part is designed for the cables and motors. I'm not sure if this model is a good choice or no ? Any advice or help ?
Thank you !

Patrizio Boschi

I use them and had no issues...

koal01

Thank you Patrizio ! so you've associated greeen connectors on the pcb with screws with short wires going to the internal gx12 part, Interesting !
I remember in another project i had issues with them, maybe i had bad cables but you seem satisfied with them so i save  this option !

Thanks

koal01

The green connectors you've soldered are 3,5 mm models, i thought at the beginning there were the 2,54 ones which seemed very thin for motors.
I've just noticed in Axis 1 and 2 the 2 holes designed for 4POS_SCREW_TERMINAL_3.5MM
Howard is alway thinking about everything !
Nice !

Mark Christensen

Kola (name?)

I've used them on multiple projects. My preferred mounting method is to solder a Molex 0.1 inch pitch header connector to the PCB. Then wire that to the receptacle (the smaller of the two on the right of your picture). The receptacle is then mounted to the panel of the case. This way no mechanical stress is transferred to the PCB in normal operation.

A note: These items, like a lot of other circular connectors, are not exactly circular - they have two flat spots (no threads) on them. So I drill the panel hole out under sized to the dimension of the flat spots. I then the file the circular part a bit larger, leaving the flat spots in the hole. That way the connector cannot rotate on its own. They do sell punches for these that have the correct profile but all the ones I've seen cost hundreds of USD.

Mark Christensen

koal01

Sorry the sentence is not clear :

« I then the file the circular part a bit larger, leaving the flat spots in the hole. »

Could you explain it a gain please ?

George Cushing

He means if you make the hole in the case to fit the size of the jack housing the "D" recess in the housing will have nothing to catch on and the housing will be free to rotate. So the hole has to be made under sized and opened up with a file except where the D recess will fit. The hole will end up looking like this:
image.png

koal01

Thank you gentlemen i see what you mean and the idea is nice !