CGE power up

Chris Vaughan

I've been following this thread, nice job. The mount is tracking really well!

Jay Murphy

Thanks, Chris. It's been going really well so far. A combination of Howard's project, a careful tune-up of the mount, and a lot of tinkering is producing some nice results.

Jay Murphy

A single 10 minute exposure on the Eastern Veil nebula. Still working on getting PEC effectively integrated into guiding but the Canadian wildfires have made seeing so bad that I'm hesitant to go down any rabbit holes with the PEC. Better (or even decent) seeing will make much better guiding and subsequently more accurate PEC. I'll be heading out to Colorado under bortle 2 skies for 2 weeks soon. I hope to get all this hammered out once and for all.

Jay Murphy

If you zoom in on the image, you can see a very unpleasant diagonal streaking. As if someone dragged a fine tooth comb through the wet ink of the image. That's the smoke from the wild fires covering the entire Midwest :( the summer has been a complete waste.

tnut55

That's a darn nice image with Onstep/CGE.  Congrats.

I am envious.  In the suburbs of Houston for the last 30 years, I watched all the ranch land to the east and south develop and now I can almost read a newspaper at night in my back yard.

I took my CGE out last night with a home built 10" classical cassegrain to show my 4 year old grandson the moon, Jupiter and Saturn.  Later, I looked at various objects although they were nearly washed out in the light pollution.

I have to find some dark skies.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 10:01 AM, Aisling Lightworks
<stercust@...> wrote:
If you zoom in on the image, you can see a very unpleasant diagonal streaking. As if someone dragged a fine tooth comb through the wet ink of the image. That's the smoke from the wild fires covering the entire Midwest :( the summer has been a complete waste.

Jay Murphy

After enough training with the PEC (probably 15 sessions) it finally started working well alongside guiding and improved my error by almost .2". Really fabulous results. I've got nothing else to do to my controller now and am going to leave this thread alone, kick back, and enjoy the heavens. I gathered 3 hours on the Eastern Veil nebula last night. Also 20 minutes on the elephant trunk to see if it would show up. Should be able to do a good job on that one too. Thanks to everyone who helped. It's been a great journey.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:26 PM, Aisling Lightworks wrote:
I've got nothing else to do to my controller now and am going to leave this thread alone, kick back, and enjoy the heavens.
Hmmm ...

That is not how it works. You need to get with the program ...

For us, the journey is more important than the destination.

We get to use our rigs for 2 or 3 days a month. The rest of the time? We keep tinkering with it,
be that updating the firmware, trying different configurations, checking used equipment on
various classified ads, post here and on Cloudy Nights, ....etc.

It is like that neighbour that keeps busy tuning his car or motorcycle, adding features to it,
buying parts, ...etc., only to drive it occasionally.

Or maybe that is only the subset of us who have polluted skies and lousy weather ...

Nice images by the way.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:26 PM, Aisling Lightworks wrote:
I gathered 3 hours on the Eastern Veil nebula last night.
Very nice image.

Also 20 minutes on the elephant trunk to see if it would show up. Should be able to do a good job on that one too.
Is that a single exposure or a stack? Looks from the graininess that is the former.
Is the camera modified for Hydrogen Alpha?

Don't forget the Crescent Nebula while you are in that area ...

Jay Murphy

Haha, I'm taking a break from tinkering on this thing. It's been non-stop for 3 months. Now that I can actually gather light with it I'm going to put the few things I still need to do to it on the back burner. I somehow bent my coma corrector by over tightening the focuser on it so that's the next must-fix issue. I'm still on the journey, just going to slow down a bit.

Wes

I really wish I knew how to approach this type of build. I have no knowledge of code or electronics. A CGE kit would be amazing, Id pay $400 in a heartbeat! Tons of cheap cge’s on astromart.

George Cushing

Wes, experience starts when you begin. Some basic understanding of electricity is helpful and there's not any real coding involved.

Take a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R102xfcx75I
If you can do this you can do OnStep.

Cheers, George

Alexander Varakin

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 02:12 AM, Wes wrote:
I really wish I knew how to approach this type of build. I have no knowledge of code or electronics. A CGE kit would be amazing, Id pay $400 in a heartbeat! Tons of cheap cge’s on astromart.
Problem is that some machining is required for fitting NEMA 17 motors inside the housing.
To do machining, you have to disassemble the mount, although it is a good idea to re-grease the mount in any case.
CGEs are notorious for difficulty of disassembling.
Then some more machining required for adapting the motor bracket.
So it is a lot of work, not just a kit.
I converted multiple mounts, here is my rating in terms of complexity:
CGE > GM8 > CI700 > G11

George Cushing

Clay Gray's done a few of them.