Cannot connect to wifi and no Bluetooth on my first build. #esp32 #wifi #maxesp3

Nugs

Hi all. I've built the MaxESP3 kit from George Cushing - ESP32, ESP8266 and a couple of 2130's for my EQ-5.

I've gone through all the configurations time and time again, had a dozen tabs open figuring out the firmware side of it all and finally managed to get the thing flashed.

I flashed the ESP8266 with SWS using "LOLIN (WEMOS) D1 R2 & mini" default settings (whilst detached).
I flashed the ESP32 with Onstep including the boards, libraries & config.

On powering up, the D1 mini's blue light flashes, then stays solid after a few seconds. The "Nodemcu ESP32S" has one red LED that stays solid.
Using two phones I tried to connect with Bluetooth - There's nothing to connect to.
The "Onstep" wifi option is there, but whilst it tries to connect, it then immediately disconnects. Also "onstep" disappears from the wifi list and reappears regularly. The phone is right next to it.

I can't really progress until I manage to connect, so can somebody tell me in what way I was a blithering idiot please? It took me a few nights to decide on how to do the above set up.

Thanks for reading, hope somebody can help.

Nugs

I should have added more info. about the Arduino IDE setup that I uploaded with.

The first Arduino option in the board manager was already installed.
I added "ESP32 by Espressif Systems" ver' 1.0.4
Also "ESP8266 by ESP8266 community" ver' 2.4.2
The only additional library I added was RTC by Makuna. I wasn't sure if there was anything else to do with that one.

Nugs

Me again. Still researching, trying new flashes etc. ...

More info to add.

1) I have now enabled Bluetooth in the config.h file (hadn't seen it or mention of it before). However, just as with the wifi, my devices attempt to connect, then just back out and the "Onstep" listing (both Bluetooth & Wifi) just drops to saved/previous in my phones' menus (I tried with two).

2) My config. files are attached.

Chad Gray

Do you have a laptop or other windows/mac computer you can use to connect to the wifi network to verify if WiFi is working or not?  Bluetooth on my Pixel phone always seems to "go away" after connecting, but the OnStep Android app still has a connection.  Some devices are going to complain about "no internet" on the OnStep wifi.  You can ignore that as you are joining a private OnStep network that does not give access to the internet.

The default IP address of the OnStep computer if using SWS defaults is 192.168.0.1

What OnStep and SWS versions are you using?

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 11:18 AM Nugs <n.c.robinson@...> wrote:
Me again. Still researching, trying new flashes etc. ...

More info to add.

1) I have now enabled Bluetooth in the config.h file (hadn't seen it or mention of it before). However, just as with the wifi, my devices attempt to connect, then just back out and the "Onstep" listing (both Bluetooth & Wifi) just drops to saved/previous in my phones' menus (I tried with two).

2) My config. files are attached.

Howard Dutton

The SWS Wiki has a section on this, which I just expanded, and it says all I know about WiFi basically...

In Case of Trouble

Many users report problems getting the modules to flash and operate, mostly this applies to ESP8266's, and the following tips have helped in some cases:

  • Repeatedly flash the module with the same exact firmware (no settings changes) until it starts up.  This has only ever happened to me once or twice with WeMos D1 Mini's, but for ESP-01's it happens frequently and usually requires 2 or 3 flashes (but I've seen it take as many as 5) before a module starts working.  The root of this trouble is unknown but poor quality flash memory is the suspect.
  • Other times we've seen cases where the background WiFi stack settings seem to interfere with the module starting up properly.  In these cases wiping all flash (and hence clearing those settings) seems to fix the problem.  This is done by switching the menu option Tools->Erase Flash "Only Sketch" to Tools->Erase Flash "All Flash Contents" and uploading this add-on's sketch again.
  • Another cause of trouble is the flash memory chips on a given module not working with the selected flash memory mode (Arduino IDE selection of QIO, DIO, QOUT, or DOUT.)  I would provide guidance here if I could, but that seems to be impossible to do (manufacturers randomly use whatever flash chips the can get their hands on!) so you'll have to experiment.
  • The general quality of the WeMos D1 Mini (ESP8266) modules has been questionable too so if all else fails, try another one.
  • If the module appears to flash properly but WiFi is unreliable:
    • Always follow the instructions here on this page and in the Wiki Uploading the Firmware with regard to which libraries you use.  This is important!
    • Sometimes other nearby WiFi devices can be operating on the same wireless channel and can interfere.  Physically separate them and/or change the channels so they don't interfere with each other.
    • Sometimes devices don't seem work properly with the ESP (library provided) DHCP server so addresses aren't assigned properly.  Assign the addresses manually if required.
    • Sometimes devices (Android) doesn't find an internet connection through the device and hopefully it will ask if you want to disconnect (answer no) and not do it automatically.  You might also want to check the device (Android etc.) settings to see if you can disable this "helpful" feature.

Chad Gray

I have seen the multiple flash thing also.  I usually flash the ESP32 and 8266 twice.  Reconnecting them from the computer between flashes.  Not sure if that helps.. It is just my process.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 12:24 PM Howard Dutton <hjd1964@...> wrote:
[...]

Oscar

with Wifi and SWS, i had similar "connecting"  "connected" "guard" and always stay in "searching ip" ".  i manually insert one static ip (192.168.0.100) and default gateway  (192.168.0.1) and all ok. I use an old android mobile not connected to other wifi, so no ip conflicts with my home wifi.
I enable wifi and bluetooth option in config.h
with the android app i use bluetooth.

i use wemos + cnc (build in bluetooth), and i added wemos mini for wifi.

Nugs

Thanks all so far for your replies. Now, to attempt a reply to each in one post ...

Firstly Howard - Thanks, just thanks. Despite not having gotten there yet. I have read through that info many times, but there is a step I have not yet tried - To try another module... Two things - Also to completely remove and redownload everything.
                           However, I think it works. It looks good, "Onstep" Wi-fi & Bluetooth options appear quickly enough, I just cannot connect.

Chad - I just tried my notebook and it too failed to connect to this network. It sees it just fine. Only my phones have Bluetooth and neither connected.
            I'm on Onstep ver. 4.24 and SWS ver. 1.0
            I've lost count of how many flashes now. Both using the same sketch and others with different versions etc. Only the recommended versions allow it to produce the Onstep access point.

Oscar - I cannot get a static IP. Due to my rural location my only source of internet is via my phones (two subscriptions/providers) and their hotspots.
             I got a GL.Net Mango travel router thingy hoping to fix that (for Xbox NAT settings issues), but I could never get it all to work. So it's phone>hotspot>router.
             I don't even understand it all. Seems like I can do it, but setting a static ip just lost me connection to anything.
             Bluetooth is the same as wi-fi. It's there but doesn't accept a connection.

Howard Dutton

Not sure what kind of phone you have there... but iOS devices don't work with the Bluetooth SPP that we use.

Nugs

Android, I think both on Android 10ish.

Nugs

Sorry lads but after another long night I still cannot connect. I have redownloaded, unzipped & installed the lot.
I've reflashed over and over with different upload speeds, QIO's & DIO's etc., I had been uploading Onstep to the ESP32 using the "ESP32 Dev Module" but since it says "Node MCU-32S" on the board itself I tried uploading to that instead.
No difference. Looks like I may have been wrong to choose "ESP32 Dev Module" in the first place because that is only stated on the Ethernet & Wi-Fi page for uploading the SWS to it. Was I wrong? It uploads successfully to either.

I've been trying to connect to wi-fi using a laptop. One time while taking too long trying to connect I hit "cancel". Somehow the laptop showed as "connected, no internet"... "Brilliant".
I was able to log into 192.168.0.1 where I entered my long' & lat', moved over to another tab and a message appeared saying I'm not connected.
I could not connect again despite reboots and then re-flashes. I also tried going down a couple of channels as the edges were very slightly overlapping with other networks on my wi-fi analyzer app. That didn't help.

Still no luck with Bluetooth either. I'm pulling my hair out here.

Howard, if you see this - You said "Sometimes devices don't seem work properly with the ESP (library provided) DHCP server so addresses aren't assigned properly.  Assign the addresses manually if required."
I don't know what this means or what to do about it. If anyone could shed any light please? Thanks in advance.

Also, is there a way with the MaxESP3 to just leave wi-fi out of it altogether and just control it over USB with the laptop? I'd love to get this running one way or another and that would do me for now.

Howard Dutton

On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 09:26 PM, Nugs wrote:
No difference. Looks like I may have been wrong to choose "ESP32 Dev Module" in the first place because that is only stated on the Ethernet & Wi-Fi page for uploading the SWS to it. Was I wrong? It uploads successfully to either.
Use "ESP32 Dev Module".

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 07:47 PM, Nugs wrote:
I added "ESP32 by Espressif Systems" ver' 1.0.4
Also "ESP8266 by ESP8266 community" ver' 2.4.2
Make sure you are using these still.

Howard Dutton

On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 09:26 PM, Nugs wrote:
Also, is there a way with the MaxESP3 to just leave wi-fi out of it altogether and just control it over USB with the laptop? I'd love to get this running one way or another and that would do me for now.
Yes.

Howard Dutton

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 06:02 PM, Nugs wrote:
On powering up, the D1 mini's blue light flashes, then stays solid after a few seconds.
That means OnStep is there and running and the SWS is there and running.

They are talking to each to each other.

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 09:24 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
Other times we've seen cases where the background WiFi stack settings seem to interfere with the module starting up properly.  In these cases wiping all flash (and hence clearing those settings) seems to fix the problem.  This is done by switching the menu option Tools->Erase Flash "Only Sketch" to Tools->Erase Flash "All Flash Contents" and uploading this add-on's sketch again.
I would do this.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 09:24 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
The general quality of the WeMos D1 Mini (ESP8266) modules has been questionable too so if all else fails, try another one.
I would also try this, bought from a different source, before giving up.

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 08:18 AM, Nugs wrote:
However, just as with the wifi, my devices attempt to connect, then just back out and the "Onstep" listing (both Bluetooth & Wifi) just drops to saved/previous in my phones' menus (I tried with two).
What I expect to hear somewhere is "I paired the devices", makes me wonder.

Howard Dutton

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 03:28 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 09:26 PM, Nugs wrote:
Also, is there a way with the MaxESP3 to just leave wi-fi out of it altogether and just control it over USB with the laptop? I'd love to get this running one way or another and that would do me for now.
Yes.
Connections and Applications

Nugs

I did pair the devices for Bluetooth, but once paired it is not connected, it just shows in "previously paired devices" and the Onstep app can't see a connection.