Topics

BME280 weather data

Lloyd Simons

I have connected both the BME280 and D1 Mini to my Wemos/CNC3 and both are working as expected. I can access the website and see the values for temp, press and humidity. Is there any way to send this data to an ASCOM weather hub or the ASCOM switch? I was hoping to have access to this data in NINA. Also, i cannot connect to the new switch driver. It always times out and says it cannot find onstep (4.17k, driver 1.08).

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 07:45 AM, Lloyd Simons wrote:
I have connected both the BME280 and D1 Mini to my Wemos/CNC3 and both are working as expected. I can access the website and see the values for temp, press and humidity. Is there any way to send this data to an ASCOM weather hub or the ASCOM switch?  I was hoping to have access to this data in NINA.
I've thought about it but not getting into that at the moment.

Also, i cannot connect to the new switch driver. It always times out and says it cannot find onstep (4.17k, driver 1.08).
With more background info. perhaps I could take a guess at the trouble.

Latest (4.18e, ASCOM 1.0.9, NINA) still works here:

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 01:19 PM, Howard Dutton wrote:
On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 07:45 AM, Lloyd Simons wrote:
I have connected both the BME280 and D1 Mini to my Wemos/CNC3 and both are working as expected. I can access the website and see the values for temp, press and humidity. Is there any way to send this data to an ASCOM weather hub or the ASCOM switch?  I was hoping to have access to this data in NINA.
I've thought about it but not getting into that at the moment.
... want to focus on getting the bugs out of these new ASCOM drivers first.

Jay Murphy

I was actually just wondering this too. What is the best way to get this data out of the Onstep controller so I can use it to control my focuser without having to get another weather sensor

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 01:20 PM, Jay Murphy wrote:
I was actually just wondering this too. What is the best way to get this data out of the Onstep controller so I can use it to control my focuser without having to get another weather sensor
The OnStep focuser has temperature compensation built-in.
The OnStep ASCOM focuser driver can set that up (and return the telescope temperature.)

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 01:22 PM, Howard Dutton wrote:
On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 01:20 PM, Jay Murphy wrote:
I was actually just wondering this too. What is the best way to get this data out of the Onstep controller so I can use it to control my focuser without having to get another weather sensor
The OnStep focuser has temperature compensation built-in.
The OnStep ASCOM focuser driver can set that up (and return the telescope temperature.)
Note that the focuser (telescope) temperature comes from a DS18B20... if that isn't present it falls back to the "weather" temperature... which gets its data from a BME280 usually... if that isn't present, it's possible to send the temperature to OnStep via commands and have it work, but no-one does that probably.

Lloyd Simons

want to focus on getting the bugs out of these new ASCOM drivers first.
Fair enough. I'll try to get you more info later this evening about the switch connect fail.

Howard Dutton

Ok.

In the meantime... OnStep focuser in NINA:

Lloyd Simons

This is what I see when I try to connect to the Switch:

The first one I commonly see when I try my first connection with the telescope driver. It usually connects on the second try. But every subsequent time I try to connect to switch I see the second error. I also noticed there is no blank in the Port drop down. Don't know if that matters. All the others have 3 selections, a blank, COM3 and IP address. I have tried both Enable DTR and Error correction with no change. Telescope and focuser work great now that I have my equipment connected properly. I have no rotator so I haven't tried it. OnStep 4.17k, Driver 1.08, Win10 1903. NINA 1.10 HF1. Do i need a feature enabled in config.h? If so that is the issue.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 02:35 PM, Lloyd Simons wrote:
The first one I commonly see when I try my first connection with the telescope driver. It usually connects on the second try.
If already connected elsewhere there is not new connection, it uses the existing one (for example Telescope first then Switch uses that same com port Telescope reserved etc.)  In this case that (first error message) shouldn't happen.  In drivers 1.0.10 I attempt to detect "On-Step" three times not two.  In drivers 1.0.9 I added a 3 second delay if DTR is enabled to allow OnStep to boot up if it was reset.  Hopefully that will take care of the first connection trouble, fingers crossed.

But every subsequent time I try to connect to switch I see the second error.
An error when trying the get the aux feature list from OnStep.  "Normal" except should be trapped.

I also noticed there is no blank in the Port drop down.
I reversed two lines of code.

Don't know if that matters. All the others have 3 selections, a blank, COM3 and IP address.
Should be fixed in 1.0.10.

I have tried both Enable DTR and Error correction with no change. Telescope and focuser work great now that I have my equipment connected properly.
Good.

I have no rotator so I haven't tried it.
Rotator appears to be working correctly.  Informs user properly if no rotator is present.

OnStep 4.17k, Driver 1.08, Win10 1903. NINA 1.10 HF1.
Ok.

Do i need a feature enabled in config.h? If so that is the issue.
Yes, you do.  That was the reason for the second error which should be a more informative message and drivers 1.0.10 do that now in my testing.

Lloyd Simons

Thanks for the update. I updated to 4.18h and 1.11. Now I see this which looks like expected behavior. It now shows Onstep version in the "Currently Connected to:" box.

Now I just need a clear night for a proper test.