Focuser not moving on ASCOM

Claudio Arena

Hello,
I am having a weird problem...
The focuser moves with the hand controller and the SWS.
But if connected with ASCOM, it doesn't move.
It does show the correct focuser motion, which updates if I move the focuser with the SWS.
But trying to move the focuser through ASCOM, nothing happens (no movement, no change in displayed position).

Any suggestion on what this might be?

Claudio.

hitosi sato

Hi Claudio

Your onstep or OnstepX seems to be unable to communicate with the ASCOM driver.
Can RA/DEC axes slew or guide via ASCOM drivers?
If possible, could you post a screenshot of the ASCOM driver focuser screen?
Also, if you can add config.h for onstep, someone more knowledgeable can answer.

What I can personally think of is the setting of the red range in the image below or specifying the com or IP address to connect to.

Hitoshi

Claudio Arena

I'm on OnStepX. I can move the telescope with ASCOM.
Do you usually set "error correction protocol" to on?

hitosi sato

Yes, I use the settings as shown in the image.
I may be wrong, but this is my impression of uninterrupted communication.
If the SWS is ESP8266, something might change if you increase the serial communication speed between OnStepX and SWS or turn DEBUG off.
The config and Extendconfig are important to get clues for this.

Hitoshi

Claudio Arena

Ok, I figured it out.
When I selected an IP address instead of a com port, I had the same problem. So not communication issue.
I checked the ASCOM trace logs. The issue is that the focuser is reported as "moving".

I have a weird configuration, where I did:
#define AXIS4_ACCELERATION_TIME       0 // in seconds, to selected rate. PROBLEM
#define AXIS4_RAPID_STOP_TIME         0 // in seconds, to stop
Removing this lines solves the issue of the focuser never reporting being done with moving, and ASCOM now works.

Is this expected behavior (acceleration and stop time should not be 0), or is this a bug?
I have desired and minimum rate for the focuser set to the same value, so this isn't an issue anyway.

hitosi sato

Edited

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 07:36 AM, Claudio Arena wrote:
I have a weird configuration
I've never used 0 for that part as the default.
If you are not unhappy with the focuser response at the default of 2 or 1 second then I would recommend using the default value.
0 may be some of the difficulties in passing data during communication.

Hitoshi

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 02:36 PM, Claudio Arena wrote:
Removing this lines solves the issue of the focuser never reporting being done with moving, and ASCOM now works.
I've constrained these times to >= 0.1 seconds which should prevent this issue.

GuitsBoy

Thanks for posting this.   I have an intermittent issue with my focuser with OnStep as well.  Same issue where the focuser hangs in a "moving" state.  It only happens occasionally, but I usually have to reboot the controller.  I'll have to look to see if similar code can be commented out or modified in the original OnStep code as well.