Bluepill connecting

Peter Abbey

Help please,
I have completed the build of the Onstep bluebell kit and SHC, but am having trouble getting the firmware to load.

We managed to get the up load the firmware for the Wifi module. ( removed from main board and connected to computer, Macbook air running High Sierra)

We have tried connecting both the SHC and the main Onstep directly by USB the same as we did for the Wifi module, but it won’t show up as mounted. We are getting a little red light on the USB connection on either devise but that’s all.

I thought I had built everything correctly, but it’s not working.

Peter

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 06:37 PM, Peter Abbey wrote:
We have tried connecting both the SHC and the main Onstep directly by USB the same as we did for the Wifi module, but it won’t show up as mounted. We are getting a little red light on the USB connection on either devise but that’s all.
You cannot flash the STM32 module from the microUSB on the module itself.
You MUST flash it through the CP2102 module on the PCB.
And there must be power applied, and the Flash/Run switch has to be on Flash.

Read the Wiki page carefully again, and follow the instructions.

Peter Abbey

Sorry, I wasn’t clear i didn’t use the micro usb on the module, I connected it through the CP2102 and I did power it with an 18 volt  power supply via the DC-Dc converter, and I had the flash switch in the flash position.

On 23 Nov 2021, at 10:39 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 06:37 PM, Peter Abbey wrote:
We have tried connecting both the SHC and the main Onstep directly by USB the same as we did for the Wifi module, but it won’t show up as mounted. We are getting a little red light on the USB connection on either devise but that’s all.
You cannot flash the STM32 module from the microUSB on the module itself.
You MUST flash it through the CP2102 module on the PCB.
And there must be power applied, and the Flash/Run switch has to be on Flash.

Read the Wiki page carefully again, and follow the instructions.

kevin_kevin_kevin@...

Hi,
i hacve just started with a bluepill verson, 2 nights ago so new to me as well.
firstly i had to get the bits togeather in the arduino ide. there are 2 diiferent versions in the wiki depending which software you have. i had "OnStep 4.x and Later" so i did that.
there are some test files in the files section-https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/files/Utilities%20for%20STM32
i tried to load the blinkey but got an error about the loader  not being there.

Please install it or add <STM32CubeProgrammer path>\bin' to your PATH environment:

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeprog.html
found a reference to it in the thread firn july "
Help with flashing STM32 Blue Pill PCB"
i had to give an email address to get the stmloader from the link but that ran fine.
i could then load the blinky so i knew i had things set.  i had to load it then power off change the jumper and i also unpluuged and replugged the usb ( read somwher it helped rest somthing). i also changed the blink patter to check i could edit files .

i then loaded the 64k tester and that worked
loaded 128k tester that worked.
now waiting to get my clockchip connected so i can load and check onstep.
PS , still can't find the bit in groups.io wer i seem to keep changing text size accedently.

kevin_kevin_kevin@...

Hi.
 forgot to add. I don't understand about the "but it won’t show up as mounted". I am using the arduino IDE are you? i didn't get anything when i plugged it in, but then i don't think i do for any arduino board.  i usually thing of the term "mounted" for external disc drives.

kevin_kevin_kevin@...

if you just use the onstep  blinky test prog it should end up saying

Erasing memory corresponding to segment 0:
Erasing internal memory sectors [0 10]
Download in Progress:

File download complete
Time elapsed during download operation: 00:00:01.604

RUNNING Program ...
  Address:      : 0x8000000
Start operation achieved successfully

there is normally a power led ( red on mine)  on the bluepill and you should get a second LED ( blue on mine)  on for a bit then blink 5 times. this is still with the jumper in prog position bur reset wo'nt make it run again.
power off ( in my case the usb provides the power at the moment) move the jumper back to run position and prog will run on power on or when reset button is pressed.

in the case of the memory test nothing will happen at the end of programing.
power off change jumper power on and open the Arduino IDE serial monitor. Note the prog by default is 9600 baud and you can't open the serial monitor until the IDE has found your serial port. So, if like me, you power the test board from the serial adapter, it may have finished by the ime you can get the serial monitor open. thus not seeing the message. a press of the rerset should after a short time give you for the 64k test
Checking across 40000 bytes of memory...
Success