Topics

Cannot connect Sky Planetarium to OnStep through ASCOM OnCue

BJ Ranson

I'm running OnStep 3.16 via Wifi connection on my Windows 10 laptop.

I just reinstalled the latest ASCOM platform (6.5) and OnStep drivers (2.0.4) today, and double checked the connection through the driver via ASCOM Diagnostics - everything looks ok and it connects.

Using the OnStep.OnCue "direct" ASCOM connection, PHD2 is able to connect and control OnStep without a hitch. However when I try to connect Sky Planetarium in this way, it says the connection failed after only a fraction of a second (note that I disconnected PHD2 first!)

If I try connecting via the ASCOM Device Hub, Sky Planetarium will connect, but it seems to have limited functionality this way (I'm actually trying to download the PEC recording data from last night - problems with that in a separate thread).

Any clues as to what's going on?

Howard Dutton

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 11:30 AM, BJ Ranson wrote:
I just reinstalled the latest ASCOM platform (6.5) and OnStep drivers (2.0.4) today, and double checked the connection through the driver via ASCOM Diagnostics - everything looks ok and it connects.
I'm using the same on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 here.

Using the OnStep.OnCue "direct" ASCOM connection, PHD2 is able to connect and control OnStep without a hitch. However when I try to connect Sky Planetarium in this way, it says the connection failed after only a fraction of a second (note that I disconnected PHD2 first!)
No idea why this would be, but I have a two ideas...
1. Look at the log in SP to see if anything helpful is there after attempting to connect.
2. Make sure error correction protocol is checked in the ASCOM driver (improves latency.)

If I try connecting via the ASCOM Device Hub, Sky Planetarium will connect, but it seems to have limited functionality this way (I'm actually trying to download the PEC recording data from last night - problems with that in a separate thread).
Yes, the new ASCOM "device hub" doesn't expose certain functionality, so SP can't really talk to OnStep.  The "POTH hub" and "generic hub" work for me fine still.

BJ Ranson

Thanks Howard.

I tried enabling error correction protocol, but no change in result. I've attached a screenshot show driver config and SP log file (wasn't sure how to read it, whether it was descending or ascending in date order), but I couldn't see anything that yielded a clue.

Howard Dutton

Doesn't tell me much except SP couldn't get the ASCOM driver to connect.  But do make sure that hub isn't still running in the background tying up my ASCOM driver so SP can't get to it.

At any rate I made an update to Sky Planetarium so it can (depending on what's really going on) add more error info. to the log on these failed telescope connection attempts. This may or may not be helpful, I really can't tell at this point...

http://www.stellarjourney.com/index.php?r=site/software_sky

BJ Ranson

Installed 4.5.4, rebooted PC, and no new data. I just get this:
00047878:[Ascom.Telescope] Connect failed

I will try a different PC next to see if it's just something weird installed on the one I'm using (the Windows 10 installation is many years old).

Howard Dutton

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:51 AM, BJ Ranson wrote:
Installed 4.5.4, rebooted PC, and no new data. I just get this:
00047878:[Ascom.Telescope] Connect failed

I will try a different PC next to see if it's just something weird installed on the one I'm using (the Windows 10 installation is many years old).
I will update the ASCOM driver probably also to pass more exceptions through to see if we can pick up on what is causing the trouble or at least narrow down the possibilities more.

For now I'd like to remind there are 3x ASCOM hubs on my computer...

POTH hub
(works with SP all features.)
Generic hub (works with SP all features.)
Device hub telescope (works with SP, but limited features.)

Perhaps one of those others could be a work-around for your problem?

BJ Ranson

I tried POTH and Generic hubs and they failed to connect to OnStep via the usual IP connection.

I'm beginning to think that the issue is with the PC's Windows installation, and I'm considering doing a clean install of the OS to flush out whatever corruption maybe there. Unfortunately my attempt to install ASCOM platform on my other PC also failed due to some obscure error when attempting .NET Framework 3.5. It's not really my week...

Howard Dutton

A pain in the neck, but you could try an un-install then re-install of ASCOM...

If that worked it wouldn't be the first time doing so fixed an ASCOM problem.

BJ Ranson

I had earlier tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the ASCOM platform and driver.

Anyway, my suspicion that there was some kind of corrupted state in the Windows 10 installation turned out to be true, as I performed a full reset of the OS, and after reinstalling all needed components, I was able to get Sky Planetarium to connect to OnStep via the ASCOM Generic Hub. I was also able to connect using the USB->COM port for the first time, instead of over IP, which is good news as I want to control the PC via Remote Desktop from the comfort of my warm office instead of freezing to death come the autumn.

So it was a rather drastic fix, which probably didn't help you in terms of diagnosing connection errors, but it's a story to add, in terms of some peculiar and rather non-specific corruption occurring within the OS causing issues.

Thanks again for your help.

Howard Dutton

Glad that did the trick and it's good to know Windows had its wires crossed somewhere.