Showcase: Built With OnStep

George Cushing

I like DIN connectors, they last for years. The problem I've run into with those on the market now is that the plastic will not take much heat and the soldering is fussy and can take too long.

My solution is to pull pins from male headers and solder them to female sockets on the rear of the jack. Then I put Dupont crimp connectors on the conductors, slip them on and solder them in place on the pins. I use heat shrink to insulate the connectors. Using solder paste speeds things up so the plastic doesn't melt.

Scott Farndell

Here are the pics with v1 of the case.

Scott Farndell

I've just completed my Fysetc S6 build. Yet to mount on my scope, but since I couldn't find a case I designed one. I have a BMP and Neo7 GPS and it caters for a GPS off-switch to added so the board can enter DFU mode for flashing. Costs around $3.50 to print if you have a 3d printer, or a few beers if you have a mate with one. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4910408

Sam

First of all, thank you for everyone who helped me get through this. Countless times have I thought of giving up but thanks to your help i have persevered.

Thank you to Howard Dutton for the fantastic idea, Khalid for helping me get through some of my earlier questions, Dave and YviundAlex for helping me troubleshoot continuously for over 24 hours,and Nick Bramhall for the motor enclosures and idea for the mounting screws.Also to the countless others who answered my questions.

Vixen Great Polaris Equatorial Mount

MiniPCB v2 (Teensy 4.0)
16T/48T (140 Belt)
400 step 17HM15-0904S (rated 0.9A running both at 400mA)
FYSETC TMC5160
Motor Mounts 3D printed from Nick Bramhall
PCB Enclosure holder designed and 3D printed by me.

A couple of points:
1. From my last issue with the bursting fuses and Dec not working, I did a new board and all problems went away. (The driver was the problem).
2. i am not sure if this is usual but the Dec has some oscillating sound. I haven't noticed it now but first time I turned on the new board it sounded like so.
3. Is this it? Are there any further tunnings i need to do or settings to tweak? I haven't tested go-to accuracy yet due to weather but I am wondering if there are any further steps that i need to do once i have a working system already.

Thank you to the community for such a wonderful project and for all the help.
Clear skies!

Chris Schmidt

Here a case for an OnStep Wemos ESP R32 + CNCV3

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4881772

Thank you for the great tools and community.

oddvarness@...

After successfully converting my old EQ5 I used more or less the same method for converting an old Bresser Mon-1 as shown in this post: https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/message/33895

(untested for photography due to summertime in Norway)

-Oddvar

Chip Louie

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 04:54 AM, Roman Hujer wrote:

Hi

Introducing my new OnStep ESP32 mini controller.

Key properties: * The PCB has the same dimensions as the MiniPCB2 * Big USB B port * Bluetooth * Wi-Fi * Internal real time clock and PPS with battery backup * Port for polar scope illuminator * DSLR timer or OneWire bus

Wiring diagram and PCB are on EasyEDA. PCBs are designed in two versions. For full SMD assembly or ​for classic axial resistors and ceramic capacitor.

Pinmaps is based on MaxESP3 but requires the following minor modifications:

#define Aux7             36  // 36 is internal DS3132 PPS or 39 external (GPS) PPS
#define OneWirePin       15  // OneWire bus or Camera timmer
#define ReticlePin       19  // Polar scope iluminator
#define TonePin          2   // Tone

// PEC  Optional - not tested
#define PecPin              39
#define AnalogPecPin        A3   // PEC Sense, analog or digital (GPIO39)

3D models of the casse are available on the thingiverse

Roman

 Roman,

Could you please post the STEP files for the case and your stepper mounts on Thingiverse. STLs are not easy to edit precisely.  Thanks!

--

Chip Louie, Chief Daydreamer Imagination Hardware

Khalid Baheyeldin

Ken,

This, and a few other points can go into a "Quick Start" type document that gives the totally new user a head start with links to more detailed discussions on each point.

We discussed this document a while back with Drew. Can't remember if this was on the main group or the developers group.

Ken Hunter

Hello Khalid...

An idea for the show case wiki for you to consider...

In the intro it might be nice to include:
OnStep uses mostly off-the-shelf components such as 3D printer boards and MCU Development modules of various different types for the different builds each having different capabilities as needed and that for the most part it can be a simple project.

Or something similar...

Regards,

Ken

Roman Hujer

[...]

Thanks for sharing.
I added it to the showcase page.

Jesco Topp

Hi.

I motorized my alt/az mount with OnStep. It’s a rebranded SkyTee2 mount, sold in Germany as the Omegon TwinMaster AZ. From what I can tell it’s an EQ5 underneath, just in alt/az configuration.

It’s above manual mount and carries my C8 easily. The maximum load capacity is stated differently. It ranges from 10-18kg, with the latter being unrealistic in my opinion.

It has 144 teeth wormwheels on both axis and slow-motion controls that allow pulleys to be added easily. The motors can be attached to the wormgear housing using standard NEMA17 brackets. You need to replace the housing screws with longer screws to account for the thickness of the bracket. This is critical because the metal threading is quite soft and you risk to rip it out if your screw is too short. The altitude bracket needs some figuring with a metal saw before you can attach it because the altitude housing is slightly different - sounds awful but is really easy.

The mechanical details:

  • NEMA17 1.5A 200 steps (probably not the best choice, I am aware, 0.9A 400 steps would have been better)
  • 3:1 reduction (16 & 48 teeth GT2 pulleys, needing 164 & 166 teeth belts for azimuth and altitude)

Electrical details:

  • MKS Gen L 2.0 board
  • TMC2130 drivers from Watterott (32 microsteps for tracking, 8 microsteps for slewing, IRUN 1100 mA, IGOTO 1200 mA)
  • Base slew rate 1 degree/ second
  • Wemos D1 Mini for WiFi
  • OnStep 3.16

Controlled from my iPhone with the browser and SkySafari. The board is mounted in a plastic box. I added a DC5521 power connector. The motors I still attach with Molex connectors.

This gives me 7680 steps per degree. I know this is below the recommended 12800 for DSO imaging, but I mostly do visual and planetary/lunar imaging. So it’s fine, I think.

I had the setup under the sky once and it worked nicely. I had some troubles aligning at first, but got it working after a few tries. GoTos were accurate, not perfect but good enough. Tracking was excellent for visual. I tried my ASI224MC for some live stacking and could do 5s exposure which had good stars and low FWHM, up to 20s were also reasonable round but FWHM went up. I had to lower the tracking rate by 0.02 Hz.

So all in all, I am very happy. There’s lots to improve from an build point of view. But most will have to wait until I get a 3D printer.

Cheers,

Jesco

bill prewitt

I just got minipcb2 & SHC working on my 20 inch Dob mount.
It uses a pair of Nema 17 3D printer steppers (2.3 Ohm coils) with TMC2130 drivers.
The mount uses 240 tooth HDPE worms driving rollers (conical roller for azimuth).
It's dead quiet while tracking and has a nice high-tech whine while slewing.

I originally built the mount 20 years ago with the Mel Bartels DOS PC-based drive, so OnStep eliminates a few cubic feet of electronics.
Great design and beautiful code.
   Bill Prewitt

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 06:16 PM, Roman Hujer wrote:
SHC ESP32 PCB modification for classic axial resistors
This is a good idea, since it makes sourcing parts easier for many.
It also makes putting kits together, for those who want to sell them, easier too.

Roman Hujer

My OnStep SHC ESP32 PCB modification for classic axial resistors is on EasyEDA

Roman

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 07:17 PM, Leo Barnard wrote:
Though, I am thinking of trying a geared head ... still undecided.
Pulleys have an advantage over gears: lower backlash.
If what you have works, then at least make sure you can go back to it
if you test the new thing and find that it is worse.

Current project is to wire in a Hall sensor to work off the RA worm to activate PEC
As others, including myself, have found out, if you plan to autoguide, then don't bother
with a PEC sensor, nor recording PEC at all. Autoguiding takes care of it in many cases.

Leo Barnard

Yep, Noiser slews and the conversion was to pulleys. (16 teeth:32 teeth). Though, I am thinking of trying a geared head ... still undecided.  Current project is to wire in a Hall sensor to work off the RA worm to activate PEC and setup the reticle for the polar scope which is original with the Ioptron mount. After that I plan to add a digital polar CCD scope.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Thanks
It is now in the showcase.

Some comments below:

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 06:54 PM, Leo Barnard wrote:
The current drivers are LV8729's but I started with 4998's.  Next iteration is going to be with the THB6128's as used in the original Ioptron electronics.
The LV8729 are very accurate. So why change to something else, where it would not give much of an advantage?

Thie drivers are set currently for 128 microsteps but 32, 64 both work. Just rougher slews.
You mean less noise at 128 than 32? If so, I agree.
But if you mean more accurate, I don't know if the difference would be so marked as to see in slewing.

The motors are the original Ioptron NEMA-11 steppers (JKong Motor JK28H528-0804).
Are these geared, or you used pulleys?

Nice to see NEMA11 motors carrying a 12" SCT (though its weight cut down by the new frame).

Leo Barnard

Khalid,
The current drivers are LV8729's but I started with 4998's.  Next iteration is going to be with the THB6128's as used in the original Ioptron electronics.
Thie drivers are set currently for 128 microsteps but 32, 64 both work. Just rougher slews.  The motors are the original Ioptron NEMA-11 steppers (JKong Motor JK28H528-0804).
I should note for you that the mount is an original Ioptron IEQ30 which I upgraded three years ago to the IEQ30Pro using the Ioptron upgrade kit.  This entailed replacing the original analog motors and controller boards with these current steppers and new driver boards.  Unfortunately, the supercaps that Ioptron chose for the backup power failed and destroyed the vias in the upgrade PCB's so the mount electronics failed last year.
I've spent a year trying to get anyone at Ioptron to acknowledge the problem ... No Joy.
The OnStep project has saved a mechanically sound mount which carries the 12" easily.
Through Asttromart I was able to acquire the 12" optics about 11 years ago and built the frame myself using 80/20 aluminum extrusions and accessories.  Full OTA weight is about 24 lbs, down from the original Meade OTA weight of 57.5 lbs.  The frame design is a variation of "String Telescope" for which Google has many examples.

Regards,
Leo
P.s. I send some more Pics when the Wx clears. Lb.

On Nov 15, 2020, at 3:05 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:

Can you please tell us more?
What drivers?
What microstepping?
What motors?

Also, not OnStep specific,but interesting to many here: details on the tensegrity frame.

Khalid Baheyeldin