Topics

Almost there, some minor issues, and feature

Frans Lowiessen

Hello all,

First of all i want to thank Haward Kalid and all other who made it possible for to build the Onstep STM32 v1.7
I gained a lot of knowledge over Arduino, stepper controler en astronomy by building this

99% is now working fine just some minor things i can not get to work or i do not undestand

- Why isThat if i switch on the STM control board without SHC is start tracking at a high speed if i plug in the SHC is start tracking at normal speed
- Why does it start traking if I power on the the STM controller. is this normal ?
- Can i have the cotroller get started in a parking mode
- With onstep Android app i am not able to set the time and date
- How can i use the SHC to centre(slew) the object  i can do with the android App but the SHC does not allow me with a message slew is cancled

Probaly i made some mistakes or do not have enough knowledge but can one of you help me

an other feature request can i use a GPS to set location and date and time, or maybe add this to tjhe STM32 board ?
I am running the 3.16 release

Cheers Frans Lowiessen (PE0F)

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 01:30 PM, Frans Lowiessen wrote:
- Why isThat if i switch on the STM control board without SHC is start tracking at a high speed if i plug in the SHC is start tracking at normal speed
Do you have the resistor network installed in the STM32 controller?
Did you use ST4_INTERFACE ON_PULLUP and not just ON?

- Why does it start traking if I power on the the STM controller. is this normal ?
No. The default behaviour is not to have the motors moving at all when powering up.
Unless you have the TRACK_AUTOSTART option set to ON.

- Can i have the cotroller get started in a parking mode
Yes. You need to first set a parking position, and remember to park before every shutdown.

Details here

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/5650

- With onstep Android app i am not able to set the time and date
Do you get an error message?

- How can i use the SHC to centre(slew) the object  i can do with the android App but the SHC does not allow me with a message slew is cancled

an other feature request can i use a GPS to set location and date and time, or maybe add this to tjhe STM32 board ?
I am running the 3.16 release
I don't know of anyone who tried this. To do this, we need a spare serial port, which the STM32 does not have.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 04:18 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
- With onstep Android app i am not able to set the time and date
Do you get an error message?
I tried that on my STM32 Blue Pill.
Press Initialize/Park, then Set Date/Time.
I get back a message on the date/time that was set.

No problems.

Frans Lowiessen

Hello Khalid,

Thanks for your prompt answer
Yes the pullup resitors are fitted on the STM32 Board

  // *** It is up to you to verify the interface meets the electrical specifications of any connected device, use at your own risk ***
  #define ST4_INTERFACE OFF // OFF, ON, ON_PULLUP enables interface. <= 1X guides unless hand control mode. Option
  // During goto btn press: aborts slew or continue meridian flip pause home
  #define ST4_HAND_CONTROL ON // OFF, ON for hand controller special features and SHC support. Option
  // Hold [E]+[W] btns >2s: Guide rate [E]- [W]+ [N] trk on/off [S] sync
  // Hold [N]+[S] btns >2s: Usr cat item [E]- [W]+ [N] goto [S] snd on/off
  #define ST4_HAND_CONTROL_FOCUSER OFF // OFF, ON alternate to above: Focuser move [E]f1 [W]f2 [N]- [S]+ Option

This how  i set the config.h for the ST4, i might have done something wrong here ;-)

On the parking i will try tonight, and let you know the outcome
And the date and time set i will try to set it when it is parked, and if iget an error i will let you know

So the GPS is not possible ? or could add a serial port in some way ?

Cheers Frans

Frans Lowiessen

Hi Khalid,

Indeed when it is parked i can set time and date
Now you told i seems also logical to set time and date once it is parked and not when it is tracking

Cheers Frans

Frans Lowiessen

Hello Khalid

This what i see when powerig up
As far as i can understand i have set not to start whith tracking if power is applied
But what happens it power its starts tracking when i park it stops

I have added my config.h
Would it be an idea to put a GPS in the SHC? there are 2 serial port on the st32?
I would nog be cable of prgmamming it but just an idea ;-)

Cheers Frans

Khalid Baheyeldin

You must have this in Config.h

#define ST4_INTERFACE ON_PULLUP

This is required for the STM32 Blue Pill.
And you must have the resistor network soldered on the PCB.

Khalid Baheyeldin

How long is the cable from the SHC to the STM32?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 04:19 AM, Frans Lowiessen wrote:

// *** It is up to you to verify the interface meets the electrical specifications of any connected device, use at your own risk ***
#define ST4_INTERFACE OFF // OFF, ON, ON_PULLUP enables interface. <= 1X guides unless hand control mode. Option
The above is OFF, but in your Config.h it is ON_PULLUP as it should be.

You have the network resistor soldered.
Please verify that you have the square mark on the GND pin.

The only remaining thing is the cable then. How long is it?

Frans Lowiessen

Hello

the cable is about 2.2 meter
what do mean by the square mark on the GND pin ?

Frans

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 04:39 PM, Frans Lowiessen wrote:
Hello

the cable is about 2.2 meter
That may be too long, and introducing noise.
I think a couple of people reported issues that turned out to be their cable being too long.

what do mean by the square mark on the GND pin ?
I mean the resistor network must be soldered properly. There is a marking on it with a square
sign, and it should be towards the proper hole as per the instructions.

Frans Lowiessen

I have cut the cable in 2

pin one of resistor network on the SHC is in the square mark
Pin one of the resistor network on the STM board is on the side of J3

Frans Lowiessen

need both resistor networks to be installed ?

the cable in now 1.1 m, but still no sucess

Frans

Howard Dutton

What OnStep version are you using?

Frans Lowiessen

3.16

Frans Lowiessen

What bugs me is

Need both resistor network be soldered in so on the SHC and the Main STM32 Board ?
Why is it telling me "slew traget Canceled!" i press the n s e w or jog button ?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 05:35 PM, Frans Lowiessen wrote:
Need both resistor network be soldered in so on the SHC and the Main STM32 Board ?
Yes.
The one in the STM32 PCB is for the N/S/W/E lines, and to prevent noise on them.
The one in the SHC is for the buttons, for the same reason.

Why is it telling me "slew traget Canceled!" i press the n s e w or jog button ?
What is happening is that the SHC, or its cable, is having some noise on the line, and when OnStep is slewing, it interprets this noise as a button that was pressed, and aborts the slew.

Frans Lowiessen

Ok for now, I am of to Bed

I will do some measuremnet tommorow with a scope to see the noise
maybe ad some coils capicitors or resistors to eliminate the noise ?

many thanks Khalid and Howard for your help is much apprciated

Would it be of any help to upgrade from 3.16 to the master branch ?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 06:02 PM, Frans Lowiessen wrote:
maybe ad some coils capicitors or resistors to eliminate the noise ?
I am not experienced in electronics, so someone else will answer this.
But no one else needed to do this. Using a 1 meter straight cable and having the network resistors in both devices takes care of everything for everyone else.

Would it be of any help to upgrade from 3.16 to the master branch ?
No.
3.16 is the recommended version for normal use.

Howard Dutton

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 03:02 PM, Frans Lowiessen wrote:
I will do some measuremnet tommorow with a scope to see the noise
maybe ad some coils capicitors or resistors to eliminate the noise ?
It's not like the SHC design has any issues that need fixing.  It's used by lots of folks.  It works end of story.

If it's not working something is put together wrong or h/w is damaged.