Topics

Connection CDC with LX200 Protocol

stefacom1@...

Hello World,

I'm trying to connect onestep to CDC\ Skychart with LX200 protocol, to have acces a remote command to pilot in NSEO direction. But i don't know why it dosen't work ....

COM Port are conneced to good number because i can discuss with arduino upload software, and i can connect with ASCOM protocole in good condition.

Any suggestion, or correction ? very big thank you in advance...

SORRY for capture screen in french language, but essential can be understand..

Howard Dutton

Common problem is Mega2560's Virtual USB and "reset on connect" DTR hardware design.  If this is the problem, google it to find solutions and decide how you'd like to handle it.

stefacom1@...

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 01:28 pm, Howard Dutton wrote:
Mega2560's Virtual USB and "reset on connect" DTR hardware

thanks Howard, but it's complicate for me all this modification... i have tried tu use sky planetarium for pilot mount, but software on my are ravy slow....

do you think about another solution for pilot in remote the beast for adjut NSEO?

Sorry for my basic english...

Another option is to use ASCOM and POTH.  POTH has guiding controls built-in.

Another option is to use the Serial1 port of the Mega2560...  Sometimes Bluetooth works fine (it can be hit or miss - drivers etc likely to blame.)  A FTDI TTL serial to USB (virtual serial) on the Serial1 port works great.

Another option is to do the modification.  The biggest drawback is not being able to upload sketches without pressing the reset button.  Apparently a 150 Ohm resistor between reset and 5V will do the trick (from what I read,) doesn't seem too difficult to do.  Or cut the trace: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=258519.0

Khalid Baheyeldin

Not that I tried any of them, but here is a list on the Arduino Wiki

https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DisablingAutoResetOnSerialConnection

The 5V to Reset with 150 Ohm seems easy.

There is also mention of software solutions. Not sure if this means OnStep can be modified to not reset or what ...
Someone may try that route ...

I believe the Arduino Mega2560 has a second MCU on-board (usually a ATMEGA16U2) that handles the reset.

stefacom1@...

OK thank you for additional information, i will try in first the  120ohm wiring, and if it's not ok, the Big cut !!

stefacom1@...

Ok,  then as you can see on clone China, Big cut is not possible, or i didn’t find ...

then i have made à little plug bettwen reste and 5v....

i will try pretty soon....

stefacom1@...

Hello, I have recevied my new card yesterday, and all work so fine !!! :)

I have break the line, to disable port serie, then i can use CDC in lx200 mode with usb port without error of communication, or follow scope movement .

This is copy or original card (but i think not, more an original derouted, because , "made in italy" are write in top left of card), great price, in all of case.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mega-2560-R3-Board-2012-Offcial-Version-with-ATMega-2560-ATMega16U2-Chip-for-Arduino-Integrated-Driver/32785220814.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.55Z324

I have just another question to you, it is possible to use in same time, onestep and onfocus via same "com port" ?  best method to employe?

thanks a lot

planetibo@...

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 07:06 AM, <stefacom1@...> wrote:
I have just another question to you, it is possible to use in same time, onestep and onfocus via same "com port" ?  best method to employe?
Hi!
I have not seen an answer to the above question.
Is it possible to use OnStep and Onfocus on the same com port on an MKS Gen-L V2.0?
There seemed to be a solution in this post, but I couldn't get it to work:
https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/message/1873

Khalid Baheyeldin

Use POTH to allow two ASCOM drivers to talk to OnStep

http://astro.neutral.org/astronomy_blog/blog/item/2010/10/poth---an-ascom-hub-to-make-life-easier-in-the-observatory

planetibo@...

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 04:59 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
http://astro.neutral.org/astronomy_blog/blog/item/2010/10/poth---an-ascom-hub-to-make-life-easier-in-the-observatory
I use Poth to control Mount (Onstep) but, i can't select "Poth" in the Focuser Connection of Poth configuration:

Lloyd Simons

If you are using onStep as your focus controller then choose OnFocus in that drop down.

planetibo@...

I try: If i select OnFocus i have to choose a com port (the same that Scope Connection) and the connection failed; i think because com port is used by Scope Connection to OnStep.

Lloyd Simons

Right. You need a second com port in order to connect both. I used a serial to USB converter to give myself another COM port.

planetibo@...

I have workaround: connect to my Wemos D1 through Wifi, and i this case, i can connect Onstep and OnFocus in the Poth Setup.
But, I would use through USB because my computer will not be in the Wifi area of the Wemos (i use a  50m USB ethernet extender)

Mike Ahner

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 01:24 PM, <planetibo@...> wrote:
But, I would use through USB because my computer will not be in the Wifi area of the Wemos (i use a  50m USB ethernet extender)
You could use a small 3-4 port USB hub at the end of the USB ethernet extender. That would give you the extra USB->Serial channel you need and a couple of spares just in case.
-Mike

planetibo@...

It's good, I found the right parameters for "com0com" and "hub4com":

COM3 is my Com port of CHG340-MKS Gen-L v2.0

-Create Virtual port with com0com :
   COM9 > CNCB0
   COM10 > CNCB1

-Launch hub4com
hub4com.exe --baud=9600 --octs=off --route=All:0 --route=0:All \\.\COM3 \\.\CNCB0 \\.\CNCB1

-Now, i can configure "Poth Setup" with the "Scope Connection" on COM9 and "Focuser Connection" on COM10.