Topics

Boards and drivers required - help

gvpaddy@...

Hello,

I am in the process of constructing an equatorial mount with tracking/go-to using Onstep. I have gone for Nema17 0.9 deg bipolar stepper for RA and Dec - https://robu.in/product/nema17-4-4-kg-cm-stepper-motor/. It says for current 1.68 A /Phase in the spec.

1. For stepper driver I am looking for one of the TMC drivers - 2130/5160. I see TMC2130 has a current of 1.2A (or 1.4) and TMC5160 has current of 2.8A. Should I go for 5160 or is 2130 enough for the above Nema stepper ?
2. For the main board I am looking for MKS Gen L. I am confused whether I should buy both MKS Gen L and RAMPS 1.4 or MKS Gen L is enough. Or does this depend on which version of MKS Gen L (say 1.4 vs 2.0) I go for ?

Please help advise.

Thanks and Regards,
Paddy.

Markus Kempf

I have a Mksgenl v1 with 2130 and almost the same motors and it works beautifully. But you need the 2130 v1.1 type with the spi pins upward and you have to do some additional cabling. Why not buy a fysetc s6 with 5160 and you have a very capable system with room to grow. I did that upgrade just a few days ago...
You don’t need a Ramps board if you do not already own a mega2560.

Markus
Am 29. Juli 2020, 12:42 +0200 schrieb gvpaddy@...:

[...]

Thanks Markus.

I can't quickly get FYSETC . Aliexpress can take 6 weeks. But MKSGenl is available (in India, where I am).  I don't have a a mega2560.

So if I have to go through the route of MKS GenL, your guidance is I can use 2130 v1.1 stepper driver and I would not need RAMPS board ?

Regards,
Paddy..

Markus Kempf

yes, for a budget a MKSGenL with TMC2130 v11 would be the best and easiest to build choice.

Markus

Am 29/07/2020 um 14:29 schrieb gvpaddy@...:

Thanks Markus.

I can't quickly get FYSETC . Aliexpress can take 6 weeks. But MKSGenl is available (in India, where I am).  I don't have a a mega2560.

So if I have to go through the route of MKS GenL, your guidance is I can use 2130 v1.1 stepper driver and I would not need RAMPS board ?

Regards,
Paddy..

gvpaddy@...

Markus Kempf

no, not the same board.

Markus

Am 29/07/2020 um 14:58 schrieb gvpaddy@...:

gvpaddy@...

Ok.. I will probably then stick to the known MKS gen L and 2130 or 5160 drivers.

Thanks.

Khalid Baheyeldin

As Markus said: if you get the MKS Gen-L, you don't need the RAMPS board, since the MKS Gen-L has everything that is on RAMPS built in (driver sockets for motors, ...etc.)

Regarding the power, you never run the driver or the motor at the max rated current.
Usually, you start at 40% of the motor (so 0.675A), and then test, tuning it up to say 70% of the 1.68A as a maximum.
You find where the sweet spot in that 40 to 70 range, that gives you fast slewing with no resonance/stalling.

You don't need the TMC5160 for those motors. The TMC2130 should be able to handle them, but make sure you have the heat sinks installed and monitor for excessive warming.

gvpaddy@...

Thanks Khalid.

I have gone for 1.4 MKS Gen-L V1.0 and TMC2130 V1.1;  those were the ones available in India.

Aliexpress shipping charges from China were more than the actual product, for higher versions :-(

Regards,
Paddy.