Android App

dougthomas408-1@yahoo.com

Hello,

I use the Onstep app for Android along with Stellarium to control my mount. However, after an update to my phone, Stellarium no longer works with Onstep, as it does not recognize it anymore. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this? Or, are there any alternatives to Stellarium for controlling Onstep from an Android phone?

Things that I have tried: restarting all devices, reinstalling the Onstep app and Stellarium, re-pairing my Onstep mount with my phone, and searching the internet/Onstep messages for ideas.

Thank you for your time,
Doug

Bluetooth:
At some point I had similar issue: after phone firmware update, I couldn't connect to OnStep via bluetooth anymore, but unlike you, I couldn't connect neither OnStep app nor Stellarium+ but the issue was resolved after deleting bluetooth device and pairing again on android phone. But I never could use two apps at the same time. The way I used this is connect OnStep app first, conduct initial setup and alignment, then disconnect OnStep App and connect Stellarium+ afterwards. Whichever app connect first (usually OnStep App), it locks bluetooth serial resource and other apps can't use it.

WiFi (if you have SWS):
There are two different telnet command channels on two different ports, both enabled by default:
9999/tcp - Asynchronous, allow multiple simultaneous connections, usually used for connecting OnStep App and/or wSHC and/or ASCOM/INDI driver on PC, etc, but Stellarium+ is not working with this, since it require persistant connection.
9996 to 9998/tcp - Persistent, allow single connection per port only and meant to be used for Stellarium+. When Stellarium connects to one of these ports, no other client apps can be connected to same port. For example, if you connect OnStep App to 9998 port for some reason, Stellarium won't be able to connect to the same port (9998).

Great, although not cheap alternative to Stellarium+ is SkySafari Pro.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Edited

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 10:31 AM, Vladimir wrote:
But I never could use two apps at the same time
Bluetooth classic is the problem here, it allows only one connection at a time.

Great, although not cheap alternative to Stellarium+ is SkySafari Pro.
SkySafari plus allows telescope control and is much cheaper.

IMPO, Sky Safari 6 Pro is better then SkySafary 7 Plus and it is even more cheaper. Both Plus and Pro can control the telescope, but Pro versions have ton of other useful features. I didn't tried yet version 7... Version 6 works just fine.

dougthomas408-1@yahoo.com

Thanks, for the responses. I already have Sky Safari 6, but moving to Sky Safari 7 ended up working for me.