ESPMAX3 No Wifi

Seven Jones

Hi Guys,
I have done my onstep board (ESPMAX V3) so far. And everything works up to two things.

On the one hand, I do not know how I can set the steps(16/32/64) with my drivers DRV8825. Find no jumper and nothing in the settings of the firmware?

The second thing does not work is WiFi (Wemos D1). The firmware upload was without problems. But as well as the part on the board is no longer luminaire. Do not find a WLAN signal either. What am I doing wrong. Do I have to activate the Via Jumper (AUX2 / AUX7 / ENC-PULL) extra?
thanks

Mircea Radutiu

AFAIK and as far as I have tested with MaxESP3 board, DRV8825 aren't recommended. I've tested them, along with pairs of LV8729 and TMC5160. The LV8729 proven to be OK, but my choice were the TMCs.
From what you are describing, as there is no light whatsoever on the Wemos D1, and no new WiFi when you power on the board, most likely there is no power reaching the board.

I've had some issues when the Wemos I was using would power up, the blue light was blinking continuosly but there was no communication with the ESP board and therefore the Wemos was showing the default WiFi ID called ESP-something-something. Until I reoved both the ESP and the Wemos boards, recompiled thei code and re-uploaded, I has these issues.

Seven Jones

I still had the drivers from 3D printers. I will definitely buy new ones. But which ones are the best. The TCM 5160 are pretty expensive. Can someone please give me a tip which should order me?

George Cushing

I found that the ESP32 usually connects to the D1 mini in one or two cycles. Recently I had problems getting connected. I rolled back some Boards and all is well.

Arduino IDE 1.18.13
Boards:
Arduino AVR Boards 1.8.3
ESP32 1.0.4 by Espressif Systems
ESP 8266 2.7.4 by ESP Community

Tools:
Select ESP Dev Module for the ESP32
Select LOLIN(WEMOS)  D1, R2 & mini OR  LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 mini Pro. for the WiFi module.

Your mini Pro may need and antenna if the on board antenna has been disconnected.

George Cushing

Really depends on your motors' current requirements. TMC2130s are fine unless you are driving motors with high current needs. They are about $6-7 a piece. Better to pay a few bucks more for a lower current requirement motor than spend them on higher priced drivers. Use the DVR8825s for the AUX3, 4 applications.

Mike Ahner

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 11:26 AM, Seven Jones wrote:
But which ones are the best. The TCM 5160 are pretty expensive. Can someone please give me a tip which should order me?
Hi Seven, I have TMC2130/s running 400 step, 1.78 amp motors running just fine & cool as well. I set the current at about 900ma~1amp and I've never had them get more than just warm. This is on a Vixen GP2 with a VMC200L. If you find they are running hot, you can always add a small muffin fan to case, but so far, I haven't needed it, even in hot Texas summers.

At one time, Howard's testing showed the TMC2130/s were some of the most accurate stepper drivers, & even slightly better than 5160/s. Not sure if that's still true.
-Mike

Seven Jones

<Your mini Pro may need and antenna if the on board antenna has been disconnected.>

The antenna I have not connected yet because the board does not even light up. I thought it's lying on the jumpers and I have to activate it somehow. Strange is only the via USB cable lights up.

<Hi Seven, I have TMC2130/s running 400 step, 1.78 amp motors running just fine & cool as well. I set the current at about 900ma~1amp and I've never had them get more than just warm. This is on a Vixen GP2 with a VMC200L. If you find they are running hot, you can always add a small muffin fan to case, but so far, I haven't needed it, even in hot Texas summers.>

Which exactly do you mean. From the TMC2130 there are also so much versions. Can you please show me a link?

Where exactly in the software I set the steps. Or goes with the XML. Document?
http://o.baheyeldin.com:1111/

Think ProBuild

Sir i need full tutorial on dobsonian telescope goto

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021, 4:33 am Seven Jones, <sofacity@...> wrote:

<Your mini Pro may need and antenna if the on board antenna has been disconnected.>

The antenna I have not connected yet because the board does not even light up. I thought it's lying on the jumpers and I have to activate it somehow. Strange is only the via USB cable lights up.

<Hi Seven, I have TMC2130/s running 400 step, 1.78 amp motors running just fine & cool as well. I set the current at about 900ma~1amp and I've never had them get more than just warm. This is on a Vixen GP2 with a VMC200L. If you find they are running hot, you can always add a small muffin fan to case, but so far, I haven't needed it, even in hot Texas summers.>

Which exactly do you mean. From the TMC2130 there are also so much versions. Can you please show me a link?

Where exactly in the software I set the steps. Or goes with the XML. Document?
http://o.baheyeldin.com:1111/

Robert Benward

Hi Seven,
I just finished my MaxESP a few weeks ago.  I had similar issues of the WEMOS communicating with the Onstep NodeMCU.  The two boards negotiate the baud rate between each other.  I ended up setting the baud rate to 57600 on both controllers.  That worked for me, the blue LED goes solid in a few seconds.  I can now work as an AP, and/or as a station on an open network.  I have yet to get it to join my home secure (with password) network.  Also, does your remember the date and time?

Bob

Mike Ahner

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 06:03 PM, Seven Jones wrote:

Which exactly do you mean. From the TMC2130 there are also so much versions. Can you please show me a link?

Where exactly in the software I set the steps. Or goes with the XML. Document?
http://o.baheyeldin.com:1111/

Hi Seven, I don't know where you're located but here is a link to Amazon USA for the TMC2130 drivers. Many have used Fysetc drivers as well, but whatever brand you buy, be sure you select SPI version. NOT DIY, UART or Step/Dir, only SPI. For Fysetc, that should be TMC2130 ver. 1.2 or 1.3

When using SPI style drivers, you set the steps desired in OnStep Config.h for each axis you are using. e.g. Axis 1 RA, Axis 2 Dec. You need to use the  Configuration Calculator spreadsheet first to calculate the step parameters, then you can put those values into Khalid's Online Configuration Generator to make it a little easier.

After that, you copy the newly created Config.h file into your Arduino OnStep folder and compile it.

Mike Ahner

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 06:03 PM, Seven Jones wrote:
The antenna I have not connected yet because the board does not even light up. I thought it's lying on the jumpers and I have to activate it somehow. Strange is only the via USB cable lights up.
This suggests you're not getting power to Wemos board. Please check all your connections but especially power and ground going to the Wemos.

Mircea Radutiu

Be advised that that Wemos board works by default using the onboard antenna. In order to be able to use an external antenna, you will have to reposition a SMD resistor located near the antenna area on the board.

Most likely the board does not receive power.
Using a voltmeter try to measure on the PCB board the voltage at the 5V pin of the Wemos.

George Cushing

This may make tracing your power easier. Check for a good ground also.

Seven Jones

Many thanks for your help. Alone I would never get that. :)

<Be advised that that Wemos board works by default using the onboard antenna. In order to be able to use an external antenna, you will have to reposition a SMD resistor located near the antenna area on the board.>

I already soldered the 0 ohm resistance. But it can not do that the board has no electricity or?

<This suggests you're not getting power to Wemos board. Please check all your connections but especially power and ground going to the Wemos.>

So I have measured the current. At Wemos +5V Port does -2V arrive at the 3.3V port also something around the -2.0V? How can the meter display a negative value? For the measurement, I took the Wemos 5Vpin and the Wemos GND Pin?

<This may make tracing your power easier. Check for a good ground also.>

I can not find a mistake on the board? Do not I have to supply the Wemos with Jumper with electricity? I only set  ST4 5v and VSEL to 5V?

<Hi Seven, I don't know where you're located but here is a link to Amazon USA for the TMC2130 drivers. Many have used Fysetc drivers as well, but whatever brand you buy, be sure you select SPI version. NOT DIY, UART or Step/Dir, only SPI. For Fysetc, that should be TMC2130 ver. 1.2 or 1.3 >

Thank you Mike for the link. I ordered the TCM2130 with SPI Ver. 3.0. :)

Mircea Radutiu

>>>So I have measured the current. At Wemos +5V Port does -2V arrive at the 3.3V port also something around the -2.0V? How can the meter display a negative value? For the measurement, I took the Wemos 5Vpin and the Wemos GND Pin?<<<

A digital meter displays negative values when the polarity of the probes is reversed. That is the red probe measures (-) and the black/blue one measures (+). Obviously you have a power issue coming into the Wemos.
Does the ESP32 board power pins show the same value? Could be that the 5V regulator is busted?

Seven Jones

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 08:23 AM, Mircea Radutiu wrote:
A digital meter displays negative values when the polarity of the probes is reversed. That is the red probe measures (-) and the black/blue one measures (+). Obviously you have a power issue coming into the Wemos.
Does the ESP32 board power pins show the same value? Could be that the 5V regulator is busted?

I have no explanation for that. Here's a photo of the measured value. When I came from the meter by chance to the Pin D4 with the GND cable, suddenly the blue Wemos LED was lightning. But has worked only once.

I will try to re-solder the pins on Wemos again. Maybe it's just a contact problem? But the minus 2.45V?

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 12:01 PM, Seven Jones wrote:

Maybe it's just a contact problem? But the minus 2.45V?

Are you sure you have the Wemos correctly socketed? When I compare it to mine it looks like the Wemos is one pin towards the middle of the board. Pictures can be deceiving but that would explain your symptoms.

I cannot see how you have the cables hooked up to the meter. Could they be backwards?

Seven Jones

Ok that was a contact problem. I had forgotten to solder a few pins of the Wemos. :)

Now the voltage of 5V and 3.3V are right on the Wemos.

But it still not working. No led light from Wemos?

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 12:31 PM, Seven Jones wrote:
But it still not working. No led light from Wemos?
Since the Wemos generates the 3.3V (it is not connected to anything else) from the 5V that tells us that it is getting and using the 5V. That make the ESP8266 itself suspect. I would reflash it and make sure it blinks (at least while still connected to the usb) before proceeding.

Seven Jones

Okay i'll try to flash the wemos agin. Are you sure that the three jumper has nothing to do with the power of the WEMOS?