Topics

flashing wemos and STM32 problems

Patrick Kastelijn

Another problem I have and the main reason I gave up on the stm32 controller is that I just cant seem to flash the firmware on the wemos.

I tried about 8 different ones and I only had succes  on the first one which died by an accidently short circuit.
I have several showing up as espC49 a and others with some different numbers and a few showing up as fary link whatever that means.

This is after I flashed te firmware in the arduino ide.
Everything seems fine when I flash them ,the blue led is blinking fast and in the ide I see the percentage of the writing of the firmware.
I managed to flash esp easy on them all via the nodemcu esp8266 flasher with a bin file and that's all working and showing up so they are not damaged.

Why cant I flash the Onstep wifi firmware on it.
I think I have all the settings right and if I change something the firmware does not upload.

Somebody  any ideas?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 05:41 PM, Patrick Kastelijn wrote:
Another problem I have and the main reason I gave up on the stm32 controller is that I just cant seem to flash the firmware on the wemos.

I tried about 8 different ones and I only had succes  on the first one which died by an accidently short circuit.
I have several showing up as espC49 a and others with some different numbers and a few showing up as fary link whatever that means.

Everything seems fine when I flash them ,the blue led is blinking fast and in the ide I see the percentage of the writing of the firmware.
I managed to flash esp easy on them all via the nodemcu esp8266 flasher with a bin file and that's all working and showing up so they are not damaged.

I think I have all the settings right and if I change something the firmware does not upload.
Flashing the WeMos is done directly from the Arduino to the WeMos using a direct USB cable.
The OnStep controller is not involved in the flashing (which is different than the Max and Mini PCBs).

I have never found an issue flashing the WeMos: the steps are straight forward:

1. In the Arduino IDE, open the WiFi-Bluetooth.ino sketch.
2. Choose "Wemos D1 R2 Mini"
3. Connect the Wemos directly to the PC
4. Click the arrow key

That is it. No editing of any config file. No commands in serial monitor, ...etc.

There were some reports of problems with a new version of the ESP8266 Arduino Library, but it had
to do with WiFi being unstable, disconnects, poor signal, ...etc. I can't remember the version that was
bad, but someone else will post on the specifics.

Dave Schwartz

It was the 2.5.0 version of the esp8266 board manager that didn't work for me, even though the 2.5.0 beta's up to that point had been OK. Symptoms were that it was very sluggish and connections dropped frequently. Once I went back to version 2.4.2 my problems were gone. I was just conversing with another STM32 kit user who had the same experience. His WeMos problems also got better after correcting an undervoltage problem out of the regulator (from 4.92V to 5.02V, although you need a fairly accurate digital voltmeter to set that).

On March 20, 2019 6:01:34 PM EDT, Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 05:41 PM, Patrick Kastelijn wrote:

Flashing the WeMos is done directly from the Arduino to the WeMos using a direct USB cable.
The OnStep controller is not involved in the flashing (which is different than the Max and Mini PCBs).

I have never found an issue flashing the WeMos: the steps are straight forward:

4. Click the arrow key

That is it. No editing of any config file. No commands in serial monitor, ...etc.

There were some reports of problems with a new version of the ESP8266 Arduino Library, but it had
to do with WiFi being unstable, disconnects, poor signal, ...etc. I can't remember the version that was
bad, but someone else will post on the specifics.

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Patrick,

To confirm that everything is working, I took the WeMos out of the PCB,
and flashed it.

I repeated the steps that I mentioned before, with one addition: as soon
as I see this message:

Sketch uses 332892 bytes (31%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1044464 bytes.
I press and release the button on the WeMos. But I use Linux and Windows may be different.

It flashed normally, and then I placed it back in the PCB, and the Android App connects and
works normally.

hitosi sato

Hi Patrick
I always Flash WeMos  using version 2.3.0 and 2.4.2. board manager.
at first using 2.3.0 flashing,next change to 2.4.2and writing(wifi setting and sketch) .
I don't know why this method works, wifi server did not start without writing twice by two versions.
I bought WeMos on Ebay.

Patrick Kastelijn

Yes,straight forward as it seems this isnt the case for me.
I m not new to arduino and am pretty sure i follow the directions.
I'm gonna do a fresh install of the arduino software.
Maybe that helps.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 02:40 AM, hitosi sato wrote:
I always Flash WeMos  using version 2.3.0 and 2.4.2. board manager.
at first using 2.3.0 flashing,next change to 2.4.2and writing(wifi setting and sketch) .
I don't know why this method works, wifi server did not start without writing twice by two versions.
I bought WeMos on Ebay.
I bought all of WeMos from eBay as well.
The Board Manager I have for esp8266 is 2.4.1.

Never had to do double flashing.

Tried it yesterday with the two WeMos in the two controllers I have.

hitosi sato

Hi Khalid

It sounds good!
I use IDE on windows10 1809 (Ide 1.8.7).
I have never used version 2.4.1.
I will try 2.4.1 next time.

Thank you good advice.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 09:00 AM, hitosi sato wrote:
It sounds good!
I use IDE on windows10 1809 (Ide 1.8.7).
I have never used version 2.4.1.
I will try 2.4.1 next time.

Thank you good advice.
Just to be clear: I did not explicitly choose this version on purpose.

It just happened to be the current version when I first installed the ESP8266 Board Manager.
I did not bother to update because of unpleasant surprises in many Arduino related libraries
(the IDE before 1.8.7 was problematic, and ESP8266 Board Manager 2.5.0 was also problematic).

Go ahead and try 2.4.1 and see if things work. Let us know. Thanks.

hitosi sato

Hi Khalid

I am sorry for the late report.
I did WeMos D1 flashing using ver.2.4.1 today.
Write operation to WeMos succeeded.
OnStep Wifi server works correctly and smoothly.
I felt that version 2.4.1 is better  than 2.3.0.
There are no problems for me.
The flashing conditions are the same as those described in the wiki.
And WeMos was connected to PC via USB.

Hitosi

Frank Johns

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 03:01 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

4. Click the arrow key
I too am having problem - probably due to my lack of Arduino knowledge.

I Opened the Wifi-Bluetooth.ino sketch in Adruino IDE, but cannot find the location of "WeMos D1 R2 Mini". In fact cannot find there to make any form of selection.

I expect it is somewhere obvious, but I cannot find it. Some advice appreciated.

Apologies in advance if it is actually fairly obvious.

Frank

Dave Schwartz

Sounds like you do not have the ESP8266 board manager installed.

In the IDE, under File, Preferences, you need to have the line:

http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

as one of the entries in 'Additional Boards Manager URLs'.

Then under Tools, Board, Boards Manager you need to install the 'esp8266 by ESP8266 Community' installed. I've had good luck with version 2.4.2. Some people are having good luck with 2.5.2 but 2.5.0 was a disaster.

Then you will see the 'LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 R2 & mini' under an 'ESP8266 modules' section.

With all WeMOS's I have encountered, the reset button needs to be pressed some amount of time after the compilation completes but before the upload connection attempt is made. It seems that the WeMOS only stays in upload mode for a short period of time after you connect the USB to get the COM port and it times out before the actual upload begins... pressing the button at the right time gets it into upload mode just when the IDE lauches the uploader. Its only about a 10 second window so you have to experiment to get the timing right.

On 2019-06-08 9:39 a.m., Frank Johns via Groups.Io wrote:
On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 03:01 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

4. Click the arrow key

I too am having problem - probably due to my lack of Arduino knowledge.

I Opened the Wifi-Bluetooth.ino sketch in Adruino IDE, but cannot find the location of "WeMos D1 R2 Mini". In fact cannot find there to make any form of selection.

I expect it is somewhere obvious, but I cannot find it. Some advice appreciated.

Apologies in advance if it is actually fairly obvious.

Frank

Howard Dutton

The Wiki is a good source of info...

https://groups.io/g/onstep/wiki/Wifi-Bluetooth

Howard Dutton

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 06:58 AM, Dave Schwartz wrote:
With all WeMOS's I have encountered, the reset button needs to be pressed some amount of time after the compilation completes but before the upload connection attempt is made. It seems that the WeMOS only stays in upload mode for a short period of time after you connect the USB to get the COM port and it times out before the actual upload begins... pressing the button at the right time gets it into upload mode just when the IDE lauches the uploader. Its only about a 10 second window so you have to experiment to get the timing right.
On Windows I've never ever had to press that button to upload.  It's automatic.

Frank Johns

That seemed to work. However I cannot get much life out of board. When I upload I get an error message, I am copying this below. Perhaps it will help to identify the problem. All the components with leds seem to be lit up.

Here is the error message:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Generic STM32F103C series, STM32F103CB (20k RAM. 128k Flash), Serial, 72Mhz (Normal), Smallest (default)"

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware -hardware C:\Users\Frank\Documents\ArduinoData\packages -hardware C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\Frank\Documents\ArduinoData\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=Arduino_STM32:STM32F1:genericSTM32F103C:device_variant=STM32F103CB,upload_method=serialMethod,cpu_speed=speed_72mhz,opt=osstd -vid-pid=10C4_EA60 -ide-version=10809 -build-path C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_236194 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_554939 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\OnStep\OnStep.ino
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware -hardware C:\Users\Frank\Documents\ArduinoData\packages -hardware C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\Frank\Documents\ArduinoData\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=Arduino_STM32:STM32F1:genericSTM32F103C:device_variant=STM32F103CB,upload_method=serialMethod,cpu_speed=speed_72mhz,opt=osstd -vid-pid=10C4_EA60 -ide-version=10809 -build-path C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_236194 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_554939 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\OnStep\OnStep.ino
Using board 'genericSTM32F103C' from platform in folder: C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F1
Using core 'maple' from platform in folder: C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F1
Detecting libraries used...
"C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\arm-none-eabi-gcc\\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -DDEBUG_LEVEL=DEBUG_NONE -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_generic_stm32f103c -DVECT_TAB_ADDR=0x8000000 -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOC -DERROR_LED_PIN=13 -w -x c++ -E -CC -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=72000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_GENERIC_STM32F103C -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32F1 -DCONFIG_MAPLE_MINI_NO_DISABLE_DEBUG -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/stm32f1/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/stm32f1" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/usb_lib" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\cores\\maple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\variants\\generic_stm32f103c" "C:\\Users\\Frank\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_236194\\sketch\\OnStep.ino.cpp" -o nul
"C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\arm-none-eabi-gcc\\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -DDEBUG_LEVEL=DEBUG_NONE -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_generic_stm32f103c -DVECT_TAB_ADDR=0x8000000 -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOC -DERROR_LED_PIN=13 -w -x c++ -E -CC -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=72000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_GENERIC_STM32F103C -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32F1 -DCONFIG_MAPLE_MINI_NO_DISABLE_DEBUG -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/stm32f1/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/stm32f1" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/usb_lib" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\cores\\maple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\variants\\generic_stm32f103c" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\digitalWriteFast" "C:\\Users\\Frank\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_236194\\sketch\\OnStep.ino.cpp" -o nul
"C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\arm-none-eabi-gcc\\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -DDEBUG_LEVEL=DEBUG_NONE -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_generic_stm32f103c -DVECT_TAB_ADDR=0x8000000 -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOC -DERROR_LED_PIN=13 -w -x c++ -E -CC -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=72000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_GENERIC_STM32F103C -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32F1 -DCONFIG_MAPLE_MINI_NO_DISABLE_DEBUG -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/stm32f1/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/stm32f1" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/usb_lib" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\cores\\maple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\variants\\generic_stm32f103c" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\digitalWriteFast" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire" "C:\\Users\\Frank\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_236194\\sketch\\OnStep.ino.cpp" -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_236194\sketch\OnStep.ino.cpp
"C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\arm-none-eabi-gcc\\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -DDEBUG_LEVEL=DEBUG_NONE -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_generic_stm32f103c -DVECT_TAB_ADDR=0x8000000 -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOC -DERROR_LED_PIN=13 -w -x c++ -E -CC -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=72000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_GENERIC_STM32F103C -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32F1 -DCONFIG_MAPLE_MINI_NO_DISABLE_DEBUG -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/stm32f1/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/stm32f1" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/usb_lib" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\cores\\maple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\variants\\generic_stm32f103c" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\digitalWriteFast" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire\\utility" "C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire\\SoftWire.cpp" -o nul
"C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\arm-none-eabi-gcc\\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -DDEBUG_LEVEL=DEBUG_NONE -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_generic_stm32f103c -DVECT_TAB_ADDR=0x8000000 -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOC -DERROR_LED_PIN=13 -w -x c++ -E -CC -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=72000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_GENERIC_STM32F103C -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32F1 -DCONFIG_MAPLE_MINI_NO_DISABLE_DEBUG -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/stm32f1/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/stm32f1" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/usb_lib" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\cores\\maple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\variants\\generic_stm32f103c" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\digitalWriteFast" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire\\utility" "C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire\\Wire.cpp" -o nul
"C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\arm-none-eabi-gcc\\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -DDEBUG_LEVEL=DEBUG_NONE -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_generic_stm32f103c -DVECT_TAB_ADDR=0x8000000 -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOC -DERROR_LED_PIN=13 -w -x c++ -E -CC -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=72000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_GENERIC_STM32F103C -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32F1 -DCONFIG_MAPLE_MINI_NO_DISABLE_DEBUG -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/stm32f1/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/stm32f1" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/usb_lib" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\cores\\maple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\variants\\generic_stm32f103c" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\digitalWriteFast" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire\\utility" "C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire\\utility\\WireBase.cpp" -o nul
Generating function prototypes...
"C:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\arm-none-eabi-gcc\\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -c -g -Os -w -DDEBUG_LEVEL=DEBUG_NONE -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -DBOARD_generic_stm32f103c -DVECT_TAB_ADDR=0x8000000 -DERROR_LED_PORT=GPIOC -DERROR_LED_PIN=13 -w -x c++ -E -CC -mcpu=cortex-m3 -DF_CPU=72000000L -DARDUINO=10809 -DARDUINO_GENERIC_STM32F103C -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32F1 -DCONFIG_MAPLE_MINI_NO_DISABLE_DEBUG -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 -DMCU_STM32F103CB -mthumb -march=armv7-m -D__STM32F1__ -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/stm32f1/include" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/stm32f1" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\system/libmaple/usb/usb_lib" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\cores\\maple" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\variants\\generic_stm32f103c" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\digitalWriteFast" "-IC:\\Users\\Frank\\Documents\\Arduino\\hardware\\Arduino_STM32\\STM32F1\\libraries\\Wire" "C:\\Users\\Frank\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_236194\\sketch\\OnStep.ino.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Frank\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_236194\\preproc\\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
In file included from C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\OnStep\OnStep.ino:55:0:

Validate.h:447:10: error: #error "Configuration: AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO should be less than AXIS1_MICROSTEPS or _OFF"

#error "Configuration: AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO should be less than AXIS1_MICROSTEPS or _OFF"

^

Validate.h:492:10: error: #error "Configuration: AXIS2_MICROSTEPS_GOTO should be less than AXIS2_MICROSTEPS or _OFF"

#error "Configuration: AXIS2_MICROSTEPS_GOTO should be less than AXIS2_MICROSTEPS or _OFF"

^

Multiple libraries were found for "Wire.h"
 Used: C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F1\libraries\Wire
 Not used: C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F1\libraries\WireSlave
Using library digitalWriteFast at version 1.0.0 in folder: C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\digitalWriteFast 
Using library Wire at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F1\libraries\Wire 
exit status 1
#error "Configuration: AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO should be less than AXIS1_MICROSTEPS or _OFF"

Khalid Baheyeldin

This is the problem:

"Configuration: AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO should be less than AXIS1_MICROSTEPS or _OFF"

If your MICROSTEPS is 32, then MICROSTEPS_GOTO can be 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16, but not 32 or above.

So, change it accordingly.

Frank Johns

Thanks Khalid
Please bear with me as all this coding might as well be in chinese!!
I searched in Config.STM32.h, where I assume the settings are likely to be and found that AXIS1_MICROSTEPS was set to 1 - (I am unsure as to why it was at 1 )

so I changed "AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO        1"    to    "AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO_OFF   and did the same for AXIS2

When I then tried upload the error had moved to

"Onstep: 205:15: error: within this context

if  (!urtc.active) { "

I'm afraid that 'wading around in treacle' may describe my situation.

Apologies for what may seem basic 

Frank

Howard Dutton

Post your configuration file.

Frank Johns

This is the Config file: Sorry to have posted the complete file below, wasn't sure how else to display it.

// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Configuration for OnStep

/*
 * === USE AT YOUR OWN RISK ===
 * For more information on setting OnStep up see:
 *   https://groups.io/g/onstep/wiki/home
 * Join the OnStep Groups.io at
 *   https://groups.io/g/onstep
*/

// WARNING: Steps/degree [480.0] for Axis 1 is below threshold of 12,800 for astrophotography
// WARNING: Steps/degree [480.0] for Axis 2 is below threshold of 12,800 for astrophotography
// WARNING: Axis 1 steps/second [2.0] is usually between 20 and 120
// WARNING: Axis 1 arc seconds / step [7.5] should be between 0.059 and 1.25
// WARNING: Axis 2 steps/second [2.0] is usually between 20 and 120
// WARNING: Axis 2 arc seconds / step [7.5] should be between 0.059 and 1.25

// Here are the values you selected:
// Mount type: GEM
// Board: STM32Blue
// Axis 1:
//   Worm wheel steps/rotation:  144.0
//   Transfer gear/pulley ratio: 3.0
//   Motor Steps/Rotation:       400
//   Microsteps when tracking:   1
//   Microsteps when slewing :   1
//   Stepper Driver Model:       DRV8825
// Axis 2:
//   Worm wheel steps/rotation:  144.0
//   Transfer gear/pulley ratio: 3.0
//   Motor Steps/Rotation:       400
//   Microsteps when tracking:   1
//   Microsteps when slewing:    1
//   Stepper Driver Model:       DRV8825
// Max Rate:                     96
// PEC Buffer Size:              600
// Based on what you entered, the values below were calculated:
// Please check they are as per the spreadsheet, and DO NO EXCEED the mechanical or electronic limits
// ===
// Axis 1
//   Pulse rate when tracking:   2.0 steps/second
//   Resolution when tracking:   7.500 arc second/step
//   Maximum Slew Rate:          21.70 degree/second
//   Motor speed when slewing:   1562.5 RPM
// Axis 2
//   Pulse rate when tracking:   2.0 steps/second
//   Resolution when tracking:   7.500 arc second/step
//   Maximum Slew Rate:          21.70 degree/second
//   Motor speed when slewing:   1562.5 RPM

// === CONFIGURATION START

#define STM32Blue_ON
#ifdef  STM32Blue_ON

// Mount type: default is _GEM (German Equatorial.) This allows Meridian flips and
// can be used for other mount types if that behaviour is desired.
// _FORK switches off Meridian Flips but allows travel across the Meridian.
// _ALTAZM is for Alt/Azm mounted scopes, e.g. Dobsonians
#define MOUNT_TYPE_GEM

// Microseconds per microstep default setting for gotos, can be adjusted for two
// times lower or higher at run-time
// Minimum* (fastest goto) is around 16, default=96 higher is ok
// * = Minimum can be lower, when both AXIS1/AXIS2_MICROSTEPS are used the compiler
// will warn you if it is too low
#define MaxRate                    96

// Axis1 is for RA/Az
// Calculated as (example for Losmandy G11)
//  stepper_steps * micro_steps * gear_reduction1 * (gear_reduction2/360)
//  400           * 32          * 1               *  360/360              = 12800
#define StepsPerDegreeAxis1        480.00000

// Axis2 is for Dec/Alt
// Calculated as (example for Losmandy G11)
//  stepper_steps * micro_steps * gear_reduction1 * (gear_reduction2/360)
//  400           * 32          * 1               *  360/360              = 12800
#define StepsPerDegreeAxis2        480.00000

// PEC, number of steps for a complete worm rotation (in RA),
// calculated as: (StepsPerDegreeAxis1*360)/gear_reduction2.
// Ignored on Alt/Azm mounts.
// Example for G11: (12800*360)/360 = 12800
#define StepsPerWormRotationAxis1  1200.0

// PEC, buffer size, max should be no more than 3384, your required buffer
// size >= StepsPerAxis1WormRotation/(StepsPerDegeeAxis1/240)
// for the most part this does not need to be changed, but adjust when needed.
// 824 seconds is the default.  Ignored on Alt/Azm mounts.
#define PECBufferSize              600

// Basic stepper driver mode setup
// If used, this requires connections M0, M1, and M2 on certain Pins, as per the 
// pinmap for both Axes
// Stepper driver models are as follows: DRV8825, A4988, LV8729, RAPS128, ST820, S109, TMC2208,
// The TMC2130 has several sub models: TMC2130 (spreadCycle,) TMC2130_QUIET (stealthChop tracking,)
// TMC2130_VQUIET (full stealthChop mode,) add _LOWPWR for 50% power during tracking
// (e.g.: TMC2130_QUIET_LOWPWR)
// Note: you can replace this section with the contents of "AdvancedStepperSetup.txt"

// Axis1 (RA/Azm):  Default _OFF, Stepper driver model (see above)
#define AXIS1_DRIVER_MODEL         DRV8825
// Axis1 (RA/Azm):  Default _OFF, Microstep mode when the scope is doing sidereal tracking
#define AXIS1_MICROSTEPS           1
// Axis1 (Dec/Alt): Default _OFF, Optional microstep mode used during gotos
// Optional microstep mode used during gotos (for example: AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO 2)
#define AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO_OFF

// Axis2 (Dec/Alt): Default _OFF, Stepper driver model (see above)
#define AXIS2_DRIVER_MODEL         DRV8825
// Axis2 (Dec/Alt): Default _OFF, Microstep mode when the scope is doing sidereal tracking
#define AXIS2_MICROSTEPS           1
// Axis2 (Dec/Alt): Default _OFF, Optional microstep mode used during gotos
#define AXIS2_MICROSTEPS_GOTO_OFF

// Light status LED by sink to ground (Pin ?), default=_ON.
// _ON and OnStep keeps this illuminated to indicate that the controller is active.
// When sidereal tracking this LED will rapidly flash
#define STATUS_LED_PINS_ON

// When OnStep powers up, it waits for a command to start an align sequence. Therefore, it does not
// start sidereal tracking automatically. This option starts sidereal tracking, and is very useful
// for initial testing, when you want to see if the controller is working.
#define AUTOSTART_TRACKING_OFF

// Enables internal goto assist mount modeling (for Eq mounts), default=_OFF (Experimental)
// Note that Goto Assist in Sky Planetarium works even if this is off
#define ALIGN_GOTOASSIST_ON

// Default speed for Serial B and C ports, Default=9600
//#define SERIAL_B_BAUD_DEFAULT 9600
//#define SERIAL_C_BAUD_DEFAULT 9600

// ESP8266 reset and GPIO0 control, this sets run mode for normal operation.
// Uploading programmer firmware to the OpStep MCU can then enable sending new
// firmware to the ESP8266-01
// Pin ? (Aux1) for GPIO0 and Pin ? (Aux2) for Rst control.  Choose only one feature on Aux1/2.
#define ESP8266_CONTROL_OFF

// Strict parking, default=_OFF.  Set to _ON and unparking is only allowed if successfully parked.
// Otherwise unparking is allowed if at home and not parked (the Home/Reset command ":hF#" sets this state.) 
#define STRICT_PARKING_OFF

// ST4 interface on pins ?, ?, ?, ?.  Pin ? is RA- (West), Pin ? is Dec- (South), Pin ? is Dec+ (North),
// Pin ? is RA+ (East.)
// ST4_ON enables the interface, ST4_PULLUP enables the interface and any internal pullup resistors.
// It is up to you to create an interface that meets the electrical specifications of any connected device,
// use at your own risk.
// default=_OFF
#define ST4_OFF

// If SEPARATE_PULSE_GUIDE_RATE_ON is used the ST4 port is limited to guide rates <= 1X except when
// ST4_HAND_CONTROL_ON is used.
// Additionally, ST4_HAND_CONTROL_ON enables special features: Press and hold [E]+[W] buttons for > 2 seconds...
// In this mode [E] decreases and [W] increases guide rates (or if tracking is not on yet adjusts illuminated
// recticule brightness.)
// [S] for Sync (or Accept if in align mode.) [N] for Tracking on/off. -OR- Press and hold [N]+[S] buttons
// for > 2 seconds...
// In this mode [E] selects prior and [W] next user catalog item.
// [N] to do a Goto to the catalog item.  [S] for Sound on/off.
// The keypad returns to normal operation after 4 seconds of inactivity.
// ST4_HAND_CONTROL_ON also adds a 100ms de-bounce to all button presses.
// Finally, during a goto pressing any button aborts the slew.  If meridian flip paused at home, pressing any
// button continues.
// default=_ON
#define ST4_HAND_CONTROL_ON

// Pressing [N]+[S] together selects Catalog mode by default, unless the following parameter
// is set to _ON. If it is, then [N]+[S] selects Focuser mode.
// Catalog mode:
//   [E] select prior user catalog item
//   [W] select next user catalog item
//   [N] Goto to the catalog item
//   [S] Sound on/off
// Focuser mode:
//   [E] for Focuser1
//   [W] for Focuser2
//   [N] move in
//   [S] move out
#define ST4_HAND_CONTROL_FOCUSER_OFF

// Separate pulse-guide rate so centering and guiding do not disturb each other, default=_ON
#define SEPARATE_PULSE_GUIDE_RATE_ON

// Guide time limit (in seconds,) default=0 (no limit.)  A safety feature, some guides are started with one command
// and stopped
// with another.  // If the stop command is never received the guide will continue forever unless this is enabled.
#define GUIDE_TIME_LIMIT 0
// RTC (Real Time Clock) support, default=_OFF. Other options:
// RTC_DS3234: for a DS3234 on the default SPI interface pins (CS on pin 10 for MaxPCB)
// RTC_DS3231:for a DS3231 on the default I2C pins (also wire the SQW output to the PPS pin)
#define RTC_OFF
// PPS use _ON or _PULLUP to enable the input and use the built-in pullup resistor.  Sense rising edge
// on PPS Pin in pinmap for precision clock source (e.g. GPS, or temperature compensated TCXO), default=_OFF
#define PPS_SENSE_OFF

// PEC sense on Pin ? use _ON or _PULLUP to enable the input/use the built-in pullup resistor (digital input) or
// provide a comparison value (see below) for analog operation, default=_OFF
// Analog values range from 0 to 1023 which indicate voltages from 0-3.3VDC on the analog pin,
// for example "PEC_SENSE 600" would detect an index when the voltage exceeds 1.93V
// With either index detection method, once triggered 60s must expire before another detection can happen.
// This gives time for the index magnet to pass by the detector before another cycle begins.
#define PEC_SENSE_OFF

// PEC sense, rising edge (default with PEC_SENSE_STATE HIGH, use LOW for falling edge, ex. PEC_SENSE_ON).
// for optional PEC index
#define PEC_SENSE_STATE HIGH

// Switch close (to ground) on Pin ? for optional limit sense (stops gotos and/or tracking), default=_OFF
#define LIMIT_SENSE_OFF

// BME280 I2C temperature, pressure and humidity sensor
#define WEATHER_BME280_OFF

// Light 2nd status LED by sink to ground (Pin ?), default=_OFF.
// _ON sets this to blink at 1 sec intervals when PPS is synced.  Turns off if tracking is stopped.
// Turns on during gotos.
#define STATUS_LED2_PINS_OFF

// Light reticule LED by sink to ground (Pin ?), default=_OFF.  (do not use with STATUS_LED2_PINS_ON)
// RETICULE_LED_PINS n, where n=0 to 255 activates this feature and sets default brightness
#define RETICULE_LED_PINS_OFF

// Sound/buzzer on Pin ?, default=_OFF.
// Specify frequency for a piezo speaker (for example "BUZZER 2000") or use BUZZER_ON for a piezo buzzer.
#define BUZZER_OFF

// Sound state at startup, default=_ON.
#define DEFAULT_SOUND_ON

// Optionally adjust tracking rate to compensate for atmospheric refraction, default=_OFF
// can be turned on/off with the :Tr# and :Tn# commands regardless of this setting
#define TRACK_REFRACTION_RATE_DEFAULT_OFF

// Set to _OFF and OnStep will allow Syncs to change pier side for GEM mounts (on/off), default=_ON
#define SYNC_CURRENT_PIER_SIDE_ONLY_ON

// Set to _ON and OnStep will remember the last auto meridian flip setting (on/off), default=_OFF
#define REMEMBER_AUTO_MERIDIAN_FLIP_OFF
// Set to _ON and OnStep will travel directly across a meridian flip without visiting the home position
// (on/off), default=_OFF (only applies if pause at home is disabled)
#define MERIDIAN_FLIP_SKIP_HOME_OFF

// Set to _ON and OnStep will remember the last meridian flip pause at home setting (on/off), default=_OFF
#define REMEMBER_PAUSE_HOME_OFF

// ADJUST THE FOLLOWING TO MATCH YOUR MOUNT ---------------------------------------------------------------
// set to _ON and OnStep will remember rates set in the ASCOM driver, Android App, etc. default=_OFF 
#define REMEMBER_MAX_RATE_OFF

// approximate number of degrees for full acceleration or deceleration:
// higher values=longer acceleration/deceleration
// Default=5.0, too low (about <1) can cause gotos to never end if micro-step mode switching is enabled.
#define DegreesForAcceleration   5.0

// approximate number of degrees required to stop when requested or if limit is exceeded during a slew:
// higher values=longer deceleration
// Default=1.0, too low (about <1) can cause gotos to never end if micro-step mode switching is enabled.
#define DegreesForRapidStop      1.0

// backlash takeup rate (in multipules of the sidereal rate): too fast and your motors will stall,
// too slow and the mount will be sluggish while it moves through the backlash
// for the most part this does not need to be changed, but adjust when needed.  Default=25
#define BacklashTakeupRate        25

// The two parameters below can be removed and settings in EEPROM will be used instead, be sure to set the Meridian
// limits in control software if you do this!  
// If you do not remove these lines Meridian limits will return to these defaults on power up.

// For gotos, how far past the meridian to allow before we do a flip (if on the East side of the pier)
// - a half hour of RA is the default = 30.  Sometimes used for Fork mounts in Align mode.
#define MinutesPastMeridianE      30

// As above, if on the West side of the pier.  If left alone, the mount will stop tracking when it hits the this
// limit. Sometimes used for Fork mounts in Align mode.
#define MinutesPastMeridianW      30

// Maximum allowed hour angle (+/-) under the celestial pole.  Default=12.  Ignored on Alt/Azm mounts.
// If left alone, the mount will stop tracking when it hits this limit.  Valid range is 10 to 12 hours.
#define UnderPoleLimit            12

// Minimum allowed declination, default = -91 (off)  Ignored on Alt/Azm mounts.
// For example, a value of +80 would stop gotos/tracking near the north celestial pole.
// For a Northern Hemisphere user, this would stop tracking when the mount is in the polar home position but
// that can be easily worked around by doing an alignment once and saving a park position (assuming a 
// fork/yolk mount with meridian flips turned off by setting the minutesPastMeridian values to cover the whole sky)
#define MinDec                   -91
// Maximum allowed declination, default =  91 (off)  Ignored on Alt/Azm mounts.
#define MaxDec                   +91

// Alt/Az mounts only. +/- maximum allowed Azimuth, default =  180.  Allowed range is 180 to 360
#define MaxAzm                   360

// Reverse the direction of movement.  Adjust as needed or reverse your wiring so things move in the right direction
// RA/Azm axis
#define AXIS1_REVERSE_ON
// Dec/Alt axis
#define AXIS2_REVERSE_ON

// Stepper driver Enable support, just wire Enable to Pins ? (Axis1) and ? (Axis2) and OnStep will pull these HIGH
// to disable the stepper drivers on startup and when Parked or Homed.  
// An Align, Sync, or Un-Park will enable the drivers.
// Adjust below if you need these pulled LOW to disable the drivers.
#define AXIS1_DISABLE HIGH
#define AXIS2_DISABLE HIGH

// For equatorial mounts, _ON powers down the Declination axis when it is not being used to help lower power use.
// During low rate guiding (<=1x) the axis stays enabled for 10 minutes after any guide on either axis.
// Otherwise, the Dec axis is disabled (powered off) 10 seconds after movement stops.
#define AXIS2_AUTO_POWER_DOWN_OFF

// Stepper driver Fault detection on Pins ? (Aux1) and ? (Aux2,) choose only one feature to use on Aux1/2.
// The SPI interface (on M0/M1/M2/Aux) can be used to detect errors on the TMC2130.
// other settings are LOW, HIGH, TMC2130 (if available applies internal pullup if LOW and pulldown if HIGH.)
#define AXIS1_FAULT_OFF
#define AXIS2_FAULT_OFF

// ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// THE FOLLOWING ARE INFREQUENTLY USED OPTIONS FOR THE MINIPCB SINCE USING ANY OF THESE WOULD REQUIRE SOLDERING
// TO THE PCB BACK AND ADDING OFF-PCB CIRCUITRY, MUCH EASIER TO USE A MAXPCB AND TEENSY3.5/3.6
// FOCUSER ROTATOR OR ALT/AZ DE-ROTATION
// ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Pins ?,? = Step,Dir (choose either this option or the second focuser, not both)
// enable or disable rotator feature (for any mount type,) default=_OFF (de-rotator is available only for
// MOUNT_TYPE_ALTAZM.) [infrequently used option]
#define ROTATOR_OFF 

// this is the minimum number of milli-seconds between micro-steps, default=8
#define MaxRateAxis3               8
 // calculated as    :  stepper_steps * micro_steps * gear_reduction1 * (gear_reduction2/360)
// Rotator          :  24            * 8           * 20              *  6/360                = 64
// For de-rotation of Alt/Az mounts a quick estimate of the required resolution (in StepsPerDegree)
// would be an estimate of the circumference of the useful imaging circle in (pixels * 2)/360
#define StepsPerDegreeAxis3     64.0

// reverse the direction of Axis3 rotator movement
#define AXIS3_REVERSE_OFF 
// Pin ?.  Use HIGH for common stepper drivers if you want to power down the motor at stand-still.  Default _OFF.
#define AXIS3_DISABLE HIGH
// Power down the motor at stand-still? Use _ON if you want to power down.  Default _OFF.
#define AXIS3_AUTO_POWER_DOWN_OFF

// minimum allowed Axis3 rotator, default = -180
#define MinAxis3                -180
// maximum allowed Axis3 rotator, default =  180
#define MaxAxis3                 180

// FOCUSER1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Pins ?,? = Step,Dir
// enable or disable focuser feature, default=_OFF
#define FOCUSER1_OFF

#define MaxRateAxis4               8

// figure this out by testing or other means
#define StepsPerMicrometerAxis4  0.5

// reverse the direction of Axis4 focuser movement
#define AXIS4_REVERSE_OFF

// Pin ?.  Use HIGH for common stepper drivers if you want to power down the motor at stand-still.
// Default _OFF.
#define AXIS4_DISABLE HIGH
// Power down the motor at stand-still? Use _ON if you want to power down.  Default _OFF.
#define AXIS4_AUTO_POWER_DOWN_OFF

// minimum allowed Axis4 position in millimeters, default = -25.0
#define MinAxis4                 -25.0

// maximum allowed Axis4 position in millimeters, default =  25.0
#define MaxAxis4                  25.0

// Enable DC focuser instead of a stepper motor.  Automatically uses Phase 1 if enabled.  Default _OFF.
#define AXIS4_DC_MODE_OFF

// FOCUSER2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Pins ?,? = Step,Dir (choose either this option or the rotator, not both)
// enable or disable focuser feature, default=_OFF
#define FOCUSER2_OFF

#define MaxRateAxis5               8

// figure this out by testing or other means
#define StepsPerMicrometerAxis5  0.5

// reverse the direction of Axis5 focuser movement
#define AXIS5_REVERSE_OFF

// Pin ?.  Use HIGH for common stepper drivers if you want to power down the motor at stand-still.  Default _OFF.
#define AXIS5_DISABLE HIGH
#define AXIS5_AUTO_POWER_DOWN_OFF

// minimum allowed Axis5 position in millimeters, default = -25.0
#define MinAxis5               -25.0

// maximum allowed Axis5 position in millimeters, default =  25.0
#define MaxAxis5                25.0

// Enable DC focuser instead of a stepper motor.  Automatically uses Phase 1 if enabled.  Default _OFF.
#define AXIS5_DC_MODE_OFF

// ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#define FileVersionConfig 2

// Include the pins file
#include "src/pinmaps/Pins.STM32B.h"
#endif

// === CONFIGURATION END
// This configuration was generated using the OnStep Configuration Generator
// On: 2019-06-07 08:07

Dave Schwartz

Did you have AUTOSTART_TRACKING_ON set when you tried to do this compilation? That's the error that results when I have it set (no error with AUTOSTART_TRACKING_OFF) and I've asked Howard to look into it.

On 2019-06-09 5:12 a.m., Frank Johns via Groups.Io wrote:
Thanks Khalid
Please bear with me as all this coding might as well be in chinese!!
I searched in Config.STM32.h, where I assume the settings are likely to be and found that AXIS1_MICROSTEPS was set to 1 - (I am unsure as to why it was at 1 )

so I changed "AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO        1"    to "AXIS1_MICROSTEPS_GOTO_OFF   and did the same for AXIS2

When I then tried upload the error had moved to

*/"Onstep: 205:15: error: within this context/*

*/   if  (!urtc.active) { "/*

I'm afraid that 'wading around in treacle' may describe my situation.

Apologies for what may seem basic

Frank