goto to the wrong locations

danshid@...

Hi

I am testing the goto feature of GEM with maxESP I just finished, but it always goes to the wrong locations. I followed the procedures: complete polar alignment put the telescope in the home position (scope in east pier side, DEC=90 and HA=6h).

For starts on NE, such as vega, it roughly travels to the right spot. But when I select star on NW, it completely missed the targets. DEC moves to the west pier side, but the scope is still on the east pier side, so the telescope is pointing to the ground.

I also test it during day time. I use skysafari to check star location since I can see any stars in the sky. It is even worse than nighttime. DEC always moves to the wrong pier side; the telescope stays on the east pier side.

Thanks.

Dan

Martin Chapman

I had similar issues, if yourk action is set correctly every time, I would think one of the axes needs to be reversed. That's all mine took, then even a 1 star alignment puts everything in the frame of the camera.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021, 05:56 , <danshid@...> wrote:
[...]

I meant location 🙄

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021, 06:09 Martin Chapman via groups.io, <smartacus32=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

how to reverse the axis? Thanks.

Martin Chapman

It's in the config.h file, axis 1 or 2 rev, on or off

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 6:19 AM <danshid@...> wrote:
how to reverse the axis? Thanks.

Nick Bramhall

Question 2 in the FAQ covers this. It's recommended to work your way down point by point and see if you can sort the issue.

astrosathya

I had incorrect GOTO last week when I made my first CNCV3 build. I did something simple.
a) unplug one of the axis cables going from motor to driver board.
b) Execute a GOTO command.
c) instantly you'll see that whichever axis motor is running, thats the one plugged in.
d) If the axis is running but pointing the wrong direction (like mine did), check the wire sequence if its for example Red Yellow Blue Orange from right to left, I made it Blue Orange, Red Yellow. Works well now.

danshid@...

Thanks for all the information! I followed the steps suggested and found DEC is not correct and fixed it by reverse.

Then I found local time is always wrong, which gives the wrong RA value of the home position.

danshid@...

I used the following serial monitor port set up the date and time, but I see different time from web (192.168.0.1) interface. Here is the output
:Ga#
19:48:48#

On web interface I see
6/12/21 03:48:48 UT (web browser)
06/11/21 11:48:48 UT (21:04:30 LST)

Ocordinated:
current: alfa=14:59:41, delta=+90*00:00

Looks like the home position RA is still not right. I am in California. Now home position should be around 19h for east pier side.