Indi LX 200 OnStep

Chad Gray

I have been trying to get the Indi driver to work and i am having a hard time.  I have tried to roll back to earlier versions... still no good.

I deleted Kstars and all of it's local config and that helped.  It must have gotten rid of a database of previous data that was bad.  Here is a post describing my problems currently:
https://www.indilib.org/forum/development/1406-driver-onstep-lx200-like-for-indi.html?start=720#75459

I have a question following this thread:  Khalid you mention Ver4.  As far as i know i am using OnStep 5.1v according to the Indi control panel under Firmware version
https://github.com/indilib/indi/pull/1527

Do i need to got back to V4?  The versioning is confusing me now.

Thanks!
Chad

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 09:41 AM, Chad Gray wrote:
Khalid you mention Ver4.  As far as i know i am using OnStep 5.1v according to the Indi control panel under Firmware version

Do i need to got back to V4?  The versioning is confusing me now.
OnStep Version 5.1 is abandoned, and will be replaced at some point in the future with OnStepX (10.x).
You are better off using the latest 4.24 release.

The only thing that would make you stay with 5.1, is if you use the run time mount type selection
(i.e. switch between GEM and Alt-Az using the web interface). If you don't use that, then go to
4.24 like the rest of us.

Chad Gray

OK, i don't know how i started with 5.1

I switched to 4.24 but still have the same issues with the Indi driver not talking to OnStep.

Chad

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 4:15 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 09:41 AM, Chad Gray wrote:
Khalid you mention Ver4.  As far as i know i am using OnStep 5.1v according to the Indi control panel under Firmware version

Do i need to got back to V4?  The versioning is confusing me now.
OnStep Version 5.1 is abandoned, and will be replaced at some point in the future with OnStepX (10.x).
You are better off using the latest 4.24 release.

The only thing that would make you stay with 5.1, is if you use the run time mount type selection
(i.e. switch between GEM and Alt-Az using the web interface). If you don't use that, then go to
4.24 like the rest of us.

Khalid Baheyeldin

What is the version of INDI packages that you are using?
What platform?

Mine are from Jasem's PPA, on Xubuntu 18.04. There is a known issue that has been fixed
in the repo, but is not yet in any package.

I compiled from source, and everything works.

Chad Gray

I am on Raspberry Pi  Raspian with 1.9.1 indi

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 5:33 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
What is the version of INDI packages that you are using?
What platform?

Mine are from Jasem's PPA, on Xubuntu 18.04. There is a known issue that has been fixed
in the repo, but is not yet in any package.

I compiled from source, and everything works.

Khalid Baheyeldin

That is the same version that I have, where everything worked except for that bug I pointed (which is fixed in source, but no package yet).

No idea why you would see what you are seeing.

What happens when you connect from Serial Monitor at 9600, and type;

:GU#

Do you get a response?

Does the Android app work normally?

Chad Gray

I get:
nNpHzaEo26>#

Yes the SHC works and android app works.  I will test again after this email, but last i knew they worked.

Chad

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 5:50 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
That is the same version that I have, where everything worked except for that bug I pointed (which is fixed in source, but no package yet).

No idea why you would see what you are seeing.

What happens when you connect from Serial Monitor at 9600, and type;

:GU#

Do you get a response?

Does the Android app work normally?

Chad Gray

What do you get for the OnStep indi drive?
I have 1.11 and interface 141

image.png

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 5:56 PM Chad Gray <rchadgray@...> wrote:
I get:
nNpHzaEo26>#

Yes the SHC works and android app works.  I will test again after this email, but last i knew they worked.

Chad

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 5:50 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
That is the same version that I have, where everything worked except for that bug I pointed (which is fixed in source, but no package yet).

No idea why you would see what you are seeing.

What happens when you connect from Serial Monitor at 9600, and type;

:GU#

Do you get a response?

Does the Android app work normally?

Khalid Baheyeldin

So the issue is not on the OnStep side of things.
The status page in INDI is based on the output of :GU.

Maybe it is baud rate?

Khalid Baheyeldin

In your screen shot, you are using port 9999.
Change that to 9998 and try again.

Chad Gray

I recently switched to wifi instead of bluetooth and did not know it was 9998.  Isnt the Android app 9999?

Crap... well I might get some telescope time tonight... ARG!  I have been beating my head on this for days.

Thanks Khalid... i will test more, but having the right port sure would be a good first step!

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:14 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kbahey@...> wrote:
In your screen shot, you are using port 9999.
Change that to 9998 and try again.

Khalid Baheyeldin

Here is a screen shot of my INDI panel.

INDI requires port 9998, because it is a persistent connection.
When you use 9999, OnStep terminates the connection after every command.
The Android app knows how to handle this, but INDI (and Stellarium Mobile Plus and Sky Safari Pro) don't.
They assume the connection will stay open to accept future commands.
Port 9998 provides exactly that.