#EQ5 After sucessful EQ3 Mod - Starting a new Onstep Project: EQ5 with Onstep #EQ5

Frank

Hello everybody,

after my successful EQ3 Mod with onstep, I wanted to start PHD2 tracking and my new 50mm guidescope is about 600gram without the camera. So i decided to buy an used EQ5 which can handle 13kg. My Skywatcher 150p is about 6kg and with the camera etc, so it should be below 10kg.

My Plan is to convert my current Onstep BluePill STM32 for the new EQ5, there should not be much work there. But my Idea is to remove my Bluetooth HC-06 Module and upgrade it to HC-08 which is iOS compatible and BT Low Energy
I used Serial A (The same where the USB Serial is connected), is it possible to ad a command at Startup to Serial A? (I wanted to change the name of the BT module to "Onstep Bluetooth" or similar)

My second question is about PHD2, are there any hints to know, if i want to use PHD2 in Onstep? Any configuration hints?

And my last Question is: There are VIXEN MT-1 motors attached, is it possible to reuse them? Or should i use my 400Step NEMA 17?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day :)

George Cushing

You will not get anything near the performance from the the Vixen PF42-48s that you will from a couple of $10 NEMA 17s. The best the MT1s can do is about 30X or 0.125°/second.. The MT1s should bring $75 on the used market.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 05:42 AM, Frank wrote:
My second question is about PHD2, are there any hints to know, if i want to use PHD2 in Onstep? Any configuration hints?
Start with the default configuration, but use multistar guiding.
Try that for a couple of objects.
Then run Guiding Assistant and follow the recommendations in there.

It helps if you let OnStep manage all, or most, of your backlash.
The Wiki has an easy way to compensate for the backlash during daytime.
Start with that, and see how things go.

Frank

Ok Thank you!
I will use my nema 17 then.

Regarding backlash, i already did this on my old setup. Is it possible to run a serial command at startup to rename the bt Module on serial A?

I think i will regrease the eq5 before starting.

I will do it with patience :-)

thanks