Topics

Advise Please

redpiperbob

Hi all
This is my first post on here so I hope I am doing it right.
I have just recieved my 'stmbluepillkits' for the OnStep can someone give me an idea of which drivers to get for the kit.
And are there any pitfalls I should watch out for. while  building the kit, and converting my Celestron  Type CG-3 equatorial mount.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Howard Dutton

While some users have had success with low-end mounts this is pushing the limits and I must recommend against converting it to goto.

We "draw the line" at EQ5 class mounts, as the recommended minimum, for converting to goto.

redpiperbob

Thanks for that Horward
I guess it will be a new (second hand) mount then. Any sugestions
Thanks
Bob

Howard Dutton

Try the usual suspects...  eBay, Craigslist, Astromart, Cloudynights classifieds.

Graeme

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but I was contemplating converting my Skywatcher eq3-2 to goto also. Funds don't allow for an eq5 currently but if I were to get one in the future could I transfer the whole kit from the 3-2 and put it on the 5? I'm guessing I'd just need to change pulley wheel size and belts and change some of the settings in the software?

Howard Dutton

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 08:55 AM, <grmwebb70@...> wrote:
Funds don't allow for an eq5 currently but if I were to get one in the future could I transfer the whole kit from the 3-2 and put it on the 5? I'm guessing I'd just need to change pulley wheel size and belts and change some of the settings in the software?
Yep.

Graeme

Great.

Thank you.

Howard Dutton

Note that an EQ3-2 (more or less a CG4) is a step up from the CG3.

Graeme

Ah, thought they were basically the same. Thanks for the clarification.

Khalid Baheyeldin

They are not.
We had one member who had a CG4, and took the motors from it and put it on a CG5.

So, if you have a CG4 type of mount, you can start with that, knowing that it is not a big job to upgrade when you find a used mount at a good price.

Graeme

That was going to be my plan. I don't have deep pockets (wrong hobby I guess!) and thought investing in this now would allow me to learn how to use it before getting a better mount further down the road and just swapping it over when I do.

Thank you all for the help.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 02:02 PM, <grmwebb70@...> wrote:
I don't have deep pockets (wrong hobby I guess!)
Doesn't have to be.

What I do is to:
- Use what I already have
- When I exhaust its capabilities, think about upgrading
- Check alternatives
- Buy used
- Keep an eye on bargains
- Take your time

What I find insurmountable is
- cloudy weather limiting clear nights with no moon
- light pollution increasing steadily (I am no fan of packing up and going off site)

Graeme

This is precisely what I'm trying to do.
Everything I have is 2nd hand and I know from forums what my mount and OTA are capable of when used correctly.
That is my target, to achieve what is possible and learn and have fun along the way.
I check most days on sites and forums for items which I consider to be the next step (eq5 for instance)
The Onstep upgrade seems an obvious choice for me, especially as I now know it could be switched to another mount for a minimum of expense.
At almost 50 I'm really enjoying learning something completely new to me and although the learning curve is steep the helpfulness of groups, forums and people such as yourself has made me delve a little deeper and made it enjoyable, if not a little frustrating at times. :-)

And yes, clouds (getting about 1 clear night a month) and light pollution (am surrounded by street lamps) don't help!!

Once again, thanks for the suggestions.

George Cushing

Nope.

For whatever reason Celestron mount numbers are out of sync with the world. The CG-3 is everyone else's EQ-3 and the CG-4 is similar to the EQ-3.

redpiperbob

Edited

Can someone tell me why a Celestron  Type CG-3 equatorial mount is not recommended to be converted.
is it that it is too light and no bearings .

George did you get my email?

Thanks Bob

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 10:03 AM, redpiperbob wrote:
Can someone tell me why a Celestron  Type CG-3 equatorial mount is not recommended to be converted.
is it that it is too light and no bearings .
Yes, and yes.
Also it lacks sufficient precision, and cannot take the weight of a full scope with autoguiding, ...etc.
There is also no room to attach a DEC motor.

Better focus your effort in a CG4 or even better, a CG5.

redpiperbob

thanks Khalid
I am just starting in Astronomy and have had the Celestron for a year but I would like to get hold of a better scope and mount.
Thanks
Bob

George Cushing

Actually, a 130mm f/5 Newt is not a bad pace to start. I keep a a Vixen RS130sf around for a light weight rich field scope. I put a better focuser on it, but otherwise the optics are stock. A medium weight Alt/Az is a good match for it. The Astromaster EQ-2 is a bit light. Your problem is that about all there is across the pond are in that class Bresser IEXOS-100s and SkyWatcher EQ-3-2 that are worth converting. You don't have the large used market that we have in the U.S.

I'd go ahead and assemble your kit and use the RA tracking features until you come across a more capable mount. Then you can move most of your parts to the new mount.

redpiperbob

Thanks for that George. Yes I think that is what I will do.
Until I can afford to buy a new EQ5 or similar.
Thanks
Bob