Configuration Calculator 1.19+ and Driver Microsteps

Klaus

Hello together,

long time i useed the 3.16q on MaxPCB1.2 Board Teensy 3.6 with my Formax Mount with the following settings:

/ AXIS1 RA/AZM
// see https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/6-Configuration#AXIS1
#define AXIS1_STEPS_PER_DEGREE    294912 //  12800, n. Number of steps per degree:                                          <-Req'd
                                          //         n = (stepper_steps * micro_steps * overall_gear_reduction)/360.0
#define AXIS1_STEPS_PER_WORMROT     552960 //  12800, n. Number of steps per worm rotation (PEC Eq mode only:)                <-Req'd
                                          //         n = (AXIS1_STEPS_PER_DEGREE*360)/reduction_final_stage

#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MODEL            TMC5160//    OFF, (See above.) Stepper driver model.                                      <-Often
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS       128 //    OFF, n. Microstep mode when tracking.                                        <-Often
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MICROSTEPS_GOTO  OFF //    OFF, n. Microstep mode used during

without any problems.

Yesterday i updated to 4.24 s
After the Update i see an Error in SHC Display. Some readings later i found the Configuration Calculator 1.19+ and see the restricton for Steps per Degree and Microsteps.

I change the Microsteps to 16 and after reflash the SHC shows no error

First:  What is the reason for the changes. 
Second:  Supported Onstep the 256 microstep interpolation form TMC5160 by setting  16 microstep

Klaus

George Cushing

These are the driver control connections for the TMC5160

EN GND=on, VIO=off
M0-SDI SPI data input
M1- SCK SPI serial clock input
M2-CSN SPI chip select input (negative active)
M3-SDO SPI data output (tristate) Optional
M4-CLK  N/C
STEP  (1x,2x,4x,8x,16x,32x,128x,256x)
DIR
The µstep/full step options are 1x,2x,4x,8x,16x,32x. 128x and 256x are interpolated by the driver. And are not effected by the limitations of the controller's MCU. Neither of these µstep rates contributes significantly to tracking resolution. They are used to reduce the noise made by the motors. They are engaged by the SPI chip select function. This called by using the TMC5160_QUIET driver specification and selecting one µstep rate from 1x,2x,4x,8x,16x or 32x. See: https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/26586#AXIS1

• AXIS1_DRIVER_MODEL
    • Default Value: OFF
    • Other ValuesOFF,
      A4988, DRV8825, LV8729, RAPS128, S109, ST820, TMC2100,TMC2208,
      TMC2209, 
      TMC2209_QUIET, TMC2209_VQUIET,
      TMC2130, 
      TMC2130_QUIET, TMC2130_VQUIET,
      TMC5160, TMC5160_QUIET, TMC5160_VQUIET,
      GENERIC, GENERIC1, GENERIC2, GENERIC3,
      SERVO, SERVO1, SERVO2, SERVO3
    • Notes: This is the step/dir (stepper) driver model.
    • Reminder:
      • See the Stepper Driver Summary to learn more about the commonly used drivers.
      • SSS TMC2130 if you choose to set stepper driver current (in mA) with AXISn_TMC_IRUN (IHOLD, etc.) set the Vref pot. at 2.5V instead of by motor current as usual.
      • SSS TMC5160 you must set stepper driver current (in mA) with AXISn_TMC_IRUN (IHOLD, etc.)
      • The _VQUIET suffix (if available) causes the driver to run in stealthChop (silent) mode during tracking and slews.  StealthChop mode is not suitable for reaching high motor RPM's.
      • The _QUIET suffix (if available) causes the driver to run in stealthChop (silent) mode during tracking and spreadCycle during slews.

Klaus

Thank you George,

here in Germany we say:

"Whoever can read has a real advantage"

Klaus

George Cushing

Well, credit goes to the group for compiling a lot of information in the Wiki that wasn't as easy to find a couple of years ago. Probably time for an index or contents table.