Got a G11, but help, what mount screw size?

Chris Vaughan

Hi all
I've got myself a G11 and want to onstep it. This will be my fourth mount conversion. I've started making the aluminium plates "g11_motor_mount_plate.pdf" in the files section.

But bolting the plate on the mount. What the heck is the size of this thread on the mount

Thanks Chris

adraasch

Chris,

I believe you will find them to be 10-24 UNC.  While most astronomy gear uses metric fasteners, Losmandy being a US based company elected to use Imperial thread fasteners.  These are common in the USA, but I understand they are difficult to find elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Arlen

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 5:47 AM Chris Vaughan <chrisv712@...> wrote:
Hi all
I've got myself a G11 and want to onstep it. This will be my fourth mount conversion. I've started making the aluminium plates "g11_motor_mount_plate.pdf" in the files section.

But bolting the plate on the mount. What the heck is the size of this thread on the mount

Thanks Chris

Chris Vaughan

Yes it's some weird non-metric thing. But I don't think that's it.Decided to measure and it's a 32 tpi thread and about 0.13 inches wide (whatever an inch is ...). Maybe #6-32 UNC ?

George Cushing

6-32, you know the screws that are used to retain 110VAC switches and receptacles.

I've been thinking it might make sense to run them out to 8-32.

adraasch

Chris,

Sorry, I was going from memory.  I should know better.

I just checked on my G11 mount, the screws are 6-32.

If yours are different, please let me know.

Thanks,

Arlen

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 8:29 AM Chris Vaughan <chrisv712@...> wrote:
Yes it's some weird non-metric thing. But I don't think that's it.Decided to measure and it's a 32 tpi thread and about 0.13 inches wide (whatever an inch is ...). Maybe #6-32 UNC ?

Chris Vaughan

Thanks for the help with those screws. Now continuing with my new (old) G11 build. Thinking of trying out a teensy 4.0

On the wiki page it says 'The Teensy4.0 has 1KB which is just enough to work though there is basically no catalog support'.
What does that mean? A problem?

Chris Whitener

I don't use the on board catalog.  You can put your object list into the local memory and then select and slew to it.  But almost all external sw uses its own so no need.  I have both the Teensie 4.0 minipcb and the 4.1 maxpcb running. They are great.  Have fun.

George Cushing

The Teensy is now priced at $25 plus shipping at $8, not including sale taxes. The ESP32 version has the memory and a parts kit for the SHC is $25, plus $8 shipping, I seems a rather simple choice.

PJRC has announced Teensy 3.2s are not likely for a year.

Chris Vaughan

That's a good price. Can get one here $43 AUS (delivery now), or $32 (delivery Oct) ...

I assume that with the teensy 4.0 - while I can't store the catalogue, I can still see see the bright star list that comes up when initialising- star aligning ?